1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

It's called the Ocean to Bay tour in Bethany. It has a 30 miler which is either 27 or 35 (rider option on course), a 50 mile, a metric century it a full century. It is not a timed event. My friend and I did the 27 and was done in 2 hours including our stops. He was on his recumbent bike which is geared for touring as oppose to my mountain bike with lower gearing. I was almost at top speed for my bike and he was cruising easily. He actually rode here and ride home for his personal 50 miler. He chose to do the short cut to get home before his wife woke up.

Once moving my legs felt great.

Yesterday's nutrition was red. My FBS was 117 which is tied to my overindulgence in carbs.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you had a good time cycling. Enjoy the rest of the day!

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm going to start with the standard stuff first.

Yesterday's nutrition was red. We went to a friend's house last night and they ordered in pizza. I had four slices. Once home I decided "in for a penny in for a pound" and had some M&Ms. My fasted blood sugar this morning at 6:50 am, post dog walk, pre coffee was 115. Afew hours later post coffee and 5 mile run it was 134. I'm definitely in sugar burning mode not fat burning mode.

My run was a 5 mile run in 48:38 first 9:44 pace. A nice easy run. It was a little chilly especially with the wind but I over dressed and head to remove layers. Instead of giving them to women u just tired the shirt seeing my waist. Sorry to disappoint you Jaer.

The rest of the post is a little personal and depressing feel free to stop here.

My MIL fell about a week or so ago. They took her to the hospital, and she didn't really hurt herself in the fall but had a lot of fluid in her lungs. They drained it but couldn't get her oxygen level stable. On our way to Rehoboth on Friday we stopped to see her. I stayed in the car with the dogs while my wife went in. They had my MIL heavily sedated. That night my wife and her father had to confirm the Do not resuscitate order. On Saturday a meeting with a social worker to discuss hospice options was scheduled for Monday. This morning we got a call that they were putting her in hospice today. We Quickly packed and headed to the hospital. Due to construction it took 30 minutes longer than normal. When we were 5 minutes away we got a call asking about last rites. I dropped my wife off and took the dogs home and went back. My wife was there for the last rites. Now is a waiting game. Because of her breathing problems and her health, her hospice is no food or water, no feeding tube or saline either so most likely she won't live for more than a day or two.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry to read about your MIL. Sad how quickly things change. Best wishes to your wife and her family.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm very sorry to read about your MIL.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks guys.

I got the text that my MIL had passed as I was leaving for yoga last night so no yoga. I spent today with my wife and FIL making the arrangements. Now is not the time to fret about not exercising.

I posted something similar on facebook but will add more detail here. My wife has requested that I not post the notice of my MIL passing on Facebook.

Yesterday was my nine year no smoking anniversary. I'm not going into the details of what happened yesterday but .....

If you are one of my friends who smokes, please quit now.

I tried many times before I was successful. Cold Turkey is what worked for me. The first 5 minutes, first hour, and first 3 days, first month etc are white knuckle brutal but then it gets better.

(The details are that my MIL passed from COPD from smoking on the anniversary of my quit day. She spent the last year on oxygen and until very recently {november or december and possibly later} would remove the oxygen tube and smoke a cigarette. She thought that since she didn't get lung cancer, smoking was ok. She had 2 or more strokes, a heart attack, and emphysema and continued to smoke. Those are the details of the ....)

Sorry to be a bummer. This is more for me though and how I deal with this.

Merk likes this.
  7. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

i think everyone in my family has quit smoking. We all smoked at one time.

8. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

sorry to read about your MIL. glad you were able to quit the cigs yourself.

Merk likes this.
  9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your MIL. My condolences to your family.

Congratulations on 9 years not smoking.

Merk likes this.
  10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My condolences to your family.

Merk likes this.
  11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm sorry, man. That is awful.

I have an uncle who was recently diagnosed with cancer in his lungs...but it turned out not to be lung cancer but rather melanoma that spread to his lungs. Even when they first gave him the "it's cancer" before knowing it was melanoma, he continued smoking but I guess felt a little guilty about it. Once it wasn't lung cancer caused by cigarettes, he doesn't seem to care. It's shocking sometimes how tightly people hold on to something like that--but I guess in some way it's also a comfort.

Jaer
    is glad you managed to quit and stay quitted. Stay strong!

Merk likes this.
  12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks everyone.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday I went for a 3 mile run in 27 minutes average pace of 9:00.

Yesterdays nutrition was yellow. I had bbq chicken for dinner. I don't know how much sauce or sugar I actually ate so yesterday could have been red. I listed yellow since I did not have any junk. I will be making a batch of sugar free bbq sauce for myself.

Yesterday FBS was 124. This mornings FBS was 120. My blood sugar is going in the wrong direction.

I will be starting the workout plan this week. Do to the events of last week, I had to put it off for a week. I will be getting stricter with my diet. I want to see how many days of green I can put together so I will be counting them.

Merk and dejavued like this.
  14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Sundays nutrition was green. We went to a Spanish restaurant for dinner. I think I avoided the carbs so I'm calling it green. Monday am FBS was 119.

Monday evening I did the yoga class. We did some leg balance stuff. I noticed it in my ankles. That is where I was wobbly.

Yesterday's nutrition was yellow. I has the left over BBQ chicken for lunch. This morning FBS was 114.

This morning I did a speed workout. I did a 1 mile warm-up then did four 160 yard sprints with a 260 yard recovery. The 160 yard is the distance between two street lights in front of my house. The 260 is going to the corner past the light pole, turning around and going to the corner past the first light pole then turning around and doing it over. I finished with a 1/2 mile cool down.

