1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I went for a 5 mile run this morning. I was bored with my usual route so I took a different route which I figured would be about 5 miles. Around the 4 1/2 mile point I was probably about 1/2 mile from home. I was feeling really good so I turned right to add on a few more miles including 1/2 mile or so of gravel. This was tough as it was around mile 6 that I hit the gravel path and the feet were tired. I slowed to about a 10:30 pace on that section.

You would be a good candidate for one of those Tony Robbins events, where the participants walk over burning coal. :)

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Didn't several people get burned at one of those a few years back?

Yesterday was a interesting blood sugar day. I had blueberry pancakes with maple syrup and bacon for breakfast. I didn't test my lunch of BBQ ribs and pork and beans. We got lunch at the local diary who also has a smoker. A late afternoon snack was a banana split. It was huge. I didn't eat diner because I was full all evening.

Exercise was a nice long walk with the dogs. The weather cleared finally so we spent the afternoon on the beach. The amount of sand erosion since last week was incredible. It would be to hard to describe but it was immediately apparent.

Blood sugar readings:

Fasted just after waking: 7:20 am. 97
    Before breakfast: 10:10 am 106
    After breakfast: 1 hour 11:32 am 180, missed the 2hour; 3 hour 1:15 pm 153 (I finished breakfast around 10:25 am)
    About 11/2 hors after the banana split 6:30 pm 111. (per google maps we left the ice cream store at 5:03 pm, scary that they track that)

Wow did the pancakes and sugar blow my reading away. Even if it goes over the 140 mark at 1 hour it should be below at 2 hours much less 3 hours. The ice cream doesn't seem to affect me as much. As I pondered on that it occurred to me that ice cream is mostly fat not sugar and carbs. It does have sugar but for reference my homemade ice cream is a quart (4 cups) of cream and a quart (4 cups) of whole milk to 1 cup of sugar so a much higher fat to sugar ratio. The pancakes are 2 cups flour and 1/4 cup sugar to 2 cups of low fat buttermilk so a much higher carbs to fat ratio. On top of that I put maple syrup (pure sugar water, yummy though)

An article on 1 and 2 hour post meal blood glucose:

Numbers Matter: 1-Hour Post Prandial Glucose Possible Predictor of Prediabetes Risk

I guessing Y'all will be glad when my posts get back to normal length.

#3222 macdiver, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  3. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for a 3 mile run on the beach this morning. A good description of the sand erosion is that last week the sand water interface was so steep that we chose to walk to the bathroom on the boardwalk because it was too difficult to walking the waters edge. Today it is flat. Flatter then the sloped roads I normally run on.

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

I did yoga last night. I'm not sure if it can be considered exercise though. I did the restore class which is focused more on stress reduction and meditation than poses. We did 4 poses plus savasana (corpse pose) in the 75 minutes. It was very relaxing. The two twist poses felt great.

Why Savasana Is the Hardest Yoga Pose

No exercise today.

No blood sugar testing today.

I will start the Keto Mediterranean diet next Tuesday. I'll start doing the early morning fasted test daily and will probably do a few tests around meals.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went for a run on the boardwalk today. My intention was to run 4 miles. Sometimes everything clicks like last week when I added miles to my run. This time wasn't one of those days. My first bad run in a while. I only ended up running 3 miles.

Stats were 3 miles in 28 minutes.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm sure you'll be on your game during your next run.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

The good thing is a have far fewer bad runs now than I did even just a few years ago. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

We are still in Rehoboth. We had to go to m wife's cousin 50th birthday party yesterday. Based on location and not wanting to loose an entire weekend at the beach we decided to take today off. We drove up to the party yesterday and back down last night.

I will be starting to go very low carbs today though it might not be possible today. While we have stuff for sandwiches here we don't have stuff for salads so I may have to have a sandwich for lunch. We are also meeting friends for happy hour so there will be shared apps which may have carbs. So really I had a low carbs breakfast today and will be starting low carbs tomorrow.

During the initial few weeks I probably won't work out until my body adjust to low carbs. The tricky part for me will be trying to keep my calories about the same. My goal is to control my blood sugar not to lose weight. I will be testing my fasted blood sugar every morning and will test as needed through the day to verify that it isn't spiking too high or worse dropping too low.

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Wow. I get busy for a few months, and I catch up to everyone doing medical tests!

Which is fascinating, by the way. Good luck with the lower carb diet plan.

Jaer
    wonders what tests he should be getting done....

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Not getting off to a good start. My lunch and snacks were ok but dinner - not so much. When I got home, my wife told me my baked potato was in the oven. For marital harmony, I ate the potato without mentioning that "I DON'T eat potatoes any more".

This morning fasted blood sugar was 111 at 4 am.

Tomorrow along with the fasted blood sugar test, I will weigh myself and get some other numbers. I will also remind my wife that I will not be eating carbs other than veggies that are low in starch and sugar. Mostly vegetables that grow above ground and are found in salads.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Todays Numbers:

Weight: 128.6 pounds. I was surprised I was below 130. I haven't been below 130 since my last marathon in 2014.
    3 point caliper test: 13% BF
    Neck: 14.5 ; Stomach at largest - 31.75
    Navy BF based on above 20%

Normally the Navy test puts me at 16% or so when I weighed more. I'm not sure why at a lower weight it has me higher. The measurements are about the same +/- 1/8 inch or so.

Anyways, my goal is to try and keep my weight about the same while eating very low carbs. This may be difficult as eating lots of low carbs veggies do not add a lot of calories.

