1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I pay close attention to where my feet will land and try to avoid stepping on things that hurt. This will make me either shorten my stride, lengthen my stride which really means I jump, or I will side step it. Since I run with a high cadence usually around 180 to 185 these adjustments don't add up to much difference in my gait.

And yes I frequently step on something that hurts because I didn't see it. Hope that answers your question.

2. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for my run this morning. I thought about driving to the beach and running on it then decided that it is easier to just run from the hotel. So I ran to the beach, ran 1.5 miles on the beach then back to the hotel. I was only planning on running 1 mile on the beach but it was so nice running at sunrise I went a little longer. According to my watch I had a little over 2 minutes of not moving. I had to cross some roads and I stopped to take pictures of the sunrise.

Stats are 3.57 miles in 36:05 for an average pace of 10:07. My moving pace was 9:34. IMG_20180726_063951.jpg

3. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice venue to exercise.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks guys.

I didn't get to work out this morning. I had to pack and get to the site early for an early morning meeting with the head client.

I am flying home today then will be leaving on vacation tomorrow am. My goal is to get as many runs as I can during the week. Plus we are going to the mountains, so there will be hiking and biking most days. The outdoor activities will be considered bonus work.

dejavued likes this.
  6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Have a great vacation.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Enjoy Mac!

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

My training plan had me running 8 miles yesterday and 6 miles today. Since I couldn't run yesterday I decided to do a time shift. I ran 8 miles today and will do 6 tomorrow. I did a loop I saw on the map which I figured would be about 7 miles. It starts downhill then runs uphill past a ski resort then back to the hotel. While running I thought my total elevation change would be around 500 to 750 down then more back up then down to the hotel. I am definitely used to running in the flat lands. The total change was less than 250 feet.

Stats are 8.09 miles in 1:16:55 for an average pace of 9:31. Elevation stats are minimum 1052 ft, maximum 1232.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Silly me. I forgot that you were on vacation and became very confused when you wrote about hills and the hotel because I was thinking of FL. :lol:

Enjoy your time away.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

:lol:

We did 5 miles of hiking yesterday. 2 miles to a water fall and 3 miles up a mountain.

The run didn't happen this morning. I woke up around 5 and decided to sleep a little longer. The next time I woke up it was almost 7:30.

We did a 24 mile bike ride today. So even though I didn't run I did do something. The rude was a rail to trail paved path so along some lakes and a river

dejavued likes this.
  11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You do more physical activity on a vacation than most.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

No run this morning.

We went for a hike to the Race Brook falls which is listed as a moderate to difficult hike. The first mile to the lower falls was not too steep the second mile to the upper falls was 1050 ft up to the bottom of the falls and another couple hundred to the top where we stopped had lunch then headed down.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for a 3 mile run this morning. I took it easy on the first half as I ran down hill past the ski resort then I turned around and attacked the hill. Had I not slowed to cool down for the last .25 mile my pace for the last mile would have been around 7 to 7:15. As it was it was an 8:07 pace.

Stats are 3.02 miles in 26:17 for an average pace of 8:42.

Screenshot_20180801-093547.png

Screenshot_20180801-093554.png

Notice the pace vs elevation.

#3693 macdiver, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    dejavued likes this.
  14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So far an active and I hope an enjoyable vacation.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

I found a park near this hotel that has mountain biking and hiking so I went there for a trail run. When I started out I was having a hard time catching my breath. I was sure why. After a few minutes it settled down and I was fine. Checking my Garmin data, my heart rate spiked over 210 and stayed there for several minutes at the beginning. I don't know what was going on since the trail wasn't steep yet. Glad it returned to normal for the rest of the run.

The trail was Rocky and slippery at several points. Even so, my sandals were good. I will need to check out the mountain biking trail that my ultra uses before hand though. I may need to switch to a closed shoe to protect the top if my feet from sticks and stones and broken bones :lol:

Stats are 4.58 miles in 1:06:58 for an average pace of 14:33 and total elevation gain of 597 ft. This includes a lot if stops to check the maps as there were quite a few unmarked side trails. I didn't want to get lost.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

When I woke up Saturday morning, I had a message from a friend whose wife has MS. She was in the hospital and he wanted to know if I was in town to come over for a beer . He needed to talk. I told him I would be getting home from vacation around 3 and I would let him know when we got home. He was at the hospital till 8 or so and asked if I could come over around 9. I was there till 1. My dogs woke me at 6. I chose not to run my 10 miles as I was really tired. We did take the dogs to a park for a nice walk . I did some chores afterwards before heading to a friend's house for a pool party and dinner. I didn't swim as he can't get in and out of the pool anymore so I hung with him while the ladies enjoyed the pool.

This morning I flew to Florida. The forecast looks good so I will run in the afternoons on the beach. I find that more enjoyable even with the heat.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mac, there's no doubt in my mind that you made the right decision. You're a good friend and I'm sorry to read about what is happening to your friends. It's a terrible disease.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

My training plan called for a 2 mile run today. My plan was to run 3. I was running on the beach. I don't know why but I was struggling. It could have been the heat, dehydration, or switching back to keto or a combination of that. Either way I just did the prescribed 2 miles.

2 miles in 19:59 for a 10 min pace. Elevation change was 3 feet. It must had been when I had to run up around some fishing poles and umbrella.

For full disclosure, last week on vacation I allowed myself to eat carbs. Mostly I was eating sandwiches and potatoes but I did have some candy and chips. This week is back to keto

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

I decided to do something a little different tonight. I had found a running club in Jax Beach that has a Wednesday run. It starts and ends at a local brewery. The run starts at 7:15 pm so I had to eat an early dinner. I chose not to stay for the beer afterword mainly due to my Keto diet. If I was fully in Ketosis, I could recover from a beer or two pretty quickly. Since I may just be re entering Ketosis after last week, the beer would be a bigger setback than normal. It was a nice run. I chose the 3 mile option. There were probably 25 - 30 people. Some ran 5 miles, some ran / walked 1 - 2 miles and most ran 3 miles. I quickly found people running around a 9 min pace. My overall time is higher due to stopping at a few major intersections to cross.

Stats 3.07 miles in 28:40 for an average pace of 9:20.

#3699 macdiver, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  20. macdiver

Bronze Member

The thunderstorms started around 3:30 and it is still raining with the occasional lightning strike. I decided not to run. The lightning at 4:30 was quite impressive. I think it was hitting just off shore but wasn't going to go to the beach to find out.

I'm debating do I run in the morning or lift. It was suppose to be a lifting day.