1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You have strong willpower not to eat the rice. Feel better.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you're feeling better.

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

My will power is situational. I'm do okay with meals but not with snacks and exercise.

Thanks

Even though I am feeling better I didn't work out yesterday or today. No real reason other than no motivation.

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

Sitting at Vino Volo at the airport. My flight is delayed by at least 3 hours due to yesterday's storm. Had I been on the earlier flight, it was on time. Not sure how that works.

I use both the American airline app and flight aware app to track my flights. All day they were in agreement . At 3 the flight aware app showed that the flight switched back to being on time. I rushed to the airport not even stopping to get gas for the rental car. I'll pay extra for that. The app still shows an on time departutre 15 minutes ago. Not sure what happened. It normally is 5 or 10 minutes ahead of the Airlines app as it tracks the faa info. Not today.

Had the app not changed I was going to stop for dinner on the way to the airport and not get here 4 hours early.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

I have a busy week coming up. I fly to Jax on Monday, home on Wednesday, then Thanksgiving dinner with my wife's family. Thursday night we are staying at a hotel at the airport to catch an early flight Friday to see my family in New Orleans. We return the following Wednesday.

I'm not sure how much exercise I'll get in over the next two weeks . After this I will need to come up with my new routine and select a race for the spring. I need the race to help keep me motivated. I have several ideas but not sure what I want to do.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I always have a tough time with these breaks from routine. You can do it! :gl:

What races are you considering? I'm thinking about trying a race again in May or possibly June but think I'll defer that decision for a while.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

People watching at an airport is fun especially on really busy travel days. Just saw a lady with crutches that were decorated and matched her blouse. Made me wonder if she has different crutches for all of her outfits. The kicker was she really wasnt using the crutches to walk.

#3807 macdiver, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's hilarious; some people have too much time on their hands and it would be even funnier if she really did have different colored crutches. Could be a new fashion trend. :lol:

macdiver likes this.
  9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Do you see many emotional support dogs on your flights? On the Adam Carolla podcasts, he frequently rants about dogs in the the airport and on flights. :)

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I see dogs in the airport every trip. I've only sat next to a dog once. This was about two weeks ago. It was most likely a pet not a support animal since it was a Chihuahua. I also was on a flight to San Francisco once where there was a young lady with a handicap assistant dog. She clearly was not faking it to get the dog on the plane.

I'm okay with dogs on the plane and in public but I am biased based on having dogs that I would like to travel with.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

gazareth likes this.
  11. macdiver

Bronze Member

I woke up this morning and went to the lobby to get coffee. This location doesn't have coffee in the lobby or an executive lounge which would have coffee. The gentleman at the desk reminded me that there is a coffee maker in the room that I could use to make coffee. I responded "not without waking up my wife" to which he laughed and pointed out the coffee shop attached to the hotel.

I went for a run this morning. I think this is my first run since the marathon. I was definitely feeling it in the beginning and even had a side stitch. I was at just under a 10 minute pace at that point. Anyways it was a nice run. I started it on a path along the Mississippi River. Once it ended I ran past / through the French Market turning where it ended to run through the French Quarter. I ran back towards the hotel on Dauphine street which parallels Bourbon Street. I just couldn't bring myself to run on Bourbon Street. It would be sacrilegous. :lol:

Stats are 3.25 miles in 30:22 for an average pace of 9:21

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Must be a nice place to run. I have never been to New Orleans.

13. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice run! New Orleans is a fun place to run.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks guys. It was a great way to see the French Quarter without the crowds. My wife and I walked through it yesterday and it was insane. The big rivalry game between Grambling and Southern was at the Superdome yesterday.

I woke up this morning, and after my morning coffee, went to the hotel fitness center. I started with some core work and the prep drill before doing my db routine. I skipped the hip stuff as my db routine hits the hips and legs pretty good.

Yesterday my wife and I went out to Oak Alley for a tour. Afterwards we walked up to and down Bourbon Street but did not partake in the revelery. Dinner last night was at the iconic Commander's Palace. It was really good and the service was impeccable. However, I thought the food at Cafe Rebirth where we ate Friday night was better. It was more modern while Commander's was more traditional. The service at Rebirth was good but was just one waiter not a team of four as at Commander's. Both ended up within a few dollars of each other. Commander's Palace definitely wins in ambiance being built as this Restaurant in the 1890's.

Today is a family visit day. I'm picking up my identical twin at his hotel then meeting my sister and my niece and her family for breakfast. Then all of us are driving out to see my other sister. She is in the hospital after having a heart attack last Saturday.

The next few days will be spent playing tourists with my twin brother and his wife.

#3814 macdiver, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  15. macdiver

Bronze Member

I woke up this morning to find that the temperature had dropped into the low 40's. There is a 15 to 20 mph wind with gusts to 30. When I packed the forcast lows were mid 50s and high in the 70s. I didn't bring my cold running stuff. Also with that wind, I decided to use the treadmill. I did a ladder ramp interval routine. I did a 10 minute warmup gradually increasing the speed until I spent the last 4 at a 9:30 pace (my recovery pace). Then I did intervals of 1 minute fast 2 minutes recovery. I did a ladder increasing the pace each time until I hit my goal pace. I then did 3 intervals at goal. The paces were 8:30, 8:00, 7:30, then 3 at 7:00. I would ramp up at the end if my recovery so that I was at pace for a full minute then ramp down at the start of the 2 minutes of recovery. I ended with a 5 minute cool down.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your sisters health problems.

Kudos for getting in workouts on your vacation.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to read about your sister's health issues.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

This trip had two purposes. When my wife and I got married, my parents were in poor health so our trips here were sitting around their house visiting. After they both passed 20 years ago, we had only been back once for my BIL"s funeral. My wife had never heard a chance to really experience New Orleans. This trip was to let her do that while also seeing my family. My sister who had the heart attack is 20 years older than me. She is 73 which is about the same age that both of my parents passed. We planned the trip before the heart attack but that reinforced the idea that life is short. The timing of the trip was good.

We did the WWII museum and a walking tour of the Garden District with my identical twin and his wife today. At the start of the tour, the tour guide asks where everyone is from. I say Philly and my brother says Seattle . The guide knows I booked a group of 4 and looks at us and says are you brothers meeting here for vacation? Yes we say and he makes a joke about our wives comparing notes. Part way through the tour he is talking to my brother and I and he stops, pauses, and says " you guys are identical right?"

No workout today as we were out the door early to play tourists.

#3818 macdiver, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The fragility of life is very real and it's nice to read that you and your family are having an opportunity to spend time with your sister as she recovers.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

My flight home is running late. Not unusual but this time it was because the plane was carrying a Fallen Marine home to New Orleans. There is a ceremony. Everyone at our gate was standing at the window to honor him. While we could not see what was going on, there were still lots of tears.