Fasted blood sugar was 109 this morning. For some reason my meter is not talking to my phone. I tried re-pairing the Bluetooth and that didn't work. The meter is brand new. :curses:

UPDATE

I entered my height wrong in the Navy body fat calculator. I entered 55 for 5 ft 5 inch. I should've entered 65 inches. When I entered it correctly I get 16%.

#3231 macdiver, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I didn't know there was such a thing as a Navy body fat calculator. But I googled it, and my fat % came to 18%. I think it is fairly accurate. Tanita body fat scale gives me about 14%, but I think 18 is closer.

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Eat potatoes for marital harmony. Got it.

Jaer
    likes that he gets more than fitness and diet advice here; he gets marital/life advice. Funny that he still needs it after 12 years (will be 12 on Sunday, anyway).

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Marital harmony trumps a potato at dinner every day of the week.

Jaer, happy wife = happy life.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

For me the Navy test seems more accurate. It seems that I have more internal fat (viceral) than fat under the skin which produces a low reading with calipers but is detected in my waist measurement. There is around a 2" difference in my measurement at the belly button and at the narrowest part of my waist just a few inches lower. According to the book I read "Conquering diabetes and prediabetes, visceral fat is a sign of both.

My wife would not recommend anyone following my advice or examples for marital bliss. Trust me, most times you would be better off doing the opposite of macdiver.

Yes indeed.

This mornings fasted reading was 112. Yesterday was a good day for low carbs. I did have some corn in the mixed vegetables but the package label lists 7 grams net per 2/3 cups and I might have had 2 servings at most so 14 net. Currently my goal is as low as possible but to have some carbs to reduce or avoid "carbs flu". After a week or so I am going to target 20 grams net. That should get my fasting blood sugar to below 90 after a few weeks that low.

I think I have figured out the Bluetooth issue with my meter. Last week my current phone updated to Oreo. This update included some additional security items related to Bluetooth. Evidently there is a "backdoor" that can be accessed on phones through Bluetooth. I tested my current phone with my speakers, earbuds, and Garmin and it works fine but it doesn't see the meter. I tried un-pairing and re-pairing but that didn't work. I got my old phone out and it sees the meter so I installed the app on it and it transferred the data. I can see my readings on my current phone since the app syncs to the cloud. My meter must not meet the security requirements of the new Android system so my current phone won't pair with it. At least I have a work around.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Interesting observation about certain types of fat yielding low caliper BF% readings. My caliper readings are far too low.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

My caliper BF has always been low too. I also find it interesting that my abs are almost visible as they should be per the caliper reading but the side view in the mirror never agreed with the reading. The Navy method and my appearance tend to agree. My scales reading is way off. It puts me below 10% pre shower and over 20% post shower. It must have something to do with the moisture being absorbed by my feet.

Yesterday was our annual 401K meeting with the company that manages it. They always bring someone from Fidelity to give us a market overview (more below) and they provide lunch. One of our owners is a vegetarian so there normally is a salad when lunch is provided. Yesterday there was a nice vegetarian pasta dish along with sandwiches. A better option for the vegetarians in my office (I think there are 3) but this meant there wasn't a low carbs option. I had a sandwich. I decided not to remove the meat from the bread but I did think about it.

We normally do the 401K in July but it got rescheduled to September since we went to Fridays off in July. The normal guy wasn't able to come but his boss came to give the presentation. The presentation is really meant for people in the business and not the layman. I'm sure Seltzer would like it. I'm not sure why but the presentation is "regulated" and can not be altered to suit the audience. The normal guy does a good job of presenting the information but I never walk away knowing how any of it applies to my investment decisions. This guy was good at explaining at how we should be setting up our portfolio for the next few years based on what they are seeing now.

Fasted blood sugar was 98 this morning. Based on yesterdays consumption of carbs and the fact that I am not in Ketosis yet I was surprised to see this drop below 100.

Whew,

My surface crashed :curses: and this post disappeared but JSF saved it. I can't find it on the surface but it is here on my phone. I don't have to start over :dance:

I brought my straps with me. I'm going to do some strength training with them shortly.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

In the company I work for, relatively few people participate in the 401K. Everyone (regardless of their salary), says they can't afford it. My question is, if you can't afford it now, what are your plans when you are not getting a salary? The employment market for age 60+ is not so rosy for most. It is a big mistake not to participate, unless you are a public employee and have a good pension.

Ever think of trying intermittent fasting for the pre-diabetes? Supposed to improve insulin resistance.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Shamie, I completely agree with you. For whatever reasons there is a substantial amount of financial illiteracy and at a minimum I think most people would be better served by having to opt out of a company sponsored savings program, especially if there is any matching, than having to opt in. I'll stop here before I get myself in a lather and jump on my soap box. :D

Mac, the auto save feature that was part of the software upgrade was a major improvement.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Interestingly, most days I don't eat breakfast so I typically do a 16/8 IF cycle. I've read several articles discussing IF and Diabetes but they seem to vary on protocol 16/8 daily, or 2 days eating 1 fasting etc. One thing I noticed when I was testing after the various meals was my fasted blood sugar was often around 110. After eating a carbs based meal it would spike to over 140 and then usually drop below 100 at the two hour mark. I would then be under 100 for the next meal. The longer between meals the number would start to creep up. The articles I've read regarding Ketosis and diabetes suggest that after 2 to 3 days in Ketosis my fasted blood sugar should be below 90. As I am adjusting my diet for Ketosis I have decided to stop IF and eat a breakfast. This should help me get additional calories so that I can maintain my current weight.