1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Not really. We have a small project there but mostly I am just there for a Peer review for a different project.

Today was pulls

Deadlift 3 x 8 x 70 kg
    BB row 3 x 8 x 32.5 kg
    Leg extension 3 x 8 x 7.5 kg
    Leg curl 3 x 8 x 10 kg
    Seated cable pull down 3 x 8 x 35 kg
    DB side lat raises 3 x 8 x 7.5 lbs
    Ab wheel roll outs

2. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 22 of 30

Blood sugar was 106

Diet: on target for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Last night was my NJ wine group holiday dinner. We went to a really great restaurant near here. I limited my carbs for my apps and entree but.... I couldn't resist ordering dessert. I went for the olive oil cake French toast. I regret nothing.:D

Mother Nature is conspiring against me. :burr: Since Saturday last week, every run day we have had snow either that day or the night before. I choose not to run in it. My plan was to run outdoors all winter. I may need to come up with an alternate plan so it will quit snowing. :surrender:

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I went for the olive oil cake French toast.

Never heard of such a thing, it sounds like something for breakfast. That is a good plan, have dessert infrequently, and when you have it, have something you enjoy.

If you do run outside, at least don't run barefoot. :)

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

I have had olive oil cake before but not where it was sliced extra thick, pan browned in butter and served with a caramel sauce. It was delicious.

As far as outdoor running goes, I have a pair of moccasins that I wear with socks if it is below 40 or so. The feet don't like to be cold. Thanks.

I forgot to log that my exercise for Saturday was going to be shoveling the snow. There was enough that I just couldn't let it melt especially since my in-laws were coming over but not enough to break out the big snow blower so I cleared it by hand.

Sunday Day 23 of 30

Blood sugar was 114.

Diet was meh for Saturday. My Nieces came over in the afternoon on Saturday to help my wife make Christmas cookies. I didn't eat any of the cookies. We also celebrated their 15th birthday (they are twins), My MIL 80 something birthday, and my birthday that evening. We all have November Birthdays so we celebrate them at one combined dinner. I ate the "smashed" potatoes and I ate Birthday cake.

Sunday AM was a Yoga class.

This morning (Monday) Day 24 of 30

Blood sugar was 121

Sunday diet was not good 3rd day in a row. "Tis the Season". We had another holiday dinner with the Bucks County Dining Club. I ate the potatoes and the desert. The desert was not as good as Friday's or the Birthday cake my wife had made. The carbs are showing in my blood sugar readings. I had been averaging around 100 (according to my meter) for the week before and now am back in the 110's or higher.

I will be doing a yoga class tonight.

#3324 macdiver, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 25 of 30

This morning blood sugar was 112

Diet yesterday was a disaster. Lets just say once the damn is broken there was no holding back. I had Christmas candy, cookies, and left over birthday cake.

I did make it to my yoga class last night. It was a good class.

I have to leave for a client meeting this morning, so I will run this evening after work.

Today will be a better day. There is a good chance that I will be eating pizza for lunch again. If so, I will get the diet soda.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Interesting how your blood sugar went down despite your dietary choices.

Enjoy the pizza!

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Like the scale, daily fluctuations in my fasted reading are hard to correlate but the trend over a week or so does seem to track against the amount of carbs I have eaten.

Yesterday I ran the planned 3 miles. I need to call Garmin and arrange to send my watch in for repairs

Day 26 of 30

Blood sugar was 109 this morning

Diet was good. I didn't have the pizza. The client ordered lunch in. I had a salad with tuna.

This morning was pushes

Squats 3 x 8 @ 42.5 kg
    Bench 3 x 8 @ 37.5 kg
    DB lunges 3 x 8 @ 22.5 lbs
    DB inclined bench 3 x 8 @ 30 lbs
    Calf raises 3 x 12 @ 47.5 kg
    OHP 3 x 8 @ 27.5 kg
    Dips body weight 3 x 5

#3327 macdiver, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 27 of 30

Blood sugar was 117

Diet: Another holiday dinner = more carbs. We went to our annual "Chinese Peking Duck" dinner last night. My breakfast, lunch and snacks were good though.

Tonight will be another 3 mile run after work.

