1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like very nice customer service by the company.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Yes. I think they were going to send me a new pair of sandals but they were out of my size. Considering I paid $35 for the sandals and they gave me a $50 gift card and a nice note of apology, they are doing right in customer service. I expected to pay a couple of bucks for the replacement toe loop.

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the run! Thanks for the detailed report. It was nice to "tag along" from the comfort of my chair. For whatever reason, when I read that they had coke at the aid station, my mind didn't go to soda, like they were saying: "We have water, gatorade, coke, meth steroids--whatever you need to get you through this race!" Wasn't til I read Mountain Dew that I realized my error.

Jaer
    doesn't know much about coke other than what he's seen in movies, but it seems like it would help you run a race.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

If I do run in the NYC marathon, I will text you when I get there. I have your number from the Philly marathon. You once messaged me (I never deleted any messages):(, unless it changed from 2014. My start time would be 9:40. I will message you my phone number. They offer the "streakers" who ran 15+ NYC marathons an option of starting as a group at the end of the first wave. They did the same last year, but I got there late, and missed that opportunity, and started at the end of the last wave. It works at well for me, since I will be so slow, maybe I will finish before it gets dark (maybe, maybe not).

5. macdiver

My phone is the same. I'm in the 11 am wave so I will definitely have some time before starting.

6. macdiver

Brief update. I'm sitting on the bus waiting to leave as a NYC marathon finisher. My time was right around 4:45. I'll give a more detailed race report later.

7. macdiver

NYC Marathon Race Report

I'm keeping this one less detailed than normal.

Yesterday was a foot tour of the five boroughs of New York City. The energy and atmosphere of this marathon is at a completely higher level than any other marathon I've run. Brooklyn was a 10 mile long block party with a different band every block.

It was great seeing the different international running groups. I know I ran with or were passed by at least 10 countries including Norway, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Ireland, Mexico, Columbia and others.

A special thanks to Seltzer and his family for hosting me. Not only did he give me a place to sleep, he cooked an amazing meal (those potatoes were perfect). More importantly he woke up at 4:30 to drive me to my bus and picked me up from the bus afterwards. Suffice it to say that without his support, I would not have run NYC this year.

I have not checked the website for the official time but Garmin says 4:41 for a 10:45 pace.

I really didn't have many issues. I stopped and streched my hip flexors a few times in the last 3rd but that was more preventative. Except for the water stations, I didn't have to walk. Though I did slow down in the last 4 or 5 miles. The legs were feeling that 50 k two weeks ago.

Seltzer likes this.
  8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the run, and big shout-out to Seltzer for being a great guy!

Jaer
    loves this community.

Seltzer likes this.
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mac, it was a pleasure spending time with you and helping facilitate your experience.

Jaer, thanks for the kind words.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Congratulations. You make it seem so easy. Nice finish time.

When you mentioned you were running the NYC marathon, that was my guess of where you would be staying. It would be hard to find a better host, I don't think my own family would drive me to the bus at 5:30 am (and pick me up).:)

macdiver likes this.
  11. macdiver

I am surprised at how sore my legs are today. It is a moving, kind of random thing as well. One moment it is left hip then the right shin and so on.

I had planned on lifting today but decided an extra rest day is in order. I also thought I would go back to keto but snagged a warm cookie (or two :o) at the hotel. At least my meals have been low carb.

#3791 macdiver, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You getting all your necessary minerals? Sodium, potassium, magnesium, and all that? Though, if it's joint pain, maybe you need your essential fats....

Jaer
    usually takes fish oil.

13. macdiver

I think it is just fatigue from running a marathon two weeks after a 50k. It is mostly muscles and not joints. Today is much better.

14. macdiver

Pretty much a nice easy rest week. My client has an indoor walking loop that is 1/2 mile per the sign. I normally walk it twice a day, once in the morning and in the afternoon. On Tuesday I was moving slow. Today I was at my normal pace and felt good.

I ate low carbs at my meals but had a cookie or two at the hotel everyday. I'm not sure how my blood sugar is tracking as I forgot to pack my test kit.

Next week I will start my strength training and return to keto.

This weekend I may head out for a bike ride with the wife. Since we are at the condo there will be lots of dog walks.

15. macdiver

This morning I did some light yoga for stretching followed by my core and hip stuff.

My plan for the coming week will be a bike ride tomorrow, strength training on Tuesday and Thursday, and runs on Wednesday and Friday. Based on my travel schedule Tuesday will need to be after work and Friday before work. If I can get out of bed I will do wed and Thurs before work but I reserve the option to do those after work to get it done.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Any plans for a Spring marathon or Ultra?

17. macdiver

Yes. I'm not sure if I will do a 50k or a marathon. I need to start looking at my options though.

The bike ride didn't happen. We were supposed to go this afternoon after my wife played pickleball but she didn't feel like riding. We ended up doing a two mile walk on the boardwalk.

18. macdiver

I got to the hotel this afternoon after work and worked out. I started with core and hip work in my room followed by the prep drill for a warm up. I then went to the hotel gym and did a 3 x8 superset routine with dumbbells of

A. Goblet Squat / Bench Press
    B. Lunges / Bench Rows
    C. Single Leg Dead lift / OHP

I need to wake up early and run before work tomorrow since it is supposed to start raining tomorrow afternoon they Thursday afternoon.

I'm also going to get strict with my keto diet. No cookies (or anything not low carb) this week.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice that your hotel has the equipment you need to get a decent workout done.

Wishing you well with the keto diet this week; being on the road and eating right is tough.

20. macdiver

The hotel gym is ok. It has a bench and dumbbells to 50 lbs. It works for me for now.

My plan to run before work didn't happen mostly because I didn't go to work either. I was not feeling well so I took a sick day. I slept till 10:30 or so. When i went downstairs to get coffee the breakfast lady was cleaning up. She was surprised to see me so late then recommended herbal tea and honey instead of the coffee. I stayed with the black coffee.

I'm feeling better now. I'm sure resting really helped.

Lunch was chicken noodle soup from the hotel pantry. It only had 20 grams of carbs so not too bad. Dinner was Chinese takeout of chicken and vegetables (moon goo gai pan) .I didn't eat the rice so I'm probably ok on carbs for the day.