1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

The straps are on option I'm considering. It allows me to do strength training wherever I am but doesn't address my cardio.

2. macdiver

Bronze Member

I still haven't figured out what I want to do for fitness. Other than putting on shoes and sucking it up, running in the winter is my stumbling block.

Before I left for Spain, my weight was around 127. When I got back, I was 132. Without really doing anything, I am back down to 128. I had been averaging in the 132 - 135 range for a few years. I thought that was my new normal but now realize that that was my "travel" weight.

My fasted blood sugar is in the 110 to 120 range which is high. I have not been low carb since leaving on vacation. I will start back on my low carb diet today. My target is 20 grams of carbs with the carbs coming from veggies. Initially I'm also going to do a 16/8 IF routine. I'm going to test my blood sugar when I wake up and right before eating lunch (my first meal). I may do some testing around meals as well.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today was one of those shitty days at work. We had another big project stopped last week. We had layoffs today. I'm safe for now. If this doesn't turn around no one will be safe at my company.

Most of the people let go were getting ready to retire anyways. 4 of the ten were over 65. 3 of the others are turning 65 in the next year or so. Basically everyone who I considered my superiors (that weren't owners) was cut. I've worked with most of them for 25 years. Really tough to say goodbye.

#3283 macdiver, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the problems in your office. Does your office have a good severance policy?

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Like Shamie, I'm sorry to read about what's going on in your office.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

I know there was a severance package but I don't know the details. However, since we don't have a pension, I'm thinking there was a reason they hadn't retired yet and no severance package would help if they only have social security.

Thanks.

It is weird. There are projects out there and we are bidding on and getting but the big projects that we won all got stopped shortly after starting. The ones we didn't win are still going forward so our competitors are busy.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I found my straps for working out. I had left them in Rehoboth. I'm going to try the 12 week plan that I had started when I made the straps. One change will be on cardio days I will do yoga instead. I will do the Monday evening class and will do videos at home the other days. The yoga studio has a bunch of videos online that I can use.

Low carb has not been going well this past week. I have had carbs almost every day. I haven't had any yet today but we are going to a murder mystery dinner with friends. The meal was included with the tickets and I don't know what my choices will be. With next week being Thanksgiving, I'm not sure next week will be better.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I was thinking it is very coincidental that the 3 people who live in NJ, are ones who post the most frequently in this forum.:confused: Happy Thanksgiving.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Obviously I knew that fact, but never "connected the dots" in my mind.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I had not realized that either.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today starts my low carb plus exercise plan. I know I gave said that for the last few weeks but this time I mean it.

This morning my blood sugar was 99 which was shocking considering what I ate yesterday. Mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, cranberry sauce. Carbs, carbs, and carbs with sugar in top. Nom, nom, nom.

I did a workout this morning using my straps. Not too strenuous as I was relearning the moves but I got it done.

According to Google, there are 31 days to Christmas. I'm not sure if that counts today or not. I'm going to use 30 days as my counter as which will get me to Christmas Eve. Until Christmas Eve, my only carbs will be vegetables ( not potatoes though), I will do some sort of workout everyday, and I will test my blood sugar everyday. In a few days I will test to see if I am in ketosis and will check periodically to make sure I remain in ketosis.

My workout plan is
    Monday yoga
    Wed and Fri yoga or cardio
    Tue, Thu, Sat strength training.

For strength training, I have decided to use the weights at home and my straps when in Rehoboth.

Sunday will be something active outdoors. It could be a run, a bike ride, a long walk with the dogs (1 hour min for the dog walk to count). Any other physical activity could count on Sunday too but my preference will be something outside.

Day 0 of 30.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wishing you well with your plan.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

Day 1 of 30 completed successfully

Yesterday was fairly low carb. I did have fried chicken for dinner but the restaurant uses a thin style coating so it shouldn't have been too many carbs.

Fasted blood sugar was 109

This morning was a 3 mile run on the boardwalk. I must not have been planning to run when I packed. I didn't have my Garmin nor my armband for my phone. So no timing or pace data or even music.

Since I post in the mornings, I will count my day as being completed successfully after my workout is done and if I was low carb the previous 24 hours. The exception will be Monday since I do yoga in the evening. My diet will be based on Sunday to Monday morning but I won't count my exercise until after the yoga class.

#3293 macdiver, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 2 of 30 completed successfully

Blood sugar was 94

Diet was low carb. Other than veggies, I did have a couple of spring roll apps that a friend brought over to share before dinner.

We will be taking the dogs for a nice walk in an hour or so. Once done I will edit this post to say that I completed day 2 successfully. Edited to say Done.

Yesterday after my run, my wife and I went for a 12 mile bike ride. The weather was perfect, no wind and around 60. Following the bike ride, we took the dogs downtown for a long walk.

#3294 macdiver, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice job taking advantage of the wonderful weather yesterday. Certainly a treat!

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks. Yes 60's is a nice surprise this time of year.

Day 3 of 30 completed successfully.

Blood sugar was 104 this morning.

Diet was low carb

I did 2 yoga classes this evening. One was the hard class that I normally take. The second was a Yin yoga class which has you hold the stretch for longer. It is a good follow on class for the hard one.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 4 of 30 completed successfully

Only non veggies carb yesterday was a little dusting of flour in the chicken wings my wife cooked for dinner.

Blood sugar was 108 this morning.

Push work out completed.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You are off to a good start on your workout program.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

Day 5 of 30 completed successfully

Blood sugar was 109. The last couple of days I tested after my morning coffee. Tomorrow I will remember to test as soon as I get out of bed.

Diet was on target for low carb. U have done some tracking on MyFitnessPal. I am averaging right at 20 grams net carbs.

This morning my legs were really sore. I think some of it was from Yoga Monday and some was the squats and lunges. I kept the weights low to get back into lifting. Either way I decided running would not be a pleasurable experience so I did a Leg Recovery yoga video.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Day 6 of 30 completed successfully

Blood sugar was 103. I tested immediately after getting out of bed.

Diet was on target for low carb.

I really wanted to run today but it was too cold this morning so I decided to wait and run after work when it was warmer. It was around 48 when I left for my run at 6:30 pm. Considering it was 35 this morning my plan worked. I ran 2 miles. I wore my Garmin but it looks like it didn't connect to a satellite. It said I ran 2.3 miles and the app doesn't show where I ran. I wonder if it was set to indoor run where it uses my cadance and average distance per step to calculate the distance.