1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wishing and the family a happy and healthy New Year and sending vibes that you achieve all your 2018 goals.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I just ran 6 miles in 1:02 so 6 mph. It was 15 degrees with a wind chill of 2 degrees when I left. I think it warmed up to 16 by the time I finished. Running when it's this cold makes me wonder why I left Louisiana and California to live on the east coast.

Impressed by your ability to run outside in this weather. According to some articles I read, there is going to be a mass exodus of people leaving the high tax states to the low tax states (probably Louisiana qualifies as a low tax state), since they can no longer deduct state income and property taxes. Me thinks that is an exaggeration. Happy New Year.

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thanks.

I know quite a few people who will be leaving when they retire but have to stay for now because of needing their paycheck.

Day 1

I tested my blood sugar 1 hour after breakfast. I had a cheese omlet. After eating it was 108. I should have tested before eating.

I did a yoga video at home. The studio is closed today.

Happy New Year everyone.

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 2

No blood sugar testing

Diet has been good so far. I don't expect that to change.

After work I went down to the basement and did squats, bench, single leg dead lifts, DB bent over rows and OHP.

I don't know if I can continue squatting up to my marathon. I may have to drop the squats as my marathon training increases.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I wasn't able to squat when doing big marathon training miles, but you may differ. Essentially I would squat until I felt they were hurting my performance and recoveries from the runs.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thanks for bringing the Delaware marathon to my attention. No spring marathons this year for me. Good luck on your training.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today's run wasn't bad but I noticed my legs felt weaker while squatting last night so I cut my reps to 5 for each set.

Thanks.

Day 3

Blood sugar was 111 this morning.

Diet was pretty good yesterday.

I did a 4 mile run this evening after work. Stats were 4 miles, 39:33 minutes for a 9:54 pace. I seem to be slower running in the cold. It must be the shoes. :D

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 4

No blood sugar reading

Diet has been ok. My wife had made Salisbury steak over the weekend. Evidently it has bread crumbs and ketchup so the carbs we're higher than I thought.

Tonight exercise was shoveling snow. My snow blower work great on part of the driveway but once I reached the where the plow had blocked the end it started jamming up. Once it started jamming it wouldn't stop. I ended up doing about half of the driveway by hand. In trying to clear a jam I managed to smash a finger. It is already starting to turn black and blue. I don't think it is broken. Hopefully I won't loose the finger nail.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

My wife had made Salisbury steak

I haven't heard that term in years. I remember as a kid eating TV Dinners - Salisbury steak. That brings back memories. Funny, you don't hear that term anymore "TV Dinner". If you asked someone under 25 what a TV dinner is, I bet 90% wouldn't have a clue.

Hope finger is not badly damaged.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Shamie, I agree with you about the term "TV dinner".

Mac, like Shamie, I hope your finger is okay.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

I agree that most kids would not have heard of a tv dinner which is ironic sense most families basically only eat the modern versions of it - prepared foods designed to be nuked or reheated quickly.

The finger will be fine. It is a 50/ 50 chance that I will loose the nail based on previous experience smashing my fingers.

Day 5

Blood sugar was 90 this morning

Diet will be marginal. My wife had cooked a lot of food for her parents over New Years weekend (the aforementioned salisbury steak, wedding soup, some chicken dishes, etc). She had made beef stew which has potatoes and carrots. After shovelling snow, I was too hungry to fix my own lunch today so I had the beef stew. I'm sure I am over 20 net grams and will probably finish in the 30 to 40 range.

Exercise was clearing snow off the deck, re-clearing the driveway which had drifted over, and clearing the front walk and steps. It took twice as long as I expected since the driveway was almost completely covered again.

#3351 macdiver, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 6

I didn't test blood sugar this morning.

Diet today has been on target for low carb. Probably a little light on calories though.

No exercise today. I was supposed to run but that isn't happening when the temperature is in the single digits with a serious wind still blowing.

Tomorrow I will probably lift or use the old Nordic track to get some exercise.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 7

Blood sugar was 92.

Diet was on target yesterday

This morning I used the old Nordic track for 30 minutes. I'm hoping that this will help me get ready for the marathon as it is way way too cold to run outside. It was 1 degree Fahrenheit at 7:00 am real temperature not wind chill.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A belated thanks about the Delaware marathon. Having not run at all in such a long time I doubt I'll be able to ramp it up in time.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

No worries. I just threw it out there just in case anyone was interested.

Day 8 Monday

Blood sugar was 111

Diet yesterday ended up higher in carbs than I thought. Most of them came from the butternut squash we had with dinner. That was 38 grams per MyFitnessPal. Hopefully my blood sugar will return to normal tomorrow.

Tonight was yoga. The normal Monday evening instructor was not able to make it due to the winter mix (ice) we are getting. Another instructor who takes the class substituted for him. She did a good job with matching the style of his class. I took one of her classes before and her normal style is different.

Before class the owner of the studio mentioned that I should take the instructor training. While some of it is business driven ( instructor training isn't cheap) I don't think she recommends it to everyone. I took it as a compliment.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Regardless of the owner's agenda, which may be pure, that is a nice compliment.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 9

This morning blood sugar was 99.

Diet was on target yesterday.

No exercise today.

Tonight I am cooking ribs on my gas grill. I used a foil pouch with some wood chips to provide the same key. I doubt they will be as good as what I can make on the Kamado. For my half, I will very lightly glaze them with bbq sauce. Bbq sauce is mostly sugar. According to MyFitnessPal, that will put me around 22 net grams of carbs for the day.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 10

Blood sugar was 111

As I mentioned I was having ribs. It is hard to determine how much bbq sauce I used on my ribs but it was probably more than I estimated.

Tonight I ran 3 miles in about 28 minutes. The first mile was slow then the next two were at 9:13.

PeteBDawg likes this.
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    How easy/difficult did you find controlling the temperature for the ribs on your gas grill?

That's a nice run, especially the last two miles.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Controlling the temperature isn't too bad. Unlike the ceramic, the gas grill responds quickly. I preheated the grill to 350 and held it there for 5 or so minutes to get my cast iron grates hot. If you don't have the heavy cast iron grates, this step is not necessary. I then turned off the burners and opened the lid for a minute or two while I put the foil pack on the one burner and oiled my grates. Once I closed the lid and the temperature had fallen to below 250, I turned the one burner on low (the other 2 burners were off and put the ribs on the other side away from the lit burner. From there it only took a few minor adjustments to maintain my temp. I smoked for 40 minutes at 225, then wrapped the ribs in foil and cooked at 275 for an hour. Then I finished on high heat to glaze on the sauce. In all honesty, these ribs were thicker and could have used more time than I had allowed.

Day 11 (Thursday)

Blood sugar was 103 in the morning. I tested just before dinner and it was 78. Dinner was a pork chop, grilled vegetables (zucchini, peppers, onions, and mushrooms) and a salad with a homemade buttermilk dressing. One hour after dinner blood sugar was 99.

No exercise other than walking the dogs.

Day 12 (Friday)

Blood sugar was 104 this morning.

I will be lifting weights this morning.

I have a client call sometime this morning. He will be calling me. I also have the heater guy coming over to service our unit. Because of the trip this fall and just being busy we never had it serviced. It started making funny noises earlier this week (I think its the fuel pump so probable clogged fuel filter) so it is time to had it serviced. So my guess is the client will call when the heater guy arrives.