1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks for the info.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I didn't run on Thursday because I was in the directors office trying to explain why he needs us. Afterwards, I just couldn't run. I went to dinner and as I was leaving I heard a guitarist playing in the bar. So I had a few drinks and chilled. Friday was a travel day . Today was raining so I missed out.

We are meeting friends for a 16 mile +/- bike ride at 11. My plan is to wake up and run 10 miles first. It is 12:30 so ........

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

I didn't mention the reason I was up so late is we had friends over for dinner. It was the same friends I met for the bike ride. I woke up at 6:30, took care of the pups and cleaned the kitchen. I was running a few minutes late so I cut my run down to 7.5 miles. I was going to run 7 miles but I was real close to a natural turn around point that I just went to it. I got home and put on dry clothes and left to meet up for the bike ride. We did 16 miles with a stop at the ferry terminal for lunch.

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you fuel with anything before or after a run? Protein shake or BCAAs? Or do you find your normal eating routine has you covered, and you don't need to take any additional considerations around running? Other than bringing water.

Jaer
    usually has BCAAs before and/or after a run, if he's running fasted. He usually doesn't do breakfast or anything before a morning run.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Most of my runs are fasted with the exception of black coffee. However, due reasons I don't recall several of my long training runs were pushed back to late morning or even the afternoon. I did eat before those runs but made sure I ate two hours or more ahead of time so it would not bother my stomach.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I should eat an omelette a few hours before the marathon just in case that was helping my long runs without fuel.

Tonight was a yoga class. Tomorrow I will run.

I'm going to start listing my carb intake by listing it as green for very low carb. If I were to track my food, green would be around 20 grams net carbs meaning they were from mostly high fiber vegetables. Yellow will be for low carb. Probably around 50 net or less. This means I probably had some vegetables that are higher carb like carrots. A small portion of dark chocolate could put me in this range. Red probably doesn't need to be defined (not that I won't have a red day but it is anything not green or yellow).

Yesterday's nutrition was green.

I'm not testing my blood sugar daily but when I test I will post it here. The trend I'm noticing is that it takes 3 to 5 days of green for my fasted blood sugar to drop below 100 when I have cheated. Of course it depends how bad I cheated and for how many meals.

Merk likes this.
  6. macdiver

Bronze Member

It was 36 degrees and raining this mirmorn. I willing to run in either but not both. Instead I went to the basement and did my dumbbell workout. I started with the prep drill and hip mobility stuff to warm up.

Yesterday's nutrition was red. I knew it would be red when I posted my color scheme last night. After having some candy, I decided I needed a way to hold myself accountable.

This morning fasted blood sugar was 117.

Merk likes this.
  7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Quite the active Sunday. :tucool:

36 and raining is not a fun environment to run it. Nope.:no:

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

It was 36 degrees and raining this mirmorn. I willing to run in either but not both.

Hope that is not the weather on marathon day. :)

It would be pretty unusual for it to be 36 at the end of April in Delaware. But on the other hand, you don't want it too hot either.

Merk likes this.
  9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

My current joke us that I signed up for an April marathon to force me to run in the winter. Little did I know that it would still be winter on April 21. :burr:

Speaking of which, it was 27 degrees this morning. I had to wear socks with my sandals for my run. 3.12 miles in 29:42.

Yesterday's nutrition was green. This morning blood sugar was 103.

Merk likes this.
  10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, but in the 80s this weekend, right? Cause who needs a transition between winter and summer?

Jaer
    hates how much this weather is all over the place.

macdiver likes this.
  11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Spring is scheduled for today between 10:42 and 10:43 am. Don't forget to look out your window. :dunce:

Yesterday's nutrition was yellow. My wife made green giant cirn in butter sauce as the vegetable for dinner. She is not quite on board with my keto diet. For marital harmony I ate my portion knowing that it would put me in the yellow. At least she isn't making potatoes for me any longer.

Fasted blood sugar was 98.

I decided to start back weight training and not just running, so I did my prep drill and hip exercises as my warmup and then did my dumbbell workout.

dejavued likes this.
  12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterdays nutrition was yellow. I had a zitners dark chocolate butter krak egg. 1 egg was 19 grams of carbs, mostly sugar. Other than that I would have been on target. FBS was 102 this morning.

