1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Have a great marathon. 4:15 sounds like a fast time in my book (especially for someone barefoot).:)

2. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

ditto...hope the marathon is great for you!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sending good cyber vibes for a great marathon!

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thanks. To be clear 4:15 is if I don't do anything else but run and if I have no issues. I'm pretty sure Im doing the yoga thing.

Thanks

Thanks.

Yesterday's nutrition was green. No exercise today. I spent the day doing yard work before heading to Rehoboth.

I'm thinking a short run in the morning. Then my wife wants to do the bike loop. A nice easy day plus on more trip around the marathon course.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday's nutrition was green. FBS was 108.

This morning was a 3 mile run in 29 minutes. Basically the pace I plan in running tomorrow. It felt like a nice easy pace that I could do for all day. I'll know tomorrow.

Afterwards my wife and I did the 16 mile bike loop. The whole way there were the mile markers for tomorrow. We went the opposite direction today. It will be interesting to run on a course I know so well.

Tonight is my wine group meeting. I'll have to take it easy on the drinking and get to bed at a reasonable time.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Looks like you had good weather for the marathon.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes the weather was perfect for a marathon. Sunny, not too warm and a gentle cool breeze.

RACE REPORT: Cliffnotes - 26.2 miles in an even 4 hours 30 minutes. (i think the time had like 3 seconds).

I'm going to go back a few weeks. I had headed out for an 18 mile run but my left hip started hurting so I turned around and ran home. I walked a lot of the last mile home that day. After that my left hip would hurt while running but not as bad. I didn't mention it here because I was lying to myself saying it was nothing to keep me pushing for this race. I think I did mention tight hips once or twice. It had only bothered me running until this past Monday. I use a standing desk at work and by the end of the day on monday I was in pain. I sat the rest of the week. I was really concerned that I would not be able to finish the marathon today. On yesterday's run the hip felt fine.

We had our wine thing last night and at the end I poured myself a glass and talked to some friends. I poured a second glass and my wife reminded me I needed to run today. The one couple (who had put this tasting together) asked about it and I mentioned that I would be running in a marathon and we would pass their house at mile 20. I went to bed around 11:30 last night.

I woke up at 5 am and cooked me an egg and cheese omlette. I had realized that all of my long runs were post breakfast so I followed that routine. After eating and having my coffee I dressed and rode my bike to the start line for the 7:00 am start.

I hooked up with the 4:15 pace group. By mile 2 I realized I was the only one listening to music so I turned it off and joined in on the conversation. It was a nice easy pace and I was able to speak easily. At mile 5 I decided not to do yoga but to stay with this group as I was enjoying the company. There was a first timer, a guy who was running a marathon in his 33rd state today, and the others had run several marathons. The pacer had run Boston in the rain this past monday.

I had taken off my long sleeve shirt and tied it around my waist around mile 8. I had a barefoot runners shirt on underneath. Around mile 14 the pacer reads my shirt and asks "do you run barefoot?" I said normally but I'm wearing these due to the gravel. She looks down and says" Wow, I'm surprised I hadn't noticed you are running in sandals. I had noticed his (the 33rd state guy) vibrams." We laughed.

I stayed with the group until mile 19 when I started slipping back. Then the hip pain started and I started walking a little, run a little, etc. I was running around mile 19.75 when my wine friend was there with her Dad to cheer me on. It really helped to lift my spirits. I took off my long pants and gave them to her. She will return them next month.

At mile 20, I stopped and did a sun salutation. I included high lunges and hip circles as well as several chaturanga vinyasa's. It really helped my hip and I was able to return to a 9:30 ish pace. Around mile 21 I was slowing down so I stopped at mile 21 and did more yoga. This continued at each mile marker until the finish line. After finishing I did two rounds.

As I said official time was 4:30 and a few seconds. My garmin said 4:20. It would autopause when I stopped moving to remove my pants and to do yoga.

The after party was at Grotto Pizza. I did have my 3 beers and some pizza. If I can't eat carbs after a marathon, when can I. At the after party, I lost my ear buds. I asked the people who were near me and someone found them and turned them in to an employee. I tried to speak to a manager or something but they were all crazy busy. I just called and they have them. I'll be leaving to go get them in a few minutes.

Getting on the bike to ride home was not easy. It took me 3 tries. I'm laughing and realize that one of the Thrasher fries employees is watching me and laughing as well. Since they were at the finish line I'm sure he realized I had just run a race. Getting off the bike was equally as challanging. Once home I realized my house key is in the pants I removed. I'm glad I didn't just toss them like I had considered.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the recap and congratulations on a great accomplishment!

