1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

As predicted no exercise this morning. Tomorrow was to be a lifting day but I will run. I need to get more miles in. I need to make running my priority. On Friday my plan is to drive to a bike path and get some gravel miles in under my feet.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

You mean it's not? I thought JSF was the acronym for John Stone Food. :rolleyes:

If the timing was a little bit different you plane would have passed the plane that dear daughter and her boyfriend were on as they were coming East from SF.

Wishing you well with the project presentation.

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks.

I forgot that you mentioned they were in SF. Hope they had a good time.

I don't know if it is jet lag or that we we re out late last night for a wine dinner but I am beat this morning so no running for me today.

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What is a wine dinner? Is there any food involved, or more like a wine tasting?

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

A wine dinner is a multi course meal where each course is paired with a wine (sometimes more than one). This dinner was 5 courses with 5 wines. You only get a few ounces of wine so that by the end of the meal you have had a total of 2 or 3 glasses and are capable of driving legally.

I have uploaded the menu. You may need to zoom in to read it.

It was raining this morning so I pushed my run back. When I went out at 1:00 it was extremely humid. I almost stopped after the first 1/2 mile but I hung in there for all 3 miles. My neighbor saw me and asked "why are you doing this?". I responded "I don't know". Him. " You DON'T know?" To which I responded " Well, it's because I eat and drink WAY TOO much. He laughed.

3 miles in 28 minutes

Attached Files:

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

During my short run yesterday I could tell my legs were tired. Today I had planned a 10 mile run. I decided to bike instead. A 10 mile run would take me 100 minutes at my training pace of 10 minutes per mile. I decided to ride for 90 to 100 minutes while keeping my HR above 130. The total ended up at 1 hr 32 minutes, 23.5 miles, avg speed 15.3 mph, avg HR 131 with a max of 150.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice ride.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks,

Today was a nice leisurely bike ride with the wife. We did the Bordentown to Trenton bike path again. I didn't wear my garmin so no data. We went further into Trenton past the ballpark today so I'm thinking it was 12+ miles. Pace was probably around 8 mph. That is a pace my wife is comfortable at.

After lunch I took the dogs to one of the nearby parks for a walk on the trails. It is pretty nice today. Not nearly as humid as it has been over the last few days.

I'v been doing more thinking and reading about diabetes and prediabetes. This past week when I was in California, the client we visited used to work with me (at the company I'm still with) over 20 years ago. I knew he had had a heart attack this past April. What I didn't know was that he was an "undiagnosed" diabetic. His cardiologist thinks that was a major contributor. His weight and cholesterol was normal but his HDL was below 40 which makes it easy to be below 200 total. I put undiagnosed in quotes because he went back and checked his previous blood work and the tests had showed a steady march towards diabetes over 3 - 4 years with the last one being full on diabetes yet his doctor wasn't concerned because he was a normal weight and exercised. Now he is on a low carb diet. He is on a drug but the new doctor hopes to get him off it with diet.

Hearing this spurred me to do something. Rather than try to eat healthier and wait and see, I am ordering a blood sugar testing kit. Several of the websites I have been reading recommends testing several days early morning (fasted) then after different meals at 1 hour and 2 hours. It also recommends eating a high sugar treat (75 grams if i recall) after fasting and testing at 1 and 2 hours. All of this data then gets used to modify the diet. At a prediabetes stage, I probably won't have to go keto but will have to be aware of different foods affecting my blood sugar. The goal is below 90 fasted and with no spikes above 140 at 1 hour and 2 hour post meal. Most of the websites are recommending Keto (20 net or less) or low carb (50 to 80 grams net) to control diabetes without medicine. I want to get this under control and will go that low if needed.

I'm hoping PDude will get a chance to read this and comment as I know he has had specific training in diabetes management. I also now he is working several jobs and has limited spare time.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Bummer about your former co-worker having to go through what he is due to what should have been an easily caught trend.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

About the testing of the blood, you might want to first see your doctor, and get a prescription. If your glucose level was over 100+, that should not be a problem. While the machine isn't expensive, the testing strips are.

