1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the detailed description of your cook.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Day 13

Slightly different format today.

Diet yesterday was probably low carb. I had a couple of handfuls of peanuts before bed. Depending on how many I actually ate I think it would put me around 30 grams or less.

I went for an 8 mile run this morning. Time was 1:18 for an average pace of 9:42. This was a fasted run.

I wanted to test my blood sugar both before and after my run. I forgot to test before my run. Afterwords my blood sugar was 91. Regarding format, this is why I put the blood sugar info after the run information.

Today I am making judione bean stew. Judiones are these huge white beans that I brought back from Spain. This is for tonight's wine club tasting. One of the couples who were in Spain with us is hosting and are doing Spanish wines. I bought the beans just for this tasting.

#3362 macdiver, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. macdiver

Bronze Member

The bean stew came out great. Here are a few pictures that show the size of the beans and the stew.

IMG_20180113_143811.jpg FB_IMG_1515942416866.jpg FB_IMG_1515942425912.jpg

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice photo's (I love photo's of food). Those beans are huge. If you only posted the photo of the bean next to the coin, I would have no idea of what it was.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, that is one large bean. I trust the wine club meeting went well and congrats on a very nice run!

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

This was the Rehoboth wine group so we were going to use the clubhouse at my condo. The door would not open because of a computer issue. It would not read the swipe keys. We tried the key they gave me and the presidents key (that has all access) and neither would unlock the door. So at the last minute we had to switch to hosting 30 people in my condo. It was a tight squeeze.

Sunday the only exercise was walking the dogs. There was no blood sugar testing.

Monday:

I tested my blood sugar in a fasted state right before lunch. It was 93 which is considered normal. I then ate some bean stew for lunch. I know it is high in carbs but I figured it is good crabs right. 1 hour after eating my blood sugar was 178. That is very high.

Monday night was yoga.

Tuesday am blood sugar was 108.

Tonight will be a 5 mile run.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I misread the schedule. Tonight was a 3 mile run followed by a TRX routine. The run was 3 miles in 29 minutes. That was followed by 2 sets of the following with 30 second rest between sets.

Squat to Row: 10 reps
    Suspended Lunge: 8 reps on each leg
    Sprinter Start: 30 seconds per side
    Atomic Pushup: 10 reps
    Hamstring Curl to Hip Press: 5 reps

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Tonight was a 3 mile run followed by a TRX routine. The run was 3 miles in 29 minutes. That was followed by 2 sets of the following with 30 second rest between sets.

Squat to Row: 10 reps
    Suspended Lunge: 8 reps on each leg
    Sprinter Start: 30 seconds per side
    Atomic Pushup: 10 reps
    Hamstring Curl to Hip Press: 5 reps

Update to add.

After working out, my wife and I took the dogs for a 1 1/2 mile walk.

Diet has not been low carb this week and it won't be until after the weekend.

Tomorrow I am driving down to Suffolk va to my niece's house. My sister is visiting from Louisiana so I am heading down to see them. I don't think I will be able to follow a low carb diet. The last time I was there my niece made an apple pie from scratch. It was yummy.

On Monday a client called wanting someone on site for the next few months. Guess who will be spending time in Jacksonville FL. This is a different client then the one in Tampa that I had a few meetings with. It looks like I will be there 3 to 4 days a week initially starting the week of the 29th.

The good thing is I won't have snow as an excuse to skip a run (like yesterday).

#3368 macdiver, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  9. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    You? :confused:

I hear it's cold down there right now. :nod:

[​IMG]

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

On my way to my niece's house, I had a nice gentleman flag me down for a nice chat. It will probably cost me several hundred dollars. 63 in a 45. I missed the reduced speed. I pointed at the sign 50 feet in front of my car that said 55. He told me that is where it goes back up. Having Jersey plates in Virginia wasn't going to get me a break.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bummer about your chat with the gentleman for VA.

Enjoy the time with your family.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like the way you worded that. :)

Having New Jersey plates in Virgina

I was thinking the opposite, that was the reason for the ticket.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes, that is what I meant. Out of states plates means I was getting a ticket.

I saw several other people getting tickets (after I got mine) in these small towns. This morning a cop was sitting in the same spot where I got caught on Friday. Obviously it is a good money making venture for that town.

Todays exercise was consolidating my older fire wood into one rack and stacking the fire wood from the large tree branch that I cut up. I had to split the large pieces before stacking. I have to split the wood using an axe and small sledge hammer. While not cardio it was strenuous.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

I've been trying to not get too excited but

FLY EAGLES FLY.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on your birds.

Splitting wood may not be cardio per se, but it certainly gets one's heart rate going. Functional exercise!

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

This week has been a week of excuses.

Monday night we had an early dinner with friends at a restaurant in Philly. So no workout.
    Tuesday I got stuck at the office. So no workout.
    Wednesday I had stomach issues. I think I had a bad shrimp for dinner Tuesday night. So no workout.
    Today my stomach is better but I don't trust it for running. I may head downstairs to use the straps.

Today was our annual bonus day. However as business was bad there were no bonuses. We did have our games to have some fun and we got out early. I did get my 25 year bonus.

For long term service, there was one 5 year, no 10 or 15 year, one 20 year, three 25 year and two 30 year awards. One of the 30 years started when she graduated high school at 17 or 18 years old. The company had only been in business for 3 years and she was the first secretary. She now is one of our CAD designers

#3376 macdiver, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry about the lack of an annual bonus, but I'm sure it was nice to receive the longevity one.

Have a good workout and I hope you're 100% tomorrow.

18. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you work in some kind of temporal stasis field where it's perpetually 1960? :eek: I don't even see that kind of longevity in the federal govt. :confused:

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Today was our annual bonus day. However as business was bad there were no bonuses. We did have our games to have some fun and we got out early. I did get my 25 year bonus.

For long term service, there was one 5 year, no 10 or 15 year, one 20 year, three 25 year and two 30 year awards. One of the 30 years started when she graduated high school at 17 or 18 years old. The company had only been in business for 3 years and she was the first secretary. She now is one of our CAD designers

Congratulations on 25 years. You also must have started there very young.

My company also discontinued the 5/10/15 etc year awards also. Nothing makes me feel older than it comes up how long I have worked for this company, and then one of the younger people in the office has to mention, I was in Kindergarten when you started. :)

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks re bonus. I never made it downstairs to workout. Instead I lit a fire and chilled (or warmed).

Ever see the movie "The Firm" (or read the book) ?:help: :D

Thanks. We would have given out the 10 and 15 but there were none. At lunch on Thursday some one asked who the youngest at the table was. He is 23, so I started working at this company before he was born (worse, I was 27 when I started here).

My stomach was fine yesterday. My work out yesterday was a 4 mile walk with the dogs.

I will be going for a run in a little bit. Since I haven't run all week, I'm not doing the 10 mile I had planned but will probably do a 6 miler. The route I am thinking has some hills.

Thanks to inspiration from Mr. Seltzer, I bought some london broil at Costco yesterday which I marinated over night and now is in my dehydrator making jerky. I used a Keto friendly recipe that uses Tamari sauce which is wheat free soy sauce and does not use any sugar like some recipes.