1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice photo's you posted.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Feel better soon.

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Thanks. I hope to.

Yesterday after work I did my hip and core work. My plan today is to do the hip and core work followed by the upper body strength exercises from my routine. I'm going to forgo the lower body stuff until next week to give the hip a rest. I'm hoping the hip work and the rest will speed my recovery. It isn't as sore today.

4. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

macdiver wrote:

"My opinion is it is a combination of technology isolating us, the division in America, and better acknowledgement. I'll elaborate each. I'm sitting in an airport bar like I've done since I started working at this company in 1992. Today everyone is on their phone "staying connected" on Facebook. Not that long ago we would be talking to each other. I'm guilty of the next one. Before the current administration, I rarely posted political stuff on FB. FB was for food, wine, and kittens.:D I now post political stuff and have lost friends due to it. Most days, FB makes me angry and depressed. I've stopped reading posts by friends from the other camp. I think there are people who react even stronger, building a sense of hopelessness. Im often afraid of venturing beyond "shop talk" with people I don't know because I don't want to alienate them over political or social beliefs. "​

I totally agree... I walk into my classroom with 70 students and absolutely no one is talking with anyone else -- everyone is on their phone or laptop -- mostly phone. I now ban laptops from the classroom but it is harder to regulate than the phone.

Your pictures are beautiful... Happy birthday to your wife :cool:

5. macdiver

Justitia Thanks. I'll pass the birthday wishes on when I see my wife this weekend.

After work I did core and hip stuff. I thought about walking to dinner but they were calling for thunderstorms. It didn't happen. Last time I walked to this restaurant there were no storms forecast yet it poured for an hour when I was ready to leave.

I found a 50 k in NJ at Washington Crossing Park I want to do in October but I'm reluctant to register with my hip acting up. It is limited to 100 people so I need to get better and sign up before it closes

#3625 macdiver, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  6. macdiver

Cognitive dissonance. When I am home my drinking is ok. When I travel I'm a heavy drinker. I travel more than I as home. I need to get it under control

dejavued likes this.
  7. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

bummer on the hip. hopefully a little more time off from running does the trick.

love the lighthouse pics!

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Why? :confused:

9. macdiver

Thanks. It was a fun tour.

There is a combination of reasons, availability, opportunity, and boredom / loneliness. At home we don't drink everyday and when we do we normally split a bottle, 2 glasses each, and then we are done. At restaurants and bars there is always another glass ready to be served. I got into a habit in California of going to the hotel bar to get out of the room. Most nights I would just play on the phone and just be out in public. I would try to speak to people and occasionally would enjoy a nice conversation with someone or even rarer a group. In Florida the hotels I've stayed at don't have a bar. They have something worse, managers happy hour. Two free drinks. So I have those drinks before heading to dinner then two or three at the restaurant. About once a week I've been going to the bar next door after dinner to listen to live music and to get out of that lonely room.

It is a cycle I need to break. Having 4 to 8 drinks a day is not healthy and is a very dangerous steep slope.

Yesterday I did my core and hip stuff then did my upper body strength training.

Today will be just the core and hip work. My wife wants to go for a bike ride but with the weather that probably won't happen.

#3629 macdiver, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I wake up at about 4:00 am, so by 9:00 pm, I am so tired I cannot even watch TV. Maybe when you are traveling on business, if you did the same, you would be too tired to drink. But this is coming from someone who doesn't drink. I take a prescription drug - methotrexate, and on this drug, alcohol is prohibited. Good luck.

11. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I've no doubt you'll find something positive to replace it with. :nod:

12. macdiver

Yesterday I did my core and hip work. The bike ride didn't happen but we did do a brisk walk on the boardwalk. Today will be spent sitting in the beach. I might do some stretching first but that's all for today.

13. macdiver

I had my annual doctor's appointment today. She thinks I'm doing the right stuff for hip but wants me to take a few more weeks of not running. If it isn't better in two weeks then she will get me an appointment with one of the sports doctors in the practice. I have an appointment for my blood work on Wednesday. It will be interesting to see if the keto diet has affected my cholesterol. Most people see better numbers in the keto diet but a small percentage see their ldl go way high like 500 or more. Hopefully I'm not one of those.

14. macdiver

As mentioned, I am still not running. I have been doing my hip and core exercises. I have also been using this week at home to get caught up on a lot of chores and other things. Today I had my blood work done and am now on my way to the dentist. This afernoon I will drop my car off at the mechanic to fix the check engine light. Oddly, that went off during the weekend and hasn't come back on yet. :confused: I wonder if it is a wiring and or a humidity issue and not the O2 sensor itself. I checked the code a few weeks ago and it was for an O2 sensor. This evening we will be going out for the 3rd and final "wife's birthday dinner".

I am waiting to register for the 50K until my hip is better. I have a few weeks before I really need to start training. Though really it is only 5 miles farther than the marathon I did a few months back.

#3634 macdiver, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  15. macdiver

Did my hip and core work. I used surgical tubing to add resistance. I also added single leg deadlifts with db's for the glutes and the split squat / lunge variation where the back leg is on the bench for the quads / legs.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How is hip feeling?

17. macdiver

The hip is getting better. It doesn't hurt walking the dogs the last couple of days like it did last weekend. I will continue with my exercises but may try a short run next week. Thanks for asking.

dejavued likes this.
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you're on the mend.

19. macdiver

I got the results of my bloodwork today. I haven't discussed the results with my doctor yet but I'm happy with them. Technically I am no longer pre-diabetic. As expected my HDL is up (good), Triglycerides way down (very good) but my LDL went up some too (not good) but not unexpected and the first two outweigh the increase in LDL. At least I wasn't one of the ones whose LDL goes up over 500. There is a genetic thing that some people have that keto skyrockets their LDL (23 and me can identify the genes).

I actually got tested on June 27 last year and this year. I knew it was the same timeframe but didn't realize it was the same day. First number below is last year second number is this year.

A1C. 5.7 / 5.1. Pre-diabetes is 5.6 and higher
    Fasted Blood Sugar 109 / 103. My FBS is high but goes down after breakfast. I think I have mentioned that here before A1C is more important
    HDL 67 / 83
    Triglycerides 135 / 54
    LDL 124 / 143
    Farmington Heart Risk 3.8 / 3.7
    Mayo Heart Risk 26% / 23%
    AVSD Heart Risk 2.8% / 2.5%. The AHA and NIH recommend stations if this is above 7.5%

The last two estimate my Heart attack risk. Both numbers were good last year and this year.

The Keto diet is working. On a heart health basis, being pre-diabetic or diabetic, low HDL and High Triglycerides are bigger risks than high LDL.
    Lets see if my doctor agrees or if she wants to put me on a statin.

#3639 macdiver, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    dejavued likes this.
  20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you're happy with the results of your tests.