1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

I didn't use the straps for a work out yesterday. I did get the dogs out for a long walk plus all the normal walks. My steps for the day were over 10000 but I don't know the exact amount. Every time I synced my Garmin with the app it would turn off tracking. At first I didn't realize it so several of the dog walks weren't counted plus my walk on the beach. I found the setting in the app and switched it. It did count 10,990 steps yesterday.

This morning fasted blood sugar reading was 92. Yesterday was a low carb day. My only cards came from salads and a glass of milk.

2. macdiver

No real work out yesterday. I did get 20250 steps in between walking the dogs, walking to the bathroom at the beach and a very short walk to the restaurant for dinner.

The restaurant is so close that my normal "short" dog walk takes me past it. Last night my wine group had a social dinner there. It is a seafood restaurant and one if the specials last night was Hawaiian sea bass on a bed if spinach with 1 side. I chose brussel sprouts to keep the meal very low carb. It was quite tasty.

Fasted Blood sugar this morning was 93. So it's tracking in the low 90's down almost 20 points since I started low carb last Tuesday. And that is with the potato Tuesday and the sandwich on Thursday. I'll probably test a meal or two this week to see what my post meal blood sugar is.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Your dinner last night sounds very tasty. Is Hawaiian sea bass similar to Chilean sea bass?

20,000 steps is no joke and I got a chuckle how you made sure to mention about the walk to the restaurant counting as exercise because I do the same thing. Steps are steps, right? :lol:

4. macdiver

I wasn't familiar with Hawaiian Sea Bas so I looked it up. It is in the grouper family but I thought it was closer to Chilean sea bass then the grouper in used to.

Yes all steps count even for food.

5. macdiver

As usual for a Monday I had to wake up early and drive home from the beach to drop the dogs off then go to work. I took my blood sugar when I woke up at 4:30 and it was 101. That was a little higher then the readings that I had been getting around 7:30 for the last few days. So when I got to NJ I retested to see if it had dropped. It now was at 120. The only thing I had had between the two readings was black coffee which isn't suppose to impact my blood sugar. I had gone to happy hour yesterday with some friends at a ale house restaurant. I should have had wine but went with beer since it is an ale house. I'm guessing that was enough carbs to raise my blood sugar. I'm being good today so hopefully tomorrows reading will be back below 100.

Tonight was the Monday yoga class. I successfully did the partial flying spilt pose with both legs. I didn't try to extend my lower leg.

6. macdiver

I did a beginner yoga class this evening. It was good to go back and focus on form. This was the instructor that used to have the intermediate class on wed am.

This morning fasted blood sugar was 104. Im trying an experiment tonight. I'll let you know in a few days if it worked.

7. macdiver

Early morning blood sugar is still running high. By lunch it is normal. My experiment is in progress. If I'm correct, my morning reading will be in the low 90's by Monday and will drop below 90 by the end of next week.

I haven't really tested around my meals according to the testing protocol but today's lunch was a crab cake Caeser salad at a local sandwich shop. Per the waitress, there is no filler just seasoning in the crab cake. I asked for no croutons. 1 hour 15 minutes later +/- my reading was 88. There was no filler. :D

The low carb meals are limiting the post meal spikes.

Interesting to me is I used to "take more than my fair share" from the candy bowl at the office. They fill it a few times a week. Most days it is empty. I would wait till they filled it, then would take a few pieces of the "fun size" candy bars. I would then keep going back every few minutes for more till the good stuff was gone. The secretaries would make fun of me for of me. This week it was almost empowering to walk by and think "I don't eat that anymore". I did notice that the"good stuff" lasted a lot longer. :o Seriously, normally it was gone in an hour, this week it took several hours. How much was I f'ing eating. My boss told me a while back that the candy budget was several hundred dollars. She should save some money now.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice to read that the changes you've made and are monitoring are having a positive effect.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like that thought process "I don't eat that anymore".

10. macdiver

Carbs were kept low over the weekend for the most part. I did have a mojito with the wife on Saturday afternoon. Last night we were at a dining club dinner. Surprisingly for a dining club dinner one of our choices was a no carbs entrée of salmon, scallops and shrimp with julienne vegetables in lieu of the pasta. The wife of the couple whose turned it was to host coincidentally is retiring this week so there was cake. I had a small piece and one mini canolli. My Blood Sugar at the 1 hour +/- mark was 90 so the sweets didn't spike it too high.

My morning reading was 105. It was 83 on Saturday morning and 112 yesterday. I think had I remained below 30 net carbs on Saturday and Sunday I would be seeing readings like Saturday AM. Friday afternoon I was just starting to enter Ketosis per the ketostick. I think once I am in Ketosis I'll see my morning readings go normal as my liver stores of glycogen are depleted. High am readings are known as the dawn phenomenon.

My wife put our yoga memberships on hold until November. While I only have a few weeks before we leave for Spain, I think I am going to do stronglifts for the next few weeks. I'm going to start my squats, bench and rows at 40 kg. I'll start dead lifts at 60 kg and ohp at 20 kg.