I actually was thinking of doing the same, if when I go to the doctor on 8/28 for the blood test, if the glucose is still elevated.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

I am in the Catskills this week. I'm staying at a local type ski lodge. While the room is nice it is odd. It is on the second floor over the stairs. The town is a small town that is empty in the summer. Last night most restaurants were closed including the Mexican restaurant in the hotel. After dinner with the clients, I wanted a drink. I asked the front desk where I could go for a drink since the hotel restaurant was closed. Her words were "I don't know. It is after ten and we don't drink after 10 up here. I think everyone is closed now.". :surrender:

I went to the fitness room and used the dumbbells for a work out this morning.

#3211 macdiver, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Shamie, I found a tester and strips on amazon. for 100 strips it was just under $20 which would be .20 a test. Once I am done adjusting my diet and have my glucose under control, I won't be testing too often, just enough to verify that I am where I went to be.

Yesterday afternoon I had a 3 hr 45 min drive home. I hit heavy traffic on the Parkway. Once home I unpacked and repacked, loaded both cars with stuff, ate then drove 2 1/2 hours to Rehoboth. We have no more rentals this summer so we are using the condo and had a lot of stuff to bring down.

I am about to walk the dogs again then head out for a run.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Thank you. Once you start using it, let me know if you like it, and it works well.

I would think that the week before Labor Day weekend would be a good rental period. Did you not want to rent it out during that week, or is the market different down there?

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

My agent thinks that the rental market has too much capacity. They have been building a lot of new townhouses and houses down here that have added too much rental properties. She says the number of people renting here are about the same but places aren't fully booked. This is the first year we weren't fully booked for July and August.

I'll let you know what I think of the glucose test system. I think everything came while I was away so I'll start testing this week.

Today was a 3.25 mile run in 31:44 for an average pace of 9:47. I ran on the bike oath to start getting my feet ready. Some sections we're pretty rough and forced me to slow way down to 11 or 12 min pace and others sections we're nice and I had to limit myself to a 9 minute pace because I didn't want to go faster. I wanted it to be an easy run day.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

I had planned to run yesterday but my wife needed a few things at the store so we walked the dogs to the store. I stayed outside with the dogs while she went in.

This morning I ran 5 miles in 45:18. There was a race on the boardwalk with it's finish line at the bandstand area. I rerouted part of my normal route to avoid crossing the finish line. I think it was a triathlon as the participants all had the numbers marked on their left arm as well as the bib. The run portion was a 5k.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Last night by was yoga. The class was back to being full. We had to stagger so that we wouldn't hit the person next to us.

My glucose test kit stuff arrived. I did my first test this morning. It was a fasting test. I will be skipping my protein shake this morning. I will test right before lunch today then 1 and 2 hours post lunch. I will also test pre-dinner and post dinner on the same schedule. Tomorrow I will have my shake and test all 3 meals. After a few days of that I will test specific meals to see how different meals affect my blood sugar. This Friday I will do a sugar test where I eat a certain amount of sugar after fasting. From all this data I should see what I need to eliminate.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You are pretty serious about this. Good for you.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm taking this seriously since both of my parents were diabetics and it is what my Mom died from and most likely contributed to my Dad's death. They both died in their late 60's / early 70's. Too young. I'm trying to be different. I thought exercise and a somewhat healthy diet which kept me thin would be enough but evidently not.

I'm also doing the testing because I want to know what works. Like you I love potatoes and don't want to give them up if I don't have to (more on that below).

I've been testing since Tuesday. I will list all of the results and meals below. It will be a little clunky since I don't feel like creating a table.

