1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

This will really depend on what happens this weekend. My plan is to run 6 miles tomorrow, 20 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday which would give me a total of 43 miles for the week. My wife will be playing pickleball on Saturday morning so I thought I would be able to get my long run in but she wants me to go to the Condo board meeting. So I'm thinking of switching my runs but I need to find out what our Sunday plans are first. I may end up just doing 2 10 milers or 1 10 and on 15. This will be my peak week. I have had a 30 mile week which would have been more if I had not skipped two midweek runs.

I'm running on the beach in Jacksonville Florida. The sand is hard. There are people riding bikes on the beach with normal mountain bike type tires. Here there is no difference. In Delaware there is at least a 1 min / mile pace difference.

Today was a 3 mile run all on the street. Stats are 3.05 miles i8n 29:09 for a 9:34 pace.

2. macdiver

Bronze Member

6 mile run this morning. 2 miles on the road getting to and from the beach and 4 miles on the beach. Stats are 6.01 miles in 55:36 for an average pace of 9:16. My plan was to run this as a negative split run so these are my split times: 9:42, 9:34, 9:19 9:12, 9:12, 8:35. For the last mile I felt like I could go faster but I wanted to make sure I would finish so I held back.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

I was wanting to get in 15 miles this morning but by the time I got out the door I only had time for 12. My plan was to run a negative split. I don't have rocky trails to train on so I'm hoping these negative splits are going to help. For the first 6 miles I was keeping my running pace between 9:30 and 9:45. On the return I was keeping my running pace between 9:15 and 9:00. However when looking at the splits in Garmin, the average paces are about the same. I walked to drink water at the 3 and 6 miles on the way out but walked at 8, 10, & 11 for water on the way back and stopped to take a picture of a bird eating a fish. Unfortunately, she swallowed just before I snapped the picture. It may be my imagination but I think I see a lump in her throat.

Stats are 12.0 miles in 1:57:26 for an average pace of 9:47.

IMG_20181006_100449.jpg

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice photo. Did you take it with your phone? Seems too good for a photo from a phone.

Nice pace on your run.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes, that picture was taken with my cellphone.

A friend of mine had seen that bird in the same spot on Friday and yesterday. She was still there within 50 feet of the same spot today.

I decided to cross train today and took my bike out for a 50k ride. I basically followed the route of the marathon but added an extra loop in cape Henelopen along with extra distance in the beginning. I was pretty close guessing the route and only had to add a 1/2 mile on the end to make an even 50 k.

Stats 31 miles in 2:11:17 for an average speed of 14.2 mph.

dejavued likes this.
  6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

How long is your ultra?

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice training run and subsequent bicycle ride.

Looks like your trail run was in a very nice venue.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

This is a 50 K which is 31 miles to us in the USA.

Thanks. The picture is from Gordon's Pond Trail that connects Rehoboth to Cape Henelopen (Lewes).

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

I came in to post and saw yesterday's post was still in draft mode. I guess I never pushed post reply. :doh:

I went for my run this morning on the beach . There must be a storm system in the Atlantic off the coast of Florida because the beach was being pounded by waves. We have also had storms moving in of the Atlantic all day. Tomorrow Hurricane Michael will hit the Gulf coast of Florida and we are supposed to be on the outer edge of it. We are to have high windswand heavy rain. I have a feeling I may be running on the treadmill on Thursday and possibly tomorrow.

I did the 6 mile run with 4 miles on the beach. Stats are 6 miles in 59:17 for an average pace of 9:52.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I wasn't sure what the weather was doing this morning so I ran on the treadmill. I was a little late so I kept it short. Per the treadmill it was 2.5 miles in 24 minutes. My Garmin had 2.42 miles in 24 minutes. I did get off for a second or two to turn down the AC.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for a 6 mile run this morning. Since there has been a high surf and beach erosion warnings all week, I ran on the road.

Stats are 6.00 miles in 56:24 for an average pace of 9:24.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

I didn't get my run in yesterday. My plan was to do a one hour run. We did get the dogs out for a nice walk in the afternoon.

Today was a nice easy pace bike ride. We ride down towards Bethany. We stopped at the Indian River only before choosing the bridge and continuing South. Total miles was 21.5. The time and speed aren't correct since I forget to pause the watch as we walked around the marina and at a few other stops. We were averaging about 10 mph whenever I checked during the ride.

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've run Gordon's Pond Trail once or twice. Lovely area. Haven't been there in a few years.

Good job keeping up the training!

Jaer
    doesn't think he made it Rehobeth/Dewey at all this year....

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Do you feel ready for the Ultra (and marathon)? Any weather forecasts yet for next weekend?

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm as ready as I am for any race. Did I get in as many miles and runs as I planned, no. Will I finish, yes. Unlike my spring marathon where my hip hurt before the race, I feel good. I'm going to try and hit 6 hours but if it takes 8 (the cutoff) so be it. I need to be realistic with my travel schedule.

I was reading Outside magazine on the plane today. There was a sidebar type article with Katie Arnold who was the woman winner of the Leadville 100 this year. She is a 46 year old mother. I quote from the article

ALWAYS BE TRAINING:

"I didn't have a training plan. With kids, there's a lot of moving parts. Any time I was on my feet was practice: walking the kids to school, biking around town, running after dinner. Don't stress about a super rigid schedule".

It was good to see a top athlete recognizing what we normal people with jobs deal with. My walking through airports with 40ish pounds on my shoulders, the bike rides with the wife, walking the dogs, etc all add up.

I do try and get regular runs done. I read an article a few years back that said most training plans are for competitive runners that are being passed off as the minimum amount of training for everyone. The article said the real minimum to finish ia race is peaking at total weekly miles of equal to or greater than the race and one or more runs of about 66% of the race.

#3755 macdiver, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday I woke up with a slight tickle in my throat. I figured it was seasonal allergies. I went for an easy 3 mile run. Later in the morning it felt like I was running a fever. I took some ibuprofen and felt better. I also had some stomach issues yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure if the fever was related to the throat or the other. I was in bed by 9 last night and slept till almost 7 this morning. I still have the tickle in my throat but don't feel feverish and the stomach is better. Obviously, I didn't run this morning since I was sleeping.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Feel better soon!

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Ditto.

19. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

'tis the season right?

20. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

sure hope you feel better asap!!

3 days to go. :dance:

the above plus the fact you ultra train and still get in regular lifting and you have officially blown the title of your journal out of the water lol. :bow::bow::bow: