1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It seems I am not fully informed, or can't remember discussions about some of our upcoming travel plans. Some where in the time zone we've mentioned will work, but I need to solidify when we'll be available.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Some end of the year thoughts and a look forward to 2019.

I took a look back at my post last December where I had set some goals for 2018. They were

1. Exercise consistently.

This did not really happen. I may have been more consistent but looking back at my running there were multiple times where I didn’t do any running for several weeks in a row. Strength training was even less consistent. For instance, I have not run or lifted since 11/26.

2. Run a spring marathon and a fall marathon.

I did do this plus a 50K. I was actually going to run a spring marathon and a fall 50K but I was able to slip in the NYC marathon two weeks after my 50K.

3. Maintain normal blood sugar using a keto diet.

I did this as well. At my annual physical I was no longer considered pre-diabetic based on my A1C. My fasted blood sugar still is usually a little high but drops quickly if I eat a keto breakfast. Surprisingly, I have been able to maintain my keto diet even while living in a hotel for the last 7 months while travelling. I do occasionally eat starchy carbs or desert but I don’t do so on a regular basis. There have been days where I have had carbs with dinner and I still wake up in ketosis which is a good thing. My body has made the change from being a sugar burner to being a fat burner.

Two of my 3 goals were successful. And I must have exercised somewhat consistently considering that I ran 2 marathons and a 50K so goal # 1 wasn’t a complete failure but still I can do better.

For the next year, I really want to get more consistent with exercising. I’m hoping the training plan I have selected will help with this. It also helps that I should be at the office most days. There may be meetings and such requiring short term travel but mostly I will be home.

After my post last week, I continued looking for a new routine. I just couldn’t bring myself to do Stronglifts again. I also wanted something different than the push pull leg routine I was considering. I stumbled across a CrossFit website that recommended doing a strength building phase using Wendler 5/3/1 with an every minute on the minute (EMOM) of the main exercise at the end. The EMOM is supposed to help with speed and endurance. The website also talked about doing cardio afterwards but didn’t get specific with the cardio. The 5/3/1 will be run using the weight % and reps as typically prescribed. It will be the standard 3 week mesocycle. The EMOM will be the main lift that day at 60% for 4 reps / 10 minutes (week 1), 3 reps / 12 minutes (week 2), and 2 reps / 15 minutes (week 3). I will run the mesocycle 3 times (9 weeks total) before a deload week. At that time I may switch to a modified Wendler 5/3/1 two day per week lifting schedule which combines the squats / bench and deadlifts / OHP. This would allow me to focus a little more on running longer the other days. Or I may stay the course.

This should take a little over ½ hour per workout including the warmups which will leave ½ hour for running. I will lift & run on Mon (Squats), Tue (bench), Thu (deadlift), and Fri (OHP). I will do a long run on Saturday (minimum 60 minutes initially). Wed and Sunday will be scheduled rest days.

I’m looking for a 50K for the spring or maybe I’ll just do the coastal Delaware marathon again.

I’m going to start this program on Monday but will consider next week as week 0. I will use next week to determine my starting weight for each lift. Week 1 will start on New Years Eve.

Shamie likes this.
  3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like your end of the year wrap up. I am going to give you a "like". My first "like", I never noticed that feature before.

Good luck with your 2019 plans.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd say you pretty much nailed those goals. You said it yourself--you can't run races of that length without consistently exercising. So, well done. I can't really imagine a 50k race. What a beast.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thank you

Thank you

Week 0, Day 1 - Squats

All weights are in kg; % are training weight max (50 kg)

Warm up - prep drill x 5 each; 20 (40%) x 5, 25 (50%) x 5, 30 (60%) x 4
    Working sets 32.5 (65%) x 5,5,5
    EMOM 25 x 4 - 10 mins
    Run 2 miles in 19:17 for 9:38 avg pace using treadmill.

I am choosing to do all my working sets this week at 65% training max to reduce DOMS. The protocol is for 65%, 75%, 85% which I will do next week. I also cut my run short since I haven't run in a month and a was feeling it.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Merry Christmas everyone.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 2 - Rest. - We hosted the family for Christmas Dinner yesterday so I swapped my bench day and rest day.
    Day 3 - Bench Day

Warm up: Prep drill x 5 reps each; 20 x 5, 22.5 x 5, 25 x 3
    Working sets: Was thinking of doing 27.5 but it felt light so I did 30 x 5,5,5
    EMOM: 25 x 4 for 10 minutes
    Run: 2.02 miles in 19:43 for 9:45 pace.

I'm sore from squatting on Monday. I doubt I'll be as sore from benching today. The working weights were very similar. That is something that needs to be improved. My squats should be significantly higher than my bench.

Keeping the runs short and easy for now so I don't move into the too much too soon with both the lifting and running. Also I'm getting used to my treadmill. One thing I noticed is the pace on my watch and the pace on the machine is about 15 to 20 seconds per mile or more different. My watch is slower. It used to be closer hotel treadmills. ( 5 to 10 seconds).