Tuesday:

6:30 am fasted: 118
    12:34 am fasted & pre-lunch: 82
    Lunch: Cheeseburger with mayo & mustard on a hamburger roll, hotdog with ketchup and mustard on hotdog roll
    Post lunch 1:42 pm 136; 2:42 84
    7:15 predinner: 90. (I had a cupcake around 3:00 pm which may explain why it is higher than the last test.)
    Dinner: Grilled pork chop, asparagus, and a very large portion of mixed veggies includes corn.
    Post Dinner: 8:29 99. I didn't do the 2 hour test as my 1 hour test was not high.

Wed:
    5:43 fasted: 101
    I didn't test lunch. My next test was at dinner.
    Pre-dinner: 7:23 pm 81
    Dinner was BBQ chicken, corn on the cob with butter, and a baked potato with butter
    Post dinner 8:51 pm 155; 9:52 pm 111. The potato probably drove this high as I had a similar amount of corn the night before.

Thursday
    6:06 am fasted 105
    breakfast 2 scoops protein powder, a handful of fresh spinach & kale, a cup of frozen berries blended in water
    8:09 am 104 (1 hour after the shake. I didn't test immediately before the shake. My reading at 7 may have been lower than the 6 am reading).
    12:39 before lunch 79
    Lunch Roast beef sandwich on white bread with mayo & mustard and the puffy type of Cheetos (as opposed to the crunchy type)
    1:51 PM 114. I didn't do the 2 hour test as I was busy at work. Also I thought this reading would be higher due to the Cheetos.
    Pre-dinner: 6:52 pm 91
    Dinner: Medium Beef & Cheddar, curly fries, and full sugar, medium coke from Arby's.
    Post dinner 8:07 pm 155; 9:39 pm 104 (I had to stop at a gas station on my way to Rehoboth to do the 8:10 test. I waited until I got to Rehoboth so the 9:10 test was a little late).

Friday.

Prebreakfast: 9:31 AM 90 I did not test immediately after waking at 6 am.
    Breakfast, 2 chicken sausage links made with white wine and herbs per the package and 2 eggs over easy.
    Post breakfast: 10:34 am 82

Analysis:

The fasted early morning readings should be below 90 or 100 depending on the source. My readings confirm the diagnosis of prediabetes. Again depending on the source, a post meal test should be below 130 or 140. My low carb meals achieved that but the high carb meals did not. Two of the high carb meals hit 155.

I will be trying low carb and will see if over a few weeks my morning readings get into the proper range. Also low carb should reduce the peaks above 130.

I chose to not exercise this week so that it didn't interfere with the test results. (That's my story and I am sticking to it.)

#3218 macdiver, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  19. macdiver

Bronze Member

A couple more test results from yesterday. For lunch I had pan seared salmon and a large salad with a white balsamic dressing. I didn't test after lunch. In the afternoon I had some wine both before and during cooking dinner. I tested before dinner and was a 78 so the wine had no effect on my blood sugar. Dinner was BBQ chicken drumsticks and steamed broccoli & cauliflower mix. Some friends from Pa are down for vacation and they asked me to meet them for ice cream. So I walked over for ice cream then tested my blood sugar when I got back home. It was probable 30 minutes or so after the ice cream and 2 hours after dinner. My reading was 101. I probably should have waited a little longer to see the peak after the ice cream. Anyways it would good to see that red wine has a minimum impact on my blood sugar.

No testing today. My fingers are sore from all of the blood letting.

UPDATE:

I went for a 5 mile run this morning. I was bored with my usual route so I took a different route which I figured would be about 5 miles. Around the 4 1/2 mile point I was probably about 1/2 mile from home. I was feeling really good so I turned right to add on a few more miles including 1/2 mile or so of gravel. This was tough as it was around mile 6 that I hit the gravel path and the feet were tired. I slowed to about a 10:30 pace on that section.

Total was 7.11 miles in 1:08:26.

#3219 macdiver, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Very nice run and hopefully you're testing will continue to produce additional insights into how your body reacts to certain foods and beverages.