1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've seen videos of similar situations, but still can't imagine how emotional the scene must be in person, to say nothing about his/her loved ones and friends must be anguishing.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

This morning I went into the basement to lift. I decided to use the barbell so I did squats, bench, and rows.

3. macdiver

Yesterday was a holiday house tour in Lewes. We did some walking but no real exercise yesterday. Last name night we went over to a friend's house for Friendsgiving. It was a nice evening with a chance to eat a traditional turkey dinner with all the normal sides. We also had matzo ball soup and latkes.

Today my wife and I and a friend rode about 9 miles south to a restaurant, had lunch then ride back. Our friends ride was farther as she rode to our house and back home as well which is about 4 miles each way. Total distance was just under 18 miles.

#3823 macdiver, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Your day of "no real exercise" was probably more exercise than 80% of American's got yesterday. :)

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ain't that the truth!

6. macdiver

The no real exercise was referring to the house tour where we drove to each neighborhood and parked. We did walk between the 2 or 3 houses in each neighborhood though.

The bike ride while far (18 miles for my wife and I and 26 for our friend) was a leisurely pace. My heart rate probably never left zone 1. That said, I do recognize the bike ride as exercise, just low key.

7. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Catching up a little, what did you think of the WWII museum? I've been twice and I'd go again, I really liked it.

8. macdiver

We all enjoyed the WWII museum. I wish we would have allowed more time. We got through the pre-war section and the D-Day section only. So much more to see. We also saw the Tom Hanks narrated 4D movie.

I brought my workout clothes to Florida this week but didn't even put them on. I did return to my keto diet and by Wednesday afternoon I had that familiar ketone taste in my mouth.

Only two more weeks of taveling to Florida and this project is done.

dejavued likes this.
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had to look up what a 4D movie was.

Have a great weekend!

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Is that good or bad?

11. macdiver

Being home will be a good thing. I'm tired of hotels and eating in restaurants. I want to be in charge of my food and sleep in my bed. More importantly, I want to spend time with my wife, my dogs, and my friends.

This project ending was at my request. The client wanted me to stay for another six months or more.

dejavued likes this.
  12. macdiver

No workouts last week. This coming week I will get at least one run in. Since it will be my last week in Jacksonville, I want to get one final run on the beach.

Once I'm home I'm going to focus on weight lifting for a 12 week cycle. I'm between two plans right now. One is a beginners plan that I have tried before but never stick with and the other is more for intermediate lifters. By most strength training standards, I am considered a novice so the beginning plan probably fits me better.

dejavued likes this.
  13. macdiver

Since I'm not working out I might as well post about food.

Friday night I cooked one of the hello fresh meals for my wife. It was oven roasted potatoes, oven roasted green beans, and a ribeye with a truffle, sour cream sauce. I had already eaten on my way to Rehoboth.

Yesterday my wife baked a bunch of Christmas cookies for her office "cookie exchange". They each cook 5 dozen of one type of cookie then everyone gets a dozen of what the others made.

Yesterday I cooked a green bean casserole to take to the wine club holiday party last night.

This morning I made Kycklingleverpaté med portvin which is chicken liver pate with port. We are taking that to a Sweedish holiday party where every one is making a traditional Sweedish holiday dish. I guess the host has Sweedish ancestry.

For lunch I made another Hello Fresh meals. This time it was chicken sausage and chick pea tangine served over cous cous.

Hello fresh is interesting in that they give you all the ingredients and the recipe but you still have to chop everything and do all the cooking. The only thing it saves someone is putting together a shopping list and grocery shopping. I thought everything would come preped and ready to go into the oven but it doesn't.

14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

How was the Swedish holiday party? Whenever I think of Nordic food I think of Lutefisk and I get a little unsure of what that might be to experience. There are plenty of Nordic heritage places around here and I've been to some Christmas events in years past where the food was/looked very delicious.

15. macdiver

It was a fun evening. This is a food group where there are several professional chefs that are members and the rest of us like to cook so the food is always good. Each month is a different theme which is good because it forces you to cook something new. No sticking to your old standby dish.

There were several salmon dishes, different potatoe dishes, a chilled smoked fish with a dill cream sauce. Of course there were Sweedish meatballs but no lutefisk. Someone said they thought about bringing lutefisk, but they like the group and wanted to be invited to for events.

#3835 macdiver, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    dejavued likes this.
  16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like a lot of good eats of late. :eat:

macdiver likes this.
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Knowing that you and your wife are knowledgeable in a kitchen, given that with Home Fresh, and possibly other like services, one has to still chop and cook do you see any advantage beyond not having to do the actual shopping? About a year ago a relative of mine did a trial version of one of the services for his family and he felt that the ingredients were fine, but the portions were on the small side. Full disclosure, he's 6'5" and active, his wife is active, and they have two active boys who are about to be teenagers so unless half a cow was delivered it may not have been enough. :lol:

18. macdiver

For Hello Fresh, the vegetables and starches are portioned correctly. The protien is light. For instance, Friday's meal was supposed to be for two. The potatoes and green beans were what I would normally cook for the two of us (when I'm eating potatoes). The ribeye was one 12 ounce steak precook weight that they said to slice thinly and split . I would normally cook two 16 ounce precook weigt Ribeyes for us. I would not have any left. My wife would leave a little, 4 to 6 ounces post cook weight for her lunch with a salad. So I think the portions are small for the protien (the expensive part).

I think the advantage is for people learning to cook. You get a new recipe with all ingredients and good instructions. The tangine recipe explained the difference between slice, chop, dice and mince under the "starting strong tips" section then you used all four for the carrots, dried apricots, tomatoes, and shallots & garlic respectfully.

For people who know how to cook, you get new recipes. I will do the truffle sour cream sauce again. I have truffle zest and beef stock / bullion in my pantry and can buy sour cream. The recipe gives the proportion in normal quantities ie tablespoon, ounce, so you can do it on your own.

Now that my wife has used the coupon a friend gave her (under her name) and the coupon I got for my sandle failure ( under my name) she won't be ordering more. Mostly because we can buy and measure it cheaper. And unlike you, :dreamy: we cheat and use a lot of canned or packaged shortcuts. I'm just envious that I don't work at home and can't reduce a stock all day.:cry:

I'll post this publicly, We, the four of us, need to get together for dinner soon. It is out there now so it might happen.

#3838 macdiver, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    dejavued likes this.
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the review of the service.

I'm totally on board with us getting together for dinner and I'll even offer to host. :scared: Look at dates in mid to late Jan. We're booked for the rest of the year with family activities and a road trip after Xmas that ends on NY's Day. Sometime in early/mid Jan., yes I should know the dates, :rolleyes: we're going to the Dominican Republic and in mid Feb., exact dates to be decided, we're going to Florida to visit family.

dejavued likes this.
  20. macdiver

I need to figure out which weekends we are in New Jersey to toss some dates out.

For reasons I don't want to get into, no running this week.

Today was basically my last day at the client. I may go in for a few hours in the morning but I really have nothing to do and most people are out tomorrow. The group I had been supporting had their holiday lunch at an ale house today. Since we had a drink we were released from returning to work so it was a short day. After seeing my wine choices I decided to have a beer. Once I started with carbs I went for the cheeseburger with fries. Blood sugar was 136 about 2 hours after eating and 45 minutes after my last beer.

I'm looking forward to being home for a while.