I may squeeze a run or two in over the next few weeks.

Update. Stronglifts complete. During my first set of rows, I felt a twinge in the shoulder where the lump was removed. I lowered the weight to 30 kg for the next 4 sets and was fine.

#3250 macdiver, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wise idea to let you shoulder acclimate to the movement and weights by lowering the latter after you felt a twinge.

12. macdiver

:nod:

Today was Stronglift B

Squat 42.5 kg 5 x 5
    OHP 20 kg 5 X 5
    Dead lift 60 kg 1 x 5

I think my legs were more sore after Monday's 40 kg squat than my chest / arm were after the 40 kg bench. :doh:

My morning blood sugar is still running in the low 100's. I figured after a week or more of 16/8 IF it would be in the 90's in the morning.

13. macdiver

The DOMS was really bad yesterday. I'm not sure I can squat today. I'm thinking of either going light to focus on form or doing Yoga instead.

My morning blood sugar reading was about the same. I was thinking of doing some post meal testing again to see if low carbs eating is at least keeping my spikes lower. My eating has been on target this week with the only carbs coming from vegetables. I didn't get to check to see if I am in Ketosis yesterday.

My 20th anniversary was on Wednesday. My wife had planned on getting us cupcakes from the local cupcake shop. Fortunately they were sold out and closed by the time she got there. We celebrated with a nice Ribeye and Shrimp Bruno for a surf and turf. The veggie was asparagus. My wife also had a potato. I just had extra beef and shrimp. A few years back we were able to buy a 1995 Merlot while we were at the winery. We had met in 1995. Since we don't had any 1997 wines we decided to open the 1995. I was expecting it to be past its prime. It wasn't. It was drinking very well and was better than a lot of the cheap wines we normally drink.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Happy anniversary.

15. macdiver

Thanks.

I tested my blood sugar after my meals yesterday. Lunch was a large salad with real turkey meat. I didn't test before lunch but at the 1 hour mark my reading was 98. Dinner was ribs and green giant corn in butter sauce. I lightly glazed my ribs with BBQ sauce while using the standard amount on my wife's half. Not exactly a low carbs meal but not excessive either. My wife had a baked potato but I didn't. I did have more ribs and corn to make up my calories. Again I didn't check my pre-meal reading but at the 1 hour mark it was 113. Both readings were below my fasted morning reading of 118.

At this point I'm going to continue my low carbs diet as it appears to be controlling my post meal readings which is very important. I think my morning readings will eventually fall into the normal range.

My exercise yesterday was limited to house work and walking the dogs. I took them to a park where one of them rolled in horse manure while the other one tried to eat it. o_O The one got a bath as soon as we got home.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Happy anniversary and that was a nice idea to have the wine from when you met. That dinner sounded wonderful as did the rib dinner; just what I need to read about when I'm fasting. :lol:

Gotta love dogs. We had a goose poop rolling "incident" about 6 weeks ago. :rolleyes:

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Only here would there be gladness that a wife couldn't buy an anniversary cupcake. :rolleyes: :lol:

That's awesome.

Jaer
    will have been with H 20 years this Dec. Of course, that's dating time, not marriage time.

Also, "H 20" ... WATER!

18. macdiver

Brief update

I haven't been working out which is why I haven't posted. I have been having some low back / left hip issues but that is not really why I haven't worked out. I could find something to do that would not aggregate the hip / back. I just haven't been motivated.

My diet has been pretty much on target. I did have a breakfast sandwich yesterday morning which was the first "real" carbs in a while. I haven't tested my blood sugar since early last week. I should test it now. I also haven't tested to see if I am in Ketosis since early last week. My plan was to eat very low carbs for all of last week which I did then see how my blood sugar is this week. The sandwich kind of busted my plan.

I went to Tampa for business at the end of last week. It was surprisingly easy to eat low carbs. When I asked the waitress to hold the rice with my entrée she offered a choice of mashed potatoes or a bed of spinach. I guess it isn't so uncommon.

Starting to prepare for my trip to Spain next week. We got the final itinerary it it looks great.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I went to Tampa for business at the end of last week. It was surprisingly easy to eat low carbs. When I asked the waitress to hold the rice with my entrée she offered a choice of mashed potatoes or a bed of spinach. I guess it isn't so uncommon.

But did you have the mashed potatoes instead.:)

Starting to prepare for my trip to Spain next week. We got the final itinerary it it looks great.

Are you going to Barcelona, and any concern about what is happening there (if that will be part of your trip).

20. macdiver

Yes we start in Barcelona. My wife is a little concerned. I told her not to try to vote in an illegal election and she would be fine. :D.

The tour company sent us an email yesterday. They have had groups there the last two weeks and the groups have reported that they have not felt that they were not safe. There has been some traffic issues and the one day the company changed the itenerary for them so they would not be near a protest.

No fitness updates.