1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So a bit ago I was going to suggest something as an alternative to end of the evening drinking when you are on the road. Sometimes, that kind of behavior is to numb out feelings - in this case I suspect loneliness. (I have that issue with food.)

This is just a thought and I hope it doesn't seem too crude -- but since you are on the road so much, have you thought of SKYPEing with your wife and having fun ;) online. It could be a time for the two of you to play out fantasies -- take turns- revitalize and aspect of your relationship. If there is hesitancy on one or the other's part - give that person first control.

There are people who use physical pleasure to numb out feelings just as there are people who use drinking to numb out feelings. But not every use of physical pleasure - particularly in the "scandalous" vein is necessarily for that purpose. And these kind of exchanges where Skype provides a certain sense of safety because of distance can also create a new level of intimacy....

Well... I have probably ruined my reputation here forever....:o

dejavued likes this.
  2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Justitia,

Thanks for the suggestion. Loneliness us definitely a big part of the problem.

In other news, last Saturday I made an appointment to get my car fixed while I am home. The check engine light had been on for a month. It would turn off occasionally then turn right back on in a few miles. On Sunday it went off and stayed off. The mechanic said there were no codes. When I had it checked at AutoZone when the light was on it was an O2 sensor. I asked the mechanic if it would pass inspection and he said yes. I passed inspection this morning with no problem. I'm thinking it was be gas. I had read that if the O2 sensor is good then it meant plugged fuel injector. I had gotten gas at the same no brand station 3 weeks in a row. Last week I got gas at a different location.

dejavued likes this.
  3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Your blood results were very good. Especially the HDL / LDL ratio. I didn't know that pre-diabetes A1C over 5.7 was pre-diabetes. I thought you were safe as long as it was under 6.00.

4. macdiver

No real exercise lately. Just hip mobility and strengthening.

Happy Independence Day everyone.

5. macdiver

Did a short run today. We went to the beach hoping to get to spend some time in the sand before the rain. About a half hour after we got there they closed the beach due to lightning. We put everything in the car then walked up to the bathroom. It started pouring. After waiting 20 minutes or so for it to pass I heard someone say that it was supposed to keep raining for another 45 minutes. Since I was only wearing my bathing suit, I decided to sprint the 1/3 mile to the car and drive back to get the wife. The good news is that the hip was fine.

6. macdiver

I could get used to this life of leisure at the shore. Too bad I have to work to pay for it.

The rental market is flooded with new places this year so we only have one week and one weekend rented. Last year we had 8 weks rented. This is the first year we have been able to use it in the summer. Other than traffic it has been nice. Wednesday was really perfect. Thursday was great too but we had to leave the beach at 12:30 to meet Comcast. Even though we only have 2 renters, they expect to have tv and internet while they are here. We never watch TV here and use Xfinity wifi from the neighbors for internet. Too bad the appointment was on the nice day and not on the rainy day. Today is windy and cool.

Tonight we are going on a sunset Cruise with wine friends but with these clouds we won't be able to see the sunset. Oh well, there will be wine and appetizers.

dejavued likes this.
  7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

On the bright side, at least you get to enjoy the rental property when it is not being rented.

How is the hip?

8. macdiver

We actually picked up a last minute rental this week. More details below.

The hip is much better. I started running again today without any issues with the hip. Thanks for asking.

On Sunday around 2:30 we were sitting on the beach when the real estate agent called to see if we wanted a last minute renter right then. So we left the beach, packed up and did the final cleaning. We were out by 5:15, just a few hours earlier than planned. We were planning on leaving around 8.

While taking the trash out on Sunday, I stepped on something and felt a very sharp pain. I looked and didn't see anything. On the way home, I would feel a really sharp pain whenever I would move my foot from the gas to the brake. It is on the ball of my foot just below the big toe. Monday morning it was a little swollen locally and still sore to the touch. That is when I realized it is a bee or wasp sting. My plan was to start running this week since my hip is better. I debated not running due to the foot. I decided to try and see what happens. It was ok for the most part. Occasionally I would land on that spot and get reminded of it but I got my run done.

3 miles in 27:24 for a 9:07 pace . It was 91 degrees and 46 % humidity in Florida this afternoon. Needless to say I need a shower before dinner.

dejavued likes this.
  9. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Do you know what the cause of your hip issue was?

10. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

i need a shower after walking to my car......can't imagine after running three miles! :eek:

glad the hip is improving!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice to read that your hip is feeling better.

12. macdiver

It was either a muscle strain or tendinitis in the iliopsoas hip flexor.

Thanks Deja and Seltzer

After work I went to the hotel gym and worked out. I replaced the goblet squat with Bulgarian split squats to focus on the hip flexors more so the new routine is (all supersets with dumbbells)

Lunges & Bench
    Bulgarian split squats & rows
    Single leg deadlifts & ohp
    Curls & skull crushers

13. macdiver

No workouts yesterday or today. I had some DOMS in my quads and glutes so I chose not to run. I didn't want to risk re-aggravating my hip.

My plan was to lift this morning but my 4pm meeting yesterday with the big boss at the client got moved to 7:30 this morning. I decided not to wake up earlier to workout.

My plan is to do a trail run on Saturday morning and either run or lift on sSunda.

14. macdiver

I went to the park nearby and did a trail run. 3.5 miles in 33:57 for an avg pace of 9:47. My splits were Mile 1 - 10:44, Mile 2 - 9:49, Mile 3 - 8:37, Last 1/2 mile - 4:24 (pace 8:48).

The first half of the run were the "technical" sections consisting of single track and a few steep but short "hills". The second half was flat and easy hence the faster pace.

We are in NJ this weekend. I have a lot of chores to get done. Plus today is my friends annual Bastille Day Pool Party. We will be Ubering to it as we have learned that neither of us can behave at this party.

dejavued likes this.
  15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Enjoy the party.

16. macdiver

Thanks it was a fun day. I had to control myself though since I had to drive. When we were leaving to go to the party neither Uber or Lyft had a car near us so we had to drive.

This morning I woke up and went to a different park to run. This park has mountain bike and horse trails which is what I ran on. Some of the bike trails were so steep that I had to walk down or up. I'm sure as I gain confidence, I'll be able to run down them.

Stats were 3 miles in 30:29 for an average pace of 10:05.

dejavued likes this.
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I imagine that running on a horse trail presents its own set of challenges. :-)

18. macdiver

Especially if you run in sandals:D

Today is a rest / travel day. Somehow I don't consider carrying my suitcase with a weeks worth of business clothes and my messanger bag with laptop exercise. I should weigh them, together I think they weigh 35 to 40 pounds. :crazy:

19. macdiver

We are having thunderstorms this afternoon so I went to the hotel gym and ran in the treadmill. I was really hoping to get to the beach for a run. Maybe tomorrow or Thursday.

Stats per Garmin was 2 miles in 20:50. The treadmill was set at a 10 min pace.

UPDATE

Confession time

On Sunday we had my FIL over for dinner. We did a low country boil with shrimp, clams, sausage, potatoes, and corn. Since I decided to eat carbs, I partook in the appetizer of cheese steak perogies. Yesterday was our annual 401k meeting at work and lunch was provided. No low carb options available, so I had a sandwich and potato salad. At dinner I decided to have the baked potato with sour cream and butter since carbs were already eaten. Baked potato is probably one of my favorites and what I miss most. Today I was going to be good but at dinner the temptation of the key lime pie won out. My regret is that the pie was meh. Time to return to ketosis.

#3659 macdiver, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sounds good. Never heard of cheese steak perogies, but perogies are a favorite food of mine.