My plan was to run this morning but.... I went to bed last last night, after 11. I woke up at 6:45 and had my coffee and do my chores, dishes trash etc. I change to go for my run when my wife reminded me that I had to drive her to work. She went in early so I could pick her up at 3 and we could get an early start towards the shore. Once home I had to finish fixing my mower and mow my grass.

It was a productive week at home. I haven't used my mower in 4 years. Last week it would not start. On Monday I took the carb apart and cleaned it. On Tuesday I confirmed the problem was the fuel solenoid so I ordered a new one. My chainsaw died last fall. About a month ago I figured out the fuel line had disintegrated. I had ordered new tubing so on Tuesday I replaced the fuel lines. On Wednesday and Thursday I cut up all the branches I lost in March. The new fuel solenoid arrived on Thursday so I replaced it and the mower started up. I noticed that mice had built nests under the engine cover. I had this happen to my previous mower which caused the engine to overheat and fail catastrophically. So this morning I removed all of the shrouds and heat shields and cleaned the engine. This took longer than the carburetor job about 4 hours. Yesterday I also got my pond pump stated up for the season and fixed my sump pump drain line.

We are now at the shore enjoying a glass of wine in the screen room.

#3492 macdiver, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday's nutrition was green. We had 5Guys for dinner so I removed the bun and ate my cheeseburger "all the way' using a fork and knife. I managed to control myself and not eat any fries and I love their fries.

Today was an easy 6 mile run. 6 miles in 54:55 for a 9:09 pace. Actual splits were

Mile 1 9:36
    Mile 2 9:07
    Mile 3 8:47
    Mile 4 8:41
    Mile 5 9:06
    Mile 6 9:36

I did try to run the first and last mile slower but did not try to run this as symmetrically as it turned out. I found it interesting so I wanted to share.

My wife and I will be heading out for a bike ride. Trying to get in 20 miles today. We have the 30 mile ride in two weeks and she is concerned she is not ready. I'm fine. If I can run 26 miles next week biking 30 at an easy pace the following week will be no problem.

#3493 macdiver, Apr 14, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    dejavued likes this.
  14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Do you have fish in the pond?

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes. We have mostly goldfish and one koi left.

Saturday, after my run, we went for a 20 mile bike ride. We rode 10 miles into the wind then turned around and let it push us home. The wind was so strong I had to peddle down hill coming off of the big bridge and was almost able to coast up the bridge on the way home.

Saturday nutrition was yellow. We went to dinner with friends to celebrate her birthday. Her husband made a cake so I had a small piece.

Sunday no exercise. Sunday nutrition was red. We decided to leave Rehoboth before the storm got worse. We left at dinner time and stopped at 7:30 for Arby's. Unlike Friday when I did not eat the bun, I ate the bun and the fries. The sad thing is Arby's fries are not nearly as good as 5guys.

Tonight was yoga. My left hip was really tight but tonight class really helped.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yesterday's nutrition was yellow. I had a Zitner's dark chocolate butter krak egg.

I'm taking it easy this week since the marathon is on Sunday. I will run 3 miles at a 9:30 to 10 minute pace on wed and Friday. Other than that my plan is light stretching and hip mobility stuff. Maybe even some foam rolling. In accordance with plan, I did prep drill and hip mobility this morning. I also did some of the PT exercises I have been given for my knees over the years.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Big winds indeed!

Sounds like you're well prepared for your marathon. :tucool:

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

I would have liked to have completed a few more long runs but in all honesty I probably trained more for this marathon then the 2012 marathon so I should be good.

Yesterday's nutrition was green.

Today was a 3 mile run in 29:37 for a 9:41 pace. It felt like a nice easy pace that I should be able to do for Sunday's little foot tour.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What kind of time are you anticipating? Also, are you going to do pushups at each mile marker? :bow:

Seltzer likes this.
  20. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm expecting to run around a 9:45 pace which would put me at 4:15. I'm not doing pushups but I am thinking of doing Sun Salutations at the 5, 10, 13.1, 15, 20, 25 and 26.2 markers but have not fully committed to it.

Yesterdays nutrition was red. I did good and even passes on the corn at dinner and made my own vegetable. After dinner I had the last zither egg which would have been fine (yellow) had I stopped there. :o

I took measurements this morning

Weight 123.6 pounds
    Body Fat
    Supracilliac method 8.9 %
    3 pt 8.3%
    Tape measure 12.1%

The tape measure is the accurate one. You can not see my abs so I am not below 10%.