1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Dear son spent an entire semester studying in Barcelona and we spent over two weeks in the city and its surroundings. Absolutely one of my favorite cities. When we were there in the spring of 2016 "rebel" flags were everywhere, but we didn't encounter any issues. Since the political situation has gotten more radicalized since then one piece of advice is that if you speak Spanish try to minimize it as it's a different language than Catalan and it is spoken in the parts of the country that the region wants to become independent of. Most folks will surely know you're American though they may not be receptive to you speaking Spanish.

While in Spain wifey and I ran into the opposite issue. It was obvious that we were tourists and didn't have a command of the language, but after a couple of weeks we picked up enough Catalan, with help from dear son, to do order in a restaurant for example. All fine and good until we visited Madrid and spoke Catalan; let's just say it did not go over well.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I don't speak Spanish, Catalan, nor Basque. No chance of me offending anyone. :D

I need to get some errands done this morning and finish packing. We leave tonight.

I doubt if I will work out in Spain but I am taking running clothes just in case the urge strikes.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Have a great vacation!

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Have a great vacation. What do you do with the dogs when you are on vacation?

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

We have a dog sitter come and stay with them at our house. That way they are home and some one is coming and going so the house is not an easy target.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Having a great time. Eating way too much. While we are having lots of vino, I can't say that I am drinking too much. The six of us are sharing 2 bottles per meal which is two glasses each or so. At the wineries, we are not finishing the wines, just tasting and dumping and buying.

The hardest thing to adjust to is lunch is at 2 -3 and dinner starts after 9.

I got out on the ocean front promenade in San Sebastian for a run. I ran the entire thing end to end and back. 3.75 miles in 35 minutes.

Nice and sunny today. We have had some rainy days. The Barcelona side was in the 80's. The Atlantic side is in the upper 60's.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Glad you're enjoying yourselves.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

The six of us are sharing 2 bottles per meal which is two glasses each or so. At the wineries, we are not finishing the wines, just tasting and dumping and buying.

Mucho vino. You must be sick of it. :help::lol:

Enjoy your trip. Kudo's for making time to run on your vacation.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks guys

See if this works. We are staying in a very modern architecture hotel in a very small old town in the Rioja region. Sadly I don't know the name of the town.

[​IMG]

The hotel next to the church.

Not sure why the pictures are not loading

[​IMG]

#3269 macdiver, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  10. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm home now for a few days. We have to work today and tomorrow. Thursday night we leave for our annual wine conference This year it is in the Poconos so it is convenient to drive there.

After this weekend I will start back on my low carbs diet. Again it isn't so much for weight loss as it will be for blood sugar control. I also need to start and stick with an exercise routine. It doesn't matter what I do as long as I do it.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm back. As noted above, Spain was great. The American Wine Society (AWS) wine conference was great too. I had several classes that I didn't expect much which turned out to be really good. One was a Riesling class where they bottled different parts of the vineyard separately. The grapes where all picked on the same day and treated exactly the same. 4 of the bottles tasted about the same, 3 were noticeably different from each other and the other 4. I think he said the total distance separating the sections was about two football fields so not that big of an area.

A different tasting was not an official tasting for the conference. Several members of my other wine group (The DIonysians) decided to do a private tasting in honor of the AWS 50th anniversary. The chancellor put up 3 1967 bottles of Bordeaux wines, and other people contributed 3 more bottles of 1967 wines (2 Barolo's and 1 more Bordeaux). I expected theses wines to be dead. All but one of the other non fortified 50 year old wines I have tasted have been dead. All 6 of these were good. While not young and fresh, the were not oxidized, had nice flavor and structure. Truly a once in a lifetime experience.

On to fitness. I will go to Yoga tonight and start my strength training program tomorrow. I'm not sure what my program will be so I will cobble something together or do one of my previous routines.

Yesterday's exercise was "functional" as Seltzer likes to say. While in Spain I had half of a tree break off. I went to cut it up with my chainsaw but learned the fuel line had a leak. I ended up cutting it up using my hand saw. I cut the larger sections into firewood and cut all the small stuff up to be hauled away. Only the main truck remains as it was too large for my hand saw. I will need to borrow a chainsaw to cut that into firewood. I will also need to learn how to split it as it is about 20" in diameter.

#3271 macdiver, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

At the marathon expo, they had a booth for the Barcelona Marathon.

Do you have a wine cellar?

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

My cellar consists of racks and boxes in my unfinished basement. I don't have a special room as my cellar. The important factors for storing wine is darkness, stable temperature, and humidity. I keep my important wines in boxes so they are not exposed to light. The basement is fairly stable in temperature but not as cool as is recommended. Wines prefer high humidity. I keep the humidity low in my basement to avoid mold. So I provide 2 of the 3 conditions.

When we got back from Spain last Tuesday, my wife got sick with a stomach thing. We thought it was food poisoning. We learned that one of the other people we were with also got sick on the same day which to me confirmed food poisoning. I started having diarrhea yesterday at work which is either a bad coincidence or it means that they didn't have food poisoning but had a stomach bug. At least I can keep food down and am not nauseous as well (like they were).

Due to the stomach issues, I did not go to yoga yesterday nor will I be working out today.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

I think I figured out why I couldn't post pictures while in Spain. My membership had expired.

I'm going try to post a picture of a 500 year old cave used to store wine (the perfect wine cellar).

IMG_20171027_174225.jpg

Yep, that worked.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Feel better soon. Same thoughts for your wife.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Get well soon to you both.

That photo looks like a NYC or Path subway tunnel.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks guys. For the most part I feel fine but I'm still having some issues which hopefully will end soon.

I have to give a talk today at a Symposium on a topic I don't know much about. I started a project based on this technology at the end of August so in October it was thought I would be a Subject Matter Expert on it. :rolleyes: As if public speaking isn't frightening enough, try presenting a new to you topic. Maybe the stomach issues are just nerves. :D

The California job is all but officially over. We we're notified yesterday that our on going support can stop. I decided to have a party at my house for my team and their spouses this Sunday. I think I will do pulled pork but that may change when I go shopping.

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

It's going to be nice to not have all those cross country trips.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Agreed.

I went to yoga last night. It was a good class and I may be a little sore later today.

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do fitness wise. I'm going to stay with the Monday yoga class. I know I won't run outside now that it is cold. I was thinking of joining a gym. Ideally I could join a gym that had a location near me in both NJ and Rehoboth, but that doesn't really exist. The Y charged me $5 a visit in Rehoboth and was around $60 per month here in NJ. I could join two 2 19.99 gyms for less. It looks like we will be on 4 day work weeks through January maybe longer. This means I will be in Rehoboth on Fridays most weekends and need access to equipment. A gym would also provide access to a treadmill for running.

Any suggestions are welcome.

#3279 macdiver, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:46 AM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 7:24 AM
  20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I have no gym suggestions, but what about buying a set of travel Db's that you fill with water to give them some heft, but empty are light weight to transport? Also, what about using your Macdiver designed pseudo TRX straps?