1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I really admire your dedication to working out while away on business.

Enjoy your weekend!

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thanks. With as much as I travel I really don't have a choice.

Time to turn this depressing.

I was really shocked and deeply saddened to learn of Bourdaun's suicide today. He was one of the few famous people I considered a role model. Especially in the last few years, his focus was more on the people and the sense of place and less on the party. His show was the only tv series that I still watched.

I knew who Kate Spade was and was also surprised to learn of her suicide as well. We think that the rich have life easy. Depression doesn't check the bank account.

The CDC released a study this week about the exponentially growing suicide rate in the USA.

My opinion is it is a combination of technology isolating us, the division in America, and better acknowledgement. I'll elaborate each. I'm sitting in an airport bar like I've done since I started working at this company in 1992. Today everyone is on their phone "staying connected" on Facebook. Not that long ago we would be talking to each other. I'm guilty of the next one. Before the current administration, I rarely posted political stuff on FB. FB was for food, wine, and kittens.:D I now post political stuff and have lost friends due to it. Most days, FB makes me angry and depressed. I've stopped reading posts by friends from the other camp. I think there are people who react even stronger, building a sense of hopelessness. Im often afraid of venturing beyond "shop talk" with people I don't know because I don't want to alienate them over political or social beliefs.

For Acknowledgement, I think suicide is better reported for the famous and simply acknowledged by the rest of us. 10 years ago when my first nephew committed suicide I told everyone he died in a car crash. My second nephew I told everyone what happened. I see it frequently now, at work, wine friends, my wife's golf league. They all say what happened. They don't lie to save face which I think was common before. Now we need to figure out how to help them before it happens.

#3602 macdiver, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    dejavued likes this.
  3. macdiver

Bronze Member

I really screwed up this morning. We were walking the dogs at the marina in Lewes and there was a 5k race. As we passed the after party I heard them annouce they needed voluteers for a triathlon tomorrow. So I mention to my wife that I might volunteer . She doesn't say anything. I go and sign up. When I get back to her she reminds that tomorrow is her birthday. I totally forgot when I went to volunteer. She is not happy.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Can you say, "Dog house"?

I hope things smooth out quickly and you and your wife have an enjoyable time celebrating her b'day.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

We went for a bike ride after we got back from walking the dogs and the Lewes farmers market. We picked up more Angus beef from Reid's and heritage pork from Elysium. Both are local small producers.

The bike ride was 14.3 miles in 1:43:00. The numbers are a coincidence. We rode the Gordon pond trail to cape Henelopen and back. We got home just when the rain started.

I just snuck out in between storms to get my run in. I only did 1 mile today. I'll let the bike ride be my main exercise today.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

I got up early and went to the triathlon. I was at the transition point as they left and returned for the bike portion. My job was to make sure they didn't get on the bike before crossing the line and that they got off of the bike before the line. My voice is sore from yelling instructions (to the line & stop here). I also yelled something encouraging to them especially the lady in last place.

I was home by 9:30, before my wife had eaten breakfast. Had the dogs not woken her up barking she probably would have still been in bed. Still doesn't get me out of the dog house.

We went to the beach for a few hours. It was a foggy and a little chilly. While there, I went for a run on the boardwalk. I decided to do a tempo run. 3 miles in 25:35 for an average pace of 8:31.

We will be taking the dogs for their long walk then doing a short bike ride.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

About how many participants were there? Good weather for a trithalon, though the water was probably cold. Did they wear wet suits?

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Happy b'day wishes to Ms. Macdiver.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday I took a vacation day so that we could attend a wine dinner with one of my favorite wineries, Herman Story. The customer service guy was in leweL pouring their wines at what is nownot considered the best restaurant in Delaware. It was a great wine dinner. A friend from Pa came down for it. I also took this morning off. I'm now at the airport flying to Jax.

Though I didn't post yesterday I did run. I went out for an easy pace 3 miler. Stats were 3.33 miles in 32:54 for an average pace of 9:53.

I got home early enough today to take care of a few chores and squeeze in another 3 miler. Stats were 3.06 miles in 28:25 for an average pace of 9:17.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went to the hotel gym and worked out. I started with a 1 mile run.