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Congratulations on completing another marathon. Impressed you rode a bike to the start, and rode the bike home. How far was the bike ride?

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

Thanks. Ten bike ride was 1 1/2 miles home. Once I was on the bike I was fine

My calfs are a little sore today. I soaked in the hot tub this morning. I also went to yoga tonight. Both seemed to help.

11. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

sounds like a great marathon! loved the stories!

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

Yesterday's nutrition was red. I had ice cream for dessert.

This morning I did hip mobility stuff and stretching particularly the calfs.

#3512 macdiver, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday's nutrition was yellow. The mixed vegetables for dinner had corn. This morning my FBS was 113.

Today was more hip mobility and stretching for recovery. I have a massage scheduled for tonight. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get out for a short easy run. I'll see how I feel. My calves and thighs are more sore than I remember from the previous marathons. Maybe it is just the faded memory of time.

dejavued likes this.
  14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday's nutrition was green. No FBS reading this morning.

I had a massage last night. It felt really good. When she was working on my left hip, something "shifted and popped". She was like "I have no idea what that was.". I'm thinking, "Wow, that feels so much better now.". I'm sure it was related to my hip pain as it was right where I was feeling the pain while running.

This morning I did hip mobility and prep drill. Afterword, I did a dry run of the weight routine I will be doing next. I used an empty bar or 5 # dumbbells for the dry run and did 1 set of 8. The routine will be a 3 x 8. It will be Squats, Bench, Bulgarian split squat (DB), BB row, Single leg dead lifts (DB), Lat pulldowns (cable), Calf raises, & OHP. I will do this on Wed & Friday. On Sunday I will do a similar workout using the Macstraps. On Tue, Thu, and Saturday, I will run. Mondays will be yoga. Since I am considering Monday as my active rest day, this routine officially starts next Tuesday. We are heading to RB tonight. I am planning on a 5 mile easy pace run tomorrow. Saturday is the official 30 mile bike ride with my wife and friends. Sunday I will do a dry run of the straps workout.

dejavued likes this.
  15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You had a quick recovery from running a marathon this past Sunday.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

I wasn't too sore after the marathon. It was mostly my left hip / thigh and both calves. I don't worry about the calves since that is normal for a fore foot landing style of running and going farther than my training runs. I think moving really helps to recover.

Change of plans. We were supposed to go to Rehoboth last night after dinner. When I went to put the dogs upstairs so I could load the car without them escaping, the one dog whimpered when she stood up and stopped at the stairs and said "no". When I touched her back hip area she whimpered and laid down. We called the vet last night and spoke to her. I will be calling her in a few minutes so we can take her in. It seems to be her right hip. She doesn't limp while walking but whimpers when she stands or if you touch it.

We may be skipping the bike ride and staying in NJ this weekend. We'll make the decision based on the vet visit.

Since it is raining today, I will do my strap workout today and do my planned run on Sunday. I may rearrange things again if we don't head down to the beach for the bike ride.

Yesterday's nutrition was yellow (44 net grams of carbs). I had a single crab cake for dinner (about 5 oz serving) from Capt'n Chuck's. It was really good but has 20 grams of carbs. Today FBS was 106.

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Are we really not talking about how he STOPPED in a middle of running a race and GAVE HIS PANTS to woman in the crowd like A ROCKSTAR?!?!

And then said pants had his house key in them!?!?

BALLER!!!

Jaer
    has decided that for his marathon run, he's just going to take off an article of clothing every few miles and wing it into the crowd. When he crosses the finish line, off go the shorts to reveal the smallest man g-string he can find. Then right to the after party!

REMINDER: Jaer has no plan/goal/desire to actually run a marathon, so we're all safe from him actually doing that.

dejavued likes this.
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry Mac for the thread diversion. Jaer, just in case I would be at the marathon you're not going to run, thank you for not dressing down to the smallest G-string you can find. :-)

On a more serious note, Mac I hope all is well with your dog.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Jaer, you krack me up.

I second this motion.

Thanks

Fortunately it is just a pulled muscle or something in her back. The vet gave her some pain meds and told us to call if she is not better in a few days.

We are in Rehoboth now and will be heading out shortly to get our bibs and stuff for tomorrow.

#3519 macdiver, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice to read about your dog. I didn't realize the bicycle ride was an organized thing; have a good time.