For Seltzer's sake, the menu yesterday was

Apps:
    Sausage stuffed mushrooms
    Pepperoni bread (purchased)
    Baked brie with cranberry sauce topping and biscuits. (biscuits and baked brie were baked together in cast iron pan)

Apple and cranberry salad with homemade dressing
    Red Lobster cheddar biscuits
    Sparkling wine made from pears (not grapes) grown on 200+ year old pear trees

Beef rib roast (reversed seared on the Kamado)
    Smashed potatoes
    Green bean casserole (brought by a guest)

Mocha Ice box cake (made with layers of TATES chocolate chip cookies)
    Sugar free cherry pie (for the non sugar eaters). Note I had the ice box cake and all carbs
    Sugar free pudding (for the 3 diabetics)
    Coffee

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's one fine menu and I'm sure your guests appreciated it.

What type of exercise is EMOM?

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

EMOM is Every Minute On the Minute. So using a timer I do 4 reps each minute and get the remaining time of the minute for rest. For this week with 4 reps each minute, total reps are 40. This is a crossfit type of training (I think). The timer I use is a cross fit timing app.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    EMOM is a CrossFit term and training regimen. Dear daughter belongs to one of their boxes and I confirmed it with her.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 4 - Dead lift

Warm up: Prep drill x 5 reps each; 25 x 5, 35 x 5, 40 x 3
    Working sets: 45 x 5,5,5
    EMOM: 40 x 4 for 10 minutes
    Run: 2.5 miles in 22:34 for 9:02 pace. I ran outdoors today.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 5 - Overhead Press

Warm up: Prep drill x 5 reps each; 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 42.5 x 3
    Working sets: 25 x 5,5,5
    EMOM: 20 x 4 for 10 minutes
    Run: No run today.

#3852 macdiver, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 6 - Long run

Saturday will be my long run day. Since I basically took 2 months off from running, I was feeling all of my runs this week. I decided to keep todays run relatively short and only ran 3 miles. My plan is to make Saturday a 6 mile, 1 hour +/- minimum run.

3.01 miles in 27:19 for an average pace of 9:04. My average heart rate was 156.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Is that HR normal for you, or high?

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

It is about average for that pace / effort. Interestingly, the heart rate doesn't reflect how labored my breathing was for all of my runs this week. My runs this week should have been a "conversational" or "sing along with the music" pace but it was more of a "single word or two" pace. Just an indication of how quickly one's aerobic capacity decreases.

Week 0 DAY 7 - Planned rest day. Week 0 workouts 5 of 5.

I weighed in today. Going forward I will weigh in on Fridays.

Weight: 59.2 kg (130.2). The kg is to compare to my lifts.
    3 pt caliper BF % 9.97
    Navy Tape method: 17.5%

My weight has shot up from 124 to 130 since the first week of December. I have been enjoying myself over the holidays. I have not been eating Keto since 12/21. I will start Keto on 1/2 again. I think my weight will drop to 124ish pretty quickly once back on my diet. As typical for me, the navy test is probably more accurate. I carry my fat viscerally (in my belly) not subcutaneously (skin) so the calipers don't pick it up.

BUMMER ALERT.

This fitness journal has become my diary. I'm such a teenage girl. I'm posting this for my own mental reasons. You don't need to read below if you don't want to.

My sister who had had the heart attack in November must have had another heart attack yesterday and passed away. She was staying with a friend while she recovered. The friend went to the store but wasn't gone long when she returned my sister had already passed. My sister was 73 years old. 20 years older than me. My mom died at 72, my dad at 69. My family doesn't live long. Most of my blood aunts and uncles on both sides died around the same ages.

This is why I am here. I'm not sure how much is genetics and how much is lifestyle. I'm trying to control what I can. I may still die young but I will be able to walk and be generally fit.

I'm glad my wife, my twin brother and his wife and myself went to New Orleans and had the chance to visit my sister before she passed. When I planned the trip, I somewhat figured it may be my last time seeing my sister. I didn't expect her to have a heart attack the week before we went or for her to pass so soon afterwards.

#3855 macdiver, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Week 1, Day 1 - Squats

Warm up - prep drill x 5 each; 25 x 5, 30 x 5, 40 x 3
    Working sets 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 55 x 5
    EMOM 30 x 4 - 10 mins
    Run: No run today. I'm going to take the dogs for a nice walk in the park instead.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

My condolences to you and your family for the loss of your sister. Like you wrote, it was good that you and your brother got to see her during Thanksgiving.

I agree, at least there is comfort in knowing you did what you could.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Wishing everyone here a HEALTHY and WEALTHY 2019.

Happy New Year

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Week 1 - Day 2 - Bench Day

Warm up: Prep drill x 5 reps each; 20 x 5, 25x 5, 30 x 3
    Working sets: 30 x 5, 35 x 5, 40 x 8 (last set is amrap)
    EMOM: 30 x 4 for 10 minutes
    Run: 2.49 miles in 30:02 for a 12:02 pace. I started with a pre-programmed workout on the treadmill. It is the performance workout. After 7 minutes it still had me walking albieit on an incline of 5. I stopped the program and just ran at a 9 min pace per the treadmill. I did not reset my Garmin so that is why the average pace is a 12 and not 9.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Week 1 - Day 3 Rest day

I read the owners manual for the treadmill and figured out how to select a pre-programmed workout. The default workout is the easiest. I will try it again tomorrow and hopefully find an intensity that works for me. If not, I will have to manually adjust some of my treadmill workouts when I want to work on speed or "hills".