Trying to decide what to have for dinner. SF had a lot more good, locally owned restaurants. Here it is all the chains. The selection is even worse close to this hotel. My previous hotel was a couple of minutes from the St John's town center shopping area which claimed to have 22 restaurants. I guess I could drive there as it is only 10 minutes away.

UPDATE:

I was below 7000 steps so I decided to walk to outback which is about 3/4 mile from the hotel. Of course now that I am done eating, we are having a thunderstorm with very heavy rain. I may need to have another glass of wine to let it pass.

#3610 macdiver, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  11. macdiver

Bronze Member

When I got back to the hotel a thunderstorm was starting. I decided to run on the treadmill. Of course by the time I finished the sun was out and itactually never rained just thunder and lightning. Oh well.

I ran 3 miles in around 28 minutes but forgot to stop my watch so it reads 31:57. I had the treadmill set to 9:30 pace. I have been running in my barefeet on the treadmill. This was the longest run but I didn't notice any heating of the belt.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today is a travel day so I went to the hotel gym this morning and did my 1 mile run and my strength training. I noticed a couple of "spots" on my feet this morning during the run. I think my toes are slipping on the belt as I lift my feet. I'll have to be aware of this next time I run on the treadmill.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

We finally have a beautiful day at the beach. I went for a 6 mile run this morning. I ran the 1 1/2 miles to the boardwalk, 3 miles on the boardwalk, then 1 1/2 miles home. My pace was too fast on the boardwalk which would have been ok except that it aggravated the hot spots on my left foot. Once I forced myself to slow down, I was able to make it home without making it worse.

Stats are 6.01 miles in 57:14 for an average pace of 9:32. 9:30 was my target pace but my splits were 9:45, 9:09, 8:51, 8:55, 9:48, & 10:43. I would have liked to have been more consistent.

Now I'll have to tape the hot spot so it can heal while I continue my run streak. I may have to consider forgoing the treadmill and doing all runs outside.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice run. Does your Garmin count steps? I am looking for someone to compare the amount of steps they take running a mile, to the amount that I take.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice run Mac!

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes it does. I don't often use it for tracking steps but I am currently using it. I was feeling tired about a week ago and started tracking my sleep which turns on the step counter as well.

My steps while running a mile is higher than my steps walking a mile. I typically have a cadence if 180 to 185 while running. That would equatebto about 1800 steps per mile. While walking I'm around 1100 to 1200 steps per mile.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

For some reason I divided my walking steps per mile by two. It should be 2200 to 2400 steps per mile. The running steps above are correct.

My wife and I did a 10 mile bike ride this morning. That was my main exercise for the day. However while riding we decided not to drive to the beach but to ride there. It has been a couple of years since we did that. I had to put the trailer hitch back on my bike and assemble the bike trailer. We then loaded up the chairs, umbrella, cooler and water jug and rode to the beach. We rode home too after a beautiful day in the sand.

While on the beach I did my 1 mile run. The sand didn't bother my foot so I will have to run on the beach in Florida this week.

Happy Father's Day to all the JSF dad's.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

IMG_20180616_134927.jpg IMG_20180616_134830.jpg IMG_20180616_134309.jpg IMG_20180616_132255.jpg IMG_20180616_135504.jpg

Yesterday we did a tour of the Harbor of Refuge lighthouse in Lewes. A few weeks ago we had done a sunset cruise and I took a photo of an Ospry returning to it's nest in the lighthouse. Here is a picture of the nest which has babies in it (not visible in the photo). This is the original lens which is no longer in use. Also a picture of the temporary light in the tower. The main light is out for repairs.

dejavued and Seltzer like this.
  19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today was a travel day. My left hip started to bother me yesterday sitting on the beach. It really wasn't happy with the plane ride.

Therefore I did my hip mobility and core stuff before heading down to the treadmill for my run. Just a short 1 miler to keep on streaking. Afterwards I did some planks. The hip felt good during the run.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

I woke up to a really angry hip. I've decided to end the very short run streak and give the hip some rest. I don't need this to become serious. It had been fine after the marathon and a few weeks of rest.

I will continue doing something every day. For now it will be strength training and hip / core work. I will take at least a week off of running and biking.