1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Today was an optional rest day. My choice was rest or strength training. I spent this morning learning how to tie a bow tie. It took longer than I expected so by default I chose rest . I'm now boarding my plane to Florida. I will run the rest of this week.

This weekend is my Dionysian gathering in Ocean City NJ. Hence the bow tie for Saturday's dinner. The tie that came with the tux I bought last year is a little cheesy so I bought a real tie for this year.

#3441 macdiver, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went to the hotel fitness room and used the treadmill. I did a HIIT routine. 5 min warmup, 5 cycles of HIIT, 5 min cool down.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went to the fitness center and ran on the treadmill for 20 minutes. Today was just a steady pace run.

My running form must be different on the treadmill. Both days I had trouble keeping the ear buds in. I thought it was the HIIT portion causing the issue yesterday but had the same thing happen today. Running on the street doesn't cause an issue.

#3443 macdiver, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good observation, that never would have occurred to me.

Usually when someone writes about being on a treadmill, they write something negative, that wasn't the case here. Do you like or dislike running on it?

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You can't possibly referring to someone like me, right? :lol:

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

I prefer to run outside. I tend to get bored running on a treadmill. I guess if I ran on a treadmill more I would get used to it. In theory, running the same 3 miles outside every time is probably no more boring than 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Speaking of which, I will be running this morning. Afterwards we are headed to Ocean City NJ for my Dionysian Gathering. I'm going to try and squeeze in a run every day but I will not be doing a long run this weekend.

Update

3 miles in 2827 for an average pace of 9:28.

#3446 macdiver, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I did not get out for a run over the weekend. I did get a walk in and did some hip mobility stuff. I also took the stairs between the 2 and 7 floors frequently.

#3447 macdiver, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  8. macdiver

Bronze Member

I was planning on running this morning but over slept. I think I was still getting caught up from the weekend of late nights.

Since I haven't been running I thought I would post some pics.

IMG_20180315_181537_765.jpg

My view for the weekend.

IMG_20180316_115108_675.jpg

Rose tasting Fri morning

IMG_20180316_122950.jpg

Burgundy tasting Friday morning

IMG_20180317_094708.jpg

First round of Italian wines Saturday morning. Total was 9 wines.

IMG_20180317_190832.jpg

Champagne for the Saturday gala

IMG_20180317_192331.jpg

Table for 120 please. Saturday Gala

IMG_20180317_192818.jpg

Place setting for a 7 course meal. Notice the 6 forks and 1 spoon. There were 2 wines not on the table. The sparkling intermission and the desert wine.

IMG_20180317_185322.jpg

Mr and Mrs Macdiver at the Champagne reception.

I didn't get pictures of the midnight Port party. I should have taken a picture of the 1944 port. It was absolutely wonderful. The 1977 were great too. I also had a 1964 bordeaux at the Gala that was drinking very well. It still tasted young.

Sorry I didn't get pictures of the two tastings on Thursday afternoon. They were a champagne tasting and a alborino (Portugal wine) tasting.

Friday evening dinner was the mystery meal. Great fun.

Merk likes this.
  9. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No doubt a fine weekend!

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks guys.

Today's exercise was shoveling snow. I left work at 3 when it started snowing heavily and got home around 3:30. It took about an hour to clear the deck and driveway. There may have been 2 inches on top of yesterday's coating of snow, sleet, and ice. I was done around quarter to 5. When I went out to grill some steaks at 6:30 there was about 3 inches + on my deck. At that rate we will get the 12 inches they are calling for.

One of my wine friends mentioned this race to me. He lives near the finish and offered me a place to stay. It is on my birthday.

Home

50 miles on the Appalachian trail would be touch. The idiot who grills steaks in a blizzard is cinsiconsid it.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Woke up today and had about 8 or 9 inches of snow in the driveway to clear. The official total for yesterday was right at 12 inches for the closest town that the NWS lists snow totals for. I think that was about right. I should've made it easy on myself and shovelled it a second time last night when it was about 4 inches deep.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice photo's you posted. Good looking couple. I feel like a peasant, I know nothing about wine. If someone gave me a $100 bottle of wine, or a $10 bottle, I couldn't tell the difference.

Was the weekend in NJ or Maryland?

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

The weekend was in Ocean City, NJ which is a dry including no BYOB town. This hotel has a special licenses to allow BYOB for events only. Kind of strange how that works. I think it was grandfathered in.

There have been several "blind" tastings comparing $10 to $20 with $100 bottles. Often the wine critics and industry can't tell the difference either. When these tasting have been done using "regular" people the cheaper wine is usually preferred. Keep in mind no one knows the prices or which wine is which. The bottles for Dom for this was "donated" as a marketing expense. My group didn't pay for them. I liked it but have had better sparkling wines that cost significantly less.

On to fitness, I have to go in to the office this morning to make up a few hours from Wednesday. Afterword, I plan on getting a run in.

I ordered a replacement for my running moccasins that fell apart. I went with the traditional running sandal from xero shoes. I'll have to figure out how to use socks with a toe post. These will be perfect for the gravel sections of the marathon. I'll have to get some miles in them before the marathon. Soon I will be back to barefoot. This winter can't go on forever, can it?

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There's no doubt that NJ has some odd liquor laws regarding restaurants. My town, known as a regional foodie destination, has very few licenses so almost every establishment is BYOB. Honestly, I like it since I don't have to pay big mark ups for a bottle of wine with dinner. About a month ago a license was sold for 1.2 million dollars. :ohnoes:

Have a great run today.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Instead of running this morning we went to the Rehoboth March for our Lives march. One of the US Senators for Delaware was there. By his being there I guess he didn't needed to get the message that something needs to be done. There were several students who spoke. I can't imagine speaking in front if a thousand plus people at 12 to 17, the age range of these kids. As much as people disparage the youth today, they are making change happen.

Tomorrow I will get out for a run. Not sure how long since I haven't run for a week or so but it will happen.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for a run this morning. I chose a route that gave me a few options for distance based on how I was feeling. I ended up running 6.5 miles in 1:05 for a 10 min pace. After taking a week+ off, that was all I had in me. It was 37 degrees F with an 11 mph steady wind gusting up towards 20 mph. Not ideal for me.

Merk likes this.
  18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Can you believe you are running in a marathon in about a month. :scared:

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

:ohnoes:

I know I will be fine but I feel under prepared.

I went to yoga tonight. We did a lot of hip flexor strengthening exercises. It was what I needed.

My new running shoes came today. By shoes I mean sandals. Hope it will be warm enough for me to use them this week. I need to get used to them before the marathon. There is no way I would be ready to run the 14 miles or so of gravel barefoot.

Genesis_RoyalBlue-3-4-770x500.jpg

dejavued likes this.
  20. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went out for a 3 mile run this morning. I tried the new sandals. It was 27 degrees out so I put on a pair if wool hiking socks . I was sure how that would work so I stayed in my development for the first 2 miles. It felt ok and I don't think I was getting a blister which was my concern. For the last mile I went out on the severly cracked and busted up road. While I could feel the road it wasn't as noticable as in my barefeet.

3 miles in 26:44 for an 8:53 pace. Avg heart rate 158.