1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well done Mr. Mac. And due to your anecdote yesterday about sous vide, that's how I did my pork chops yesterday and they were a hit. Thanks for that.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I'm sure they came out juicy and tender.

Thanks

This morning I went to the hotel gym and did my 1 mile run and then lifted. I changed my routine slightly. The routine calls for 20 reps on most lifts. The idea is to add volume since the weights are lighter. Since the weights are adequate for me, I switched to an 8 to 10 rep with weights that I approach failure on the third set. If I reach the limit of the dumbbells I will then add the volume back for that lift.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mac, the chops did come out juicy and tender.

Are you flying home today?

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes, I flew home this afternoon and drove straight to Rehoboth. My wife and dogs will be coming later.

Monday, I will drive home to NJ and be there long enough to drop off the dogs before heading to the office for the day. I will be flying back to Florida in the evening. I will get my 1 mile run in once I get to the hotel. Hopefully that will be before midnight. If not I'll pretend I'm in a different time zone. :D

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Speaking of pork chops, the following article popped up on my Google feed this morning.

The 1 thing you should never do when cooking pork chops

I think that it has some good information especially regarding buying pork chops.

I buy pork from a local farmer at a Farmers market on Delaware. He recommended the following site for cooking his chops. I use their recipe for the brine and somewhat follow the method though I tend to grill them instead of using a pan.

How Not To Bust My Chops

Seltzer likes this.
  6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the articles.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for a run this morning. Today was the first time I used a hand held water bottle. It worked pretty well. Since it straps onto your hand, you don't grip it so it isn't tiring on your hand. I did notice that I was not swinging that arm as much as the other. I'll have to change that.

I ran on the Junction and breakwater trail. According to the weather, it was 73 degrees and 95% humidity which equates to a dew point of 72. All I know is that the shirt was off before mile 1 and by the time I was done my shorts were soaked.

Stats: 8 miles in 1:18:20 for an average pace of 9:47.

Merk likes this.
  8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Don't be the cause of a motor vehicle accident by distracting the women driving by. :lol:

Yesterday I was walking in Time Square, and they have topless women, who the tourists tip to take a photo with. Just paint covering up their breasts. They seemed pretty cool in this hot weather :)

macdiver likes this.
  9. macdiver

Bronze Member

:D

Today i was planning on running on the boardwalk but there is a 22 to 25 mph wind coming off the ocean so I drove to the bike path and parked where I could do my run in the trees.

4 miles in 38:17 for a 9:34 pace.

Today was 6 days running out of 6 days. I'm going to post the summary in the cardio challenge thread.

Merk likes this.
  10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice runs this weekend.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Test IMG_20180602_200611.jpg

Just making sure I gave good instructionsto Iroc Z.

The picture is the Harbor of Refuge lighthouse in Lewes De. We did a sunset Cruise out to it last Saturday

#3591 macdiver, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  12. macdiver

Bronze Member

I took the afternoon off to take care of some things at the NJ house. I finished early and thought about getting my run in. Then I realized that I would need to shower if I didn't want the plane to make an emergency landing. :barf:

Plane forced to make emergency landing after passenger’s smell made others vomit - The Malta Independent

I didn't have that much time do I will run at the hotel tonight.

Update: I went to the hotel gym around 9:30 and got my 1 mile run in. Stats are a little odd but Garmin says 1.00 miles in 9:29 for an average pace of 9:26. I guess I hit stop 3 seconds after hitting 1 mile.

#3592 macdiver, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  13. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for my run today. I went back to the beach but this time I parked near the beach access that I had ran to last week. It is farther from the pier but closer to the hotel. The first mile sucked. I actually considered turning around at the 1/2 mile point and doing the minimum 1 mile. I decided to keep going. By mile two I was feeling good. I was just short of the pier so I ran to it and touched a piling and turned around. For the record the pier was 2.15 miles from the start. My run back felt effortless. Mile 4 was an 8:30 pace. I was surprised. I thought I was around 9 minute pace.

Two things turned this run around. I saw a kid being chased by her puppy and was reminded of the article I posted last week that running is play. Before that though, in yoga they talk about being in the moment. There is no past or future, just now. At that moment I was running, it didn't matter how far I had gone (0.1 mile or so) or how much farther that I had to go, just run. No pace concerns, nothing, just run and breathe, find my rhythm.

Stats: 4.25 miles in 39:14 for an average pace of 9:14

TooMuch likes this.
  14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes, a lot of it is mental. I tend to think of running as torture, counting down the miles markers. When I was running this past weekend in Central Park, I tried to change this way of thinking to think how lucky I am to run in this park, to enjoy the experience.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A view of the same lighthouse from the Lewes-Cape May ferry

Running......I sort of took it for granted for many years, but after I broke my ankle and was told by my orthopedic surgeon that I would never be able to run again I've never taken a run for granted.

macdiver likes this.
  16. macdiver

Bronze Member

After work I went to Aldi and bought a mixed case of wine. My wife had read that they have good prices. Most of the bottles were $9. They had several brands that we like and some that were treated highly so we are going to give them a try. I brought an empty wine carrier with me to get them home. Since I get my check bags for free, it won't cost anything to get them home.

Afterwards I went to the hotel gym and wirwor out. 1 mile run in 9:29 with an average pace of 9:26. Same as the other night. I did the dumbbells after my run.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm trying to do the same when running on a treadmill. I need to just enjoy the time.

When I quote the message I see a link to the gallery, but the picture didn't load.

I didn't know about your ankle. When I joined here you were running marathons and I assume that was after you were told that you would never run again

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The picture loaded in your reply so maybe it was just a delayed response.

I broke my ankle before I started running marathons although I'd always been a jogger. The injury occurred in 2005.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

I still can't see the picture. I could see the link when I quoted your post. Can you see the picture?

I did the 4 mile beach run again. On Tuesday I had noticed the tide was not as far out as it was last week. Tonight it wasn't out at all. I had to run in the softer stuff and on a slope. While I felt good, it was a harder run. I chose not to add on the 1/4 mile to touch the pier.

4 miles in 38:46 for an average pace of 9:41.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went downstairs to the hotel gym and worked out this morning. My legs were a little tired from the run yesterday afternoon. I decided to slow down a little so I set the treadmill for a 10 min pace. I had been using a 9:20 setting. At the 9:20 setting my Garmin (indoor run mode) is a little behind the treadmill in both distance and pace. At the 10 min pace my watch was ahead of the treadmill in both distance and pace. For example at 9:20 the treadmill would say 1 mile and my watch would say 0.96 mile at 9:26 pace. Today the treadmill said 0.96 mile when my watch said 1 mile. I ran until the treadmill said 1 mile. I forgot to stop my watch until I was grabbing some dumbbells so total time is off.

From the watch 1st mile at a 9:15 pace. Total was 1.08 mile at 10:32 so there was over a minute added at the end.

The weight lifting went well this week so I will increase weights next week.