1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My condolences to you and your family.

2. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Sorry about sister.

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thanks guys.

Week 1 - Day 4 - Deadlift Day

Warm up: Prep drill x 5 reps each; 30 x 5, 35x 5, 45 x 3
    Working sets: 50 x 5, 55 x 5, 65 x 8 (last set is amrap)
    EMOM: 45 x 4 for 10 minutes
    Run: Plan is to run for 30 minutes after work this evening.

I am still in Holiday mode I guess. I didn't get out of bed in time to lift and run before work. Lifting is more important at the moment so I made sure I got that in. My plan is to run for 30 minutes after work. I will wake up early enough to lift and run tomorrow am.

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to read about your loss. That's awful, but at least you visited. And you've got the right mentality yourself--you recognize the family pattern and are working to advert it for yourself.

Jaer
    will be toasting your continued good health well after your 80th birthday!

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Week 1 - Day 5 - Overhead Press Day

Warm up: Hip stability exercises, Prep drill x 5 reps each; 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 20 x 3
    Working sets: 20 x 5, 25 x 5, 30 x 5
    EMOM: 20 x 4 for 10 minutes
    Ab wheel rollouts 10, pull ups 3
    Run: I got home from work and running a few errands last night and took the dogs for a walk. After that I went to the basement and attempted to run. After 3 - 4 minutes the left leg just didn't feel right. Nothing hurt it just felt wrong so I stopped. I chose not to run this morning but did add in my hip exercises. I also added some core work and pull ups which I plan on doing after every session.

Friday weigh in

Weight: 128.8
    Navy Tape method BF%: 16%
    3 point caliper: 10%

Yesterday was my first keto day since 12/21. I'm expecting to drop back down to 124ish in a week or so as my glycogen stores get depleted and I return to Ketosis.

#3865 macdiver, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Week 1 Day 6 - long run

No lifting scheduled.

Run: I ran my favorite 5 mile course to the and on the boardwalk. Everything felt fine. I don't know if Thursday was from deadlifting in the morning or just one of those days. It was great running outdoors. It was warm enough for shorts, a single long sleeve shirt and no hat or gloves. Stats are 5 miles in 44:39 for a 8:55 pace.

During my run, I ran into (pun?) a really good friend of mine who had surgery on Thursday for prostate cancer. The doctor thinks he got it all but won't know for sure until the biopsies are back. He was out for a walk which is a good sign. He is an active person who rides his bike a lot, kayaks, pickleball, etc. Before I met him, he had ridden his bike across the country. He started at his house in Maryland and finished in California. It was good to see that he is able to get out and walk so soon after surgery. He was about 1/2 mile from his house so a good distance 2 days post surgery.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice run and nice to read about how your friend is recovering.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Jaer

Thanks. Somehow I had missed your post

Seltzer

Thanks.

Week 1 Day 7 - rest

We did get the dogs out for a long walk in Lewes. We were also planning on picking up a gift certificate I had purchased via the phone on Black Friday. The restaurant was running a buy one get one special that day. We aren't giving it as a gift but are using it as a 50% off deal for ourselves. Turns out the restaurant was closed this weekend. I'll have to pick it up next weekend.

Yesterday I posted my run on Facebook. My niece commented that her 7 year old wanted to run so they did 3 miles at the 7 year olds pace of 13:33. I responded it is great the 7 year old wanted to run. My niece said they are dealing with some anger issues with her so they have started using running as an outlet for her. She said that the 7 year old was talking the whole time while my niece was trying to not die :lol:.

My niece and I are trying to run a race together this spring. The problem is she lives in Seattle. So I'm not sure who is flying where.

#3868 macdiver, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope your friend recovers well.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Best wishes to your friend. That is pretty amazing to bike ride across the US. I read a book of someone who ran across it in I think a little less than 70 days.

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hear there are some good wineries outside Seattle.....

Jaer
    has some friends who live there. If you haven't been, the city is pretty picturesque.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Me too. Thanks.

Thanks. His first attempt he tried starting in California and didn't get out of the rockies. He wasn't used to the mountains. The next year he started on the east coast thinking by the time he got to the rockies he would be good enough to make it across. It worked.

It is quite pretty with the Cascades and all. My twin lives on the Puegent Sound in Sequim which is how his daughter lives in the Seattle area.