I was going back to see how many days I ate right and exercised and realized I had double counted day # 8 but then skipped day # 12 so the day #27 is correct. :doh:

Current total:

Both diet & exercise good:. 16
    Diet good no exercise: 2
    Exercise good diet not: 6
    Neither diet nor exercise: 3

I decided to take measurements

Weight 129.6 lb
    Height 65"
    Neck 14.25
    Waist at belly button 31.25
    BF using navy tape measure 15.6%
    BF using 3 point 10.2

The 15.6 is probably closer to being right.

3 mile run completed. Somehow it seems quieter running in the dark. A little spookier too.

#3328 macdiver, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 28 of 30

Blood sugar was 107

Diet yesterday was wonton soup for lunch and stove top stuffing with dinner. So not low carb

Today was pulls

Deadlift 75 kg x 8,8,8
    BB row 35 kg x 8,8,8
    Leg extension 10 kg x 8,8,8
    Leg curl 15 kg x 8,8,8
    Seated cable pull down 35 kg x 8,8,8
    DB side lat raises 10 lbs x 8,8,8
    Ab wheel roll outs

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 29 of 30

Blood sugar was 97. I waited until after my run to do the test which probably is why it was below 100 (which is where it should be)

Diet yesterday was not like carb. I'll probably not be low carb until after Christmas. I knew coming into the holidays it would be difficult to stay and 20 grams net carbs. I still will try to limit the meals and snacks where I can.

Today was a 5 mile run. It was nice and in the 50's so I left the moccasins at home and ran barefoot. I reset the Garmin using the computer. That worked. I'm happily I don't have to send it in for repairs. Stats are 5 miles in 49 minutes for an average pace of 9:44.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice pace. Merry Christmas.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

Day 30 of 30

No blood sugar reading.

Yesterday was surprisingly low carb. I ate low carb through the day. We went to a friend's house for dinner. The only carb was a baked brie with a balsamic and black cherry preserve topping that I ate on crackers

This morning was a 3 mile run on the boardwalk. It was colder today so I wore my moccasins.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Merry Christmas, everyone

leftyx likes this.
  14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

We did. My MIL ended up going into the hospital on Friday for lung issues but was released on Sunday so she was able to celebrate with us. We weren't sure if we were going to have to postpone Christmas dinner.

This morning was a yoga class. We focused on core work. Me thinks my abs are going to be sore tomorrow.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

No blood sugar test this morning.

Low carb diet is on hold

This morning was a 3 mile run just under 30 minutes. It was 21 degrees outside. I'm not sure if it was my coldest run or not but if not it has to be close.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today was a yoga class.

It looks like the frigid weather will continue so I will have to HTFU and run in it the next 3 days. My plan is 3 miles tomorrow and Sunday with a 5 miler on Saturday. :burr:

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Enjoy your runs. Happy New Year.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Happy New Year to you and your family as well

Yesterday's run didn't happen due to basically being lazy. It has already started snowing here so I won't be running today. I thought the snow was supposed to start in the afternoon.

I'm thinking of using the old Nordic track to get some cardio in. I need to recognize that I am a fair weather runner.

Update

I did a warm up followed by a Tabatha routine, then a cool down on the Nordic track. Afterwords I did some core work.

#3339 macdiver, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  20. macdiver

Bronze Member

As it is a New Year, I have set a few goals for 2018

1. Exercise consistently.

I know there will be days that I miss but I need to end this cycle of exercising for a week or two then randomly working out for the next month or two.

2. Run a Spring and Fall marathon

This may help with # 1. I can run a half with little training but I need to train for a full.

3. Maintain a normal blood sugar level

I will use a Keto diet to get my blood sugar below 100 and keep it there. I know I won't be 100% for every meal but if most of my meals are low carbs I will be fine. I just can't let myself go on a 1 month carbs binge.

Those are my health and fitness goals. I have some professional goals as well but I won't bore you guys with them.

Update

I just ran 6 miles in 1:02 so 6 mph. It was 15 degrees with a wind chill of 2 degrees when I left. I think it warmed up to 16 by the time I finished. Running when it's this cold makes me wonder why I left Louisiana and California to live on the east coast.

#3340 macdiver, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017