Merk likes this.
  15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What glucose level are you looking to be at?

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

From a website the definition of Diabetes based on fasted blood sugar:

According to the 2007 guidelines issued by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists:

Prediabetes: (or impaired fasting glucose): fasting blood sugar 100–125 mg/dl (5.56–6.94 mmol/l)

Prediabetes: (or impaired glucose tolerance): blood sugar 140–199 mg/dl (7.78–11.06 mmol/l) two hours after ingesting 75 grams of glucose

Diabetes: fasting blood sugar 126 mg/dl (7 mmol/l) or greater

Diabetes: blood sugar 200 mg/dl (11.11 mmol/l) or greater two hours after ingesting 75 grams of glucose

Diabetes: random (“casual”) blood sugar 200 mg/dl (11.11 mmol/l) or greater, plus symptoms of diabetes

As you can see, my fasted blood sugar levels puts me firmly in the pre-diabetes range. Last fall I did some "home" testing and my high glucose ingested test was also consistent with Pre-diabetes. My goal is to consistently be below 100 for FBS. When I eat a strict Keto for 3 - 5 days I will see my blood sugars return to normal. Supposedly, If I can go 90 or more days strict, then the occasional cheat won't set me back as far as it does now.

Yesterday nutrition was green. FBS was 114.

I need to knock out some dishes from yesterday then will be heading to the basement to workout. I'm going to try a completely different strength program for runners that I found online. It is mostly a core routine and plyometrics.

Update: walk through of workout done. I only did one set of each and I was breathing hard and sweating. The routine calls for 6 sets of each single exercise or 5 minutes for each of the supersets. It will take me time to reach that level.

#3536 macdiver, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Merk likes this.
  17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    [QUOTE="macdiver, post: 929751, member: 33840"
    I need to knock out some dishes from yesterday then will be heading to the basement to workout. I'm going to try a completely different strength program for runners that I found online. It is mostly a core routine and plyometrics.

Update: walk through of workout done. I only did one set of each and I was breathing hard and sweating. The routine calls for 6 sets of each single exercise or 5 minutes for each of the supersets. It will take me time to reach that level.[/QUOTE]

This the Pop Sugar routine?

Jaer
    is curious if it helps your running.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

I need to change my morning routine. I woke up at 5:30 yet by the time I took care of the dogs, did dishes, and got ready for my run it was after 7. I had to be at the office around 8 so I only had time for a short run. I'm thinking that the dishes need to be done after dinner and the dishes my wife generates after dinner ( making popcorn, cookies, brownies etc) can be done by her. I rarely ate this stuff before going keto and definitely don't eat it now.

Today's run was 2 miles in 20 minutes. My plan was to run 5 miles.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

No. It is the iron strength routine from runners world. They have a DVD for this for sale but I found the original article online. I'm sure the DVD has more info since it is a 2 DVD set and a book.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'll start with the easy part first. Iron Strength workout done this morning (friday). I won't say completed because I reduced the number of sets prescribed and will work up to being able to do the workout as prescribed.

I didn't post my blood sugar numbers yesterday for a reason. Shamie's question got me to doing a little more research. I learned that it is not uncommon for someone on the Keto diet to have a higher fasted blood sugar. The recommendation is to test fasted, eat a NO carb breakfast then test just before lunch (after 3 hours minimum). If the pre-lunch test is in the normal range then you are good and shouldn't worry about an FBS in the 100 to 115 range. I will be doing this for the next few days.

Wed nutrition was green. Thursday FBS was 103. I took my meter to work but missed the pre-lunch test so I tested at 4 pm after a possible high carb lunch (see below). 4 pm test was 92.

Yesterday was either yellow or red. I'm not sure. We had our spring symposium so I had to eat lunch at the office with some clients. I tried to make smart selections but the salad was pre-dressed and had a sweet tasting dressing. The salad also had apples and cranberries. I just ate them so the clients wouldn't notice me leaving them on my plate. I had the stuffed chicken for the entrée. It was stuffed with mozzarella cheese but was breaded. It was the better choice than the two pasta dishes. I also had the green beans which was the only low carb dish. I avoided the desserts and avoided (though tempted) the candy dishes on the tables during the symposium. After eating the above unknown carbs, I was pleasantly surprised by the reading of 92, 3 hours later.

This morning FBS was 116. I just had breakfast and will test before lunch. I'll update the result here. update to add prelunch reading of 83.

Over the weekend we had 30 cubic yards of wood chips dropped off to use as mulch. It doesn't look as nice as the died red, black or brown mulch but it was free. My township did not pickup the branches that everyone lost in the march storms. We heard a large chipper shredder down the street and went to see if they would do the branches I had cut up. Since they were cut up he was willing to do it when finished at the neighbors. We asked if we could get the chips for mulch. Since he has to pay to get rid of them he was more than willing to give them to us for free. I spread some on Sunday and will continue to spread mulch pretty much everyday I'm home for an hour or so. This is my "Two a Day" workout routine. :D:D.

Yesterday while spreading mulch my neighbors daughter, 14ish years old (Her mom is my wife's boss) rides by on her bike and says something about spreading mulch and yuk. I laugh and reply something about exercise. While I'm taking trash out, my neighbor across the street asks about my branches that are now gone. As I'm telling him about the tree service and the mulch, my neighbors daughter comes back on her skateboard and hands me a glass of wine. :madpimp: Seriously, no lie. She says special delivery and starts to leave. I thank her and start laughing especially seeing the look on my other neighbors face. He literally just shook his head turned and walked away as I thanked her and told her to thank her mom and dad.

#3540 macdiver, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    dejavued likes this.