1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Sitting in a bar near the hotel cause the hotel doesn't have a bar and I'm a drinker.

4 ladies next to me. They are a pair of two who don't know the other two. Two are from Clifton and are friends. One of the other is from Morristown (north). Of course I am the lecherous male since I said I'm from Jersey too
    :bang:

The two from Clifton found out each other was here through Facebook just like me and my college room mate. One if them is here on business. It is the same bar. I didn't get to tell my story because ....

Sad thing is I'm just being friendly (lonely traveler) but I am not trying to hit on them. I have no desire to cheat on my wife.

#3561 macdiver, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    This is the point in the social interaction where I pull out my phone and become engrossed in surfing video game playthroughs. #AwkwardTactics, #ThankYouInternet :nod:

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

Pretty much what I did last night.

I went downstairs and did the hotel work out after work today.

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

As y'all know, I'm a member of the Barefoot Running Society. They have declared the first Sunday in May as the International Barefoot Running Day. In the beginning it was mostly the usa. Jaer ran a 5k with me several years back. Now it is mostly international with very few gatherings in the US.

Here is a video from Tel Aviv this year. They started at the airport.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was a 3 mile run. They had mowed the section of grass between the street and sidewalk and left all the debris on the sidewalk. If it had been just regular grass clippings I might not have noticed. I picked up a couple of "goat head" thorns in my feet. Not fun.

3 miles in 28:33 for a 9:29 pace

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Pro move. :nod: :tucool:

Seems like a good way to get goat head thorns in your feet. :nod:

:blank:

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Well Played. :D

This morning I did the hotel gym workout.

My diet has been on track for this week with the exception of a cheat Tuesday night when I got back to the hotel. :bang:

Broken record alert. I need to tighten this up. I go 3 to 5 days of of eating keto and just really enter ketosis when I cheat. Then the cycle starts over. I need a good 30 to 60 days with no cheats to reset my system. Afterwords an occasional carb won't spike my blood sugar the way it does now.

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :thanks:

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

I did a run on the beach today. Running in the sand is like running uphill the whole way. I started at my chair on the south side of Rehoboth and ran North to the watch towers in the state park. Total distance was 5.6 miles in 54 minutes.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Is the sand hot to run on? Enjoy the long weekend.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

I run down by the water so the sand isn't hot. It does get really hot away from the water. I have to put shoes on when I go up to the boardwalk so I don't burn my feet.

This morning I did a run to a trail about a mile from my house. The trail goes out to Thompson island which was a native American fishing camp and burial site dating from the bc era. The trail itself is only 3/4 mile long. The old map I saw showed that it had a loop at the end but that was closed off with a sign that warned of an environmental sensitive area. I really went to scope it out as an option to take the dogs for a walk.

Stats were 3.68 miles in 37:42.

Afterwards we met friends and rode our bikes down to the Indian River inlet and had lunch at the Big Chill then rode home. Pretty much a 20 mile bike ride.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today is a rest day. We took the dogs to the trail I ran yesterday. I saw that I misinterpreted the sign. The trail ends before it reaches the old Native American Fishing camp and burial grounds. The area is closed not due to being an environmental sensitive area but because it is a culturally sensitive area. While I understand, it would have been nice to be able to see the burial grounds that date back 2 to 3 thousand years ago.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

I posted this to Facebook and decided to post it here too. It is a copy paste so some of my post isn't relavant here but I am keeping it.

I urge all of my friends to read this article. It is not just for my fitness friends. These lessons transcend running.

I came across this article recently. The author set multiple records in 50 and 100 mile races. She won several outright. Not first female but first overall. In this article she shares lessons she learned from her coach of 17 years. Please no spoilers in the comments.

Ask Ann: Key Lessons

Seltzer likes this.
  14. macdiver

Bronze Member

My procrastinating has bitten me in the ass. I noticed that my car inspection was due in May. In NJ this is strictly an emissions test. The only thing that matters is there is no check engine light. I didn't get around to getting the inspection before going to Florida. I won't be in NJ until June 4. I figured no problem. Don't get caught speeding and I won't get an inspection ticket either. My check engine light came on yesterday. I checked the gas cap and it wasn't loose. Had I got the inspection before going to Florida, I would have time to deal with this later. :bang:

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday evening I saw a runners world run streak challenge to run every day between Memorial day and July 4th. While I didn't run yesterday so I officially can not enter, I am going to do it anyways starting today. The run must be a minimum of 1 mile to count. I'm going to stick to the plan I had of ramping up to 5 miles on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday with a 10 Miller on Saturday. I will lift on Wednesday and Friday. I will run 1 mile as a warm-up before lifting. Mondays will be an easy run day of 1 to 3 miles instead of yoga or rest. This should really help with my consistency. I know I just ran a marathon a month ago but my peak milage week was 24 miles and that was with a 16 mile long run. Maybe I could break the magical 4 hour mark if I ran the recommended 40 to 50 miles per week.

The hotel I had been staying at was either full or empty this week. Either way they wanted too much for the room so I found a hotel a little further away but it is near the beach. Same chain, Hampton inn and same price as I had been paying. My run was from the hotel to the beach which was 1 Mile exactly. There is a shorter way but I couldn't tell from maps if it had public beach access. So I ran to the beach, 2 miles on the beach then back to the hotel. When I got to the beach I noticed a thunderstorm moving in. I was about 1/4 mile from the hotel when the sky opened up. I was soaked quickly but it felt good. It was in the mid 80's and humid when I started. I just figured it was my after run shower and laundry all in one. :D

Stats 4.1 miles in 39:41 for an average pace of 9:37.

#3575 macdiver, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
  16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice run! I've walked that route from Henelopen Acres, but never sober. :nod:

Not what I expected when I saw streak challenge. :kickrock:

Reading that article you posted momentarily.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Running when it's in the mid 80's and humid is no joke; nicely done!

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I liked your link from a few days ago "Key Lessons". Was she saying her coach was her dog? :)

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes, she learned those from running with her dog. I'm sure she had human coaches too though.

I went to the hotel gym and did my workout. I started with a 1 mile treadmill run.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went to the beach after work and did a 4 mile run. I had decided not to wear my heart rate strap but wanted to wear my Garmin. I got to the beach and realized I left my watch at the hotel. Fortunately I had my phone with me so I used map my run. Good thing too. I forgot to notice which street I had parked at ( I drove to the beach this time). I turned around at the 2 mile mark and quit running at 4 miles and surprise surprise that was where I had parked. Purely by accident I had parked one mile from the pier which I ran under and past.

Stats are 4.03 miles in 37:24 for an average 9:17. My car said it was 89 degrees. I think the official temp was a few degrees lower. It's Florida, it's humid. I'll take this over my runs over the winter when it is below freezing. I guess that is from growing up in Louisiana.

Due to the heat, I was just a pair of running shorts away from being a real streaker. :D No shirt, no shoes, no problem.

#3580 macdiver, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018