Week 2, Day 1 - Squats

Warm up - prep drill x 5 each; 25 x 5, 30 x 5, 40 x 3
    Working sets 45 x 3, 50 x 3, 55 x 3
    EMOM 40 x 3 - 12 mins
    Run: No run today.

I learned that if I leave the EMOM timer page on my phone to go to pandora or something, the clock keeps ticking but it doesn't notify you of the top of the minute nor does it count the session. I went to pandora for a moment when I came back the top of the minute had passed so I did a set. At the end of 12 minutes it had only counted 11 sets. Oh well, at least I did all 12.

I woke up early this morning to drive to NJ, drop off the wife and dogs and go to work. I lifted after work today. Tomorrow I will work out in the morning. I will wake up in time to run after benching.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Week 2 - Day 2 - Bench Day

Warm up: Hip Stability, Prep drill x 5 reps each; 20 x 5, 25x 5, 30 x 3
    Working sets: 30 x 3, 35 x 3, 40 x 10 (last set is amrap)
    EMOM: 30 x 3 for 12 minutes
    Run: 2.4 miles in 30:00. I used the "performance" routine set to the highest level for my workout today. The fastest pace was my long, steady pace so I will be creating custom workouts to get my treadmill speedwork done.

I have been trying a 5/3/1 app to calculate and track my workout. For some reason it didn't increase the weights this week even though it decreased the reps. I have 3 weeks (end of next week) to decide if I want to buy the app for $6. If it had increased the weights the way that Wendler wrote the 5/3/1 program, it would be a no brainer as the app is easy to use. I probably will still buy and use it. Maybe it is just starting me slow or something.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a number of relatives that live in Seattle so I've been there a few times. A very nice place indeed.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Week 2 - Day 3 Rest Day

Week 2 - Day 4 - Deadlift Day

Warm up: Hip stability, Prep drill x 5 reps each; 30 x 5, 35x 5, 45 x 3
    Working sets: 50 x 3, 60 x 3, 65 x 10 (last set is amrap)
    EMOM: 45 x 3 for 12 minutes
    Run: no run.

I woke up with plenty of time, had my coffee, took care of the dogs and some dishes and "where did the time go". I had enough time for lifting but not for the run.

For dinner tonight, I am going to try making zucchini noodles to go with the chicken francaise that I am making. My first attempt at low carb noodles. I'll see how it goes.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Week 2 - Day 5 - Overhead Press Day

Warm up: Hip stability exercises, Prep drill x 5 reps each; 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 20 x 3
    Working sets: 25 x 3, 25 x 3, 30 x 7
    EMOM: 20 x 3 for 12 minutes
    Run: No run scheduled

Friday weigh in

Weight: 126.4
    Navy Tape method BF%: 16.7%
    3 point caliper: 9.37%

The zucchini noodles turned out okay. I think the franchase sauce is a little delicate so I could still taste the squash. With a stronger sauce the vegetable flavor would not come through. I'm going to experiment with mashed cauliflour and cauliflour rice as well. I might even try noodles made with a different vegetable.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A few years ago I bought a spiralizer and it's come in handy since the female Seltzers don't want carbs at dinner. Even after a few years I find getting the proper consistency of zucchini a bit tricky. Cauliflower is much more forgiving and I've made mock potatoes, rice and pizza "dough" numerous times with good outcomes. With that the food processor is your friend. Another low carb option is spaghetti squash.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks for the info.

Week 2 - Day 6 Long Run

No Lifting Scheduled

Run: I did the same run as last week. The difference was the temperature. Rather than a thin long sleeve shirt and shorts, I had on two layers top and bottom, hat, gloves, and socks with my sandals. When I started the temp was just below freezing at 31 per my phone. Fortunately the wind had died done from yesterday / last night. Stats are 5 miles in 46:21 for an average pace of 9:16.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice run.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

Week 2 Day 7 - Rest Day

Next week I have to go to Southern California for the kick-off meeting in a new project. I will probably have to go out there for meetings once s month or so through June.

For next week I am going to shift a few things around. I took a vacation day tomorrow and we will being heading back to NJ in the afternoon. Once home, I will do both my Squats and Bench workout. Tuesday will be a rest / travel day. I will run on Wednesday and Thursday. My co-worker told me about a path near the hotel with a nice running path. Friday will be a rest / travel day. Saturday will be deadlifts and OHP. Sunday will be my long run. Then back to my regular schedule the following week.