1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good job on getting it down from 270 to 220. How did you accomplish that?

Meeting you (you are thin), you would be the last person who I would think would either have cholesterol or diabetes issues. But I guess you never know.

People with your high HDL score usually don't have heart attacks. But I am not a doctor (I just play one on the internet) . :)

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

I believe that stress was why my cholesterol was high at the last test. That was during the negotiations with my client to get more funding and while I was traveling to the west coast every other week. Both were quite stressful on me. My diet and exercise hasn't really changed to bring it back to "my normal". The only change has been less stress.

I exercise and try to maintain a healthy weight because both of my parents were type 2 diabetics. I believe genetics is not on my side so I have to be vigilant.

Tonight was yoga. Tomorrow I WILL run for 45 minutes.

3. macdiver

This morning I ran 4 miles in 46 minutes. I was able to use the Heart rate strap. I was below 130 for the first half then went above 130 for the second half even though my speed stayed about the same.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nicely done doing the run.

5. macdiver

Thanks

This morning was a 3 x 5 of squats, bench, bb row, Calf raises (3 x 15), and OHP. Not the routine I have programmed into my watch so I couldn't use it to track the workout this morning.

6. macdiver

This popped up in my you tube feed. Very timely and interesting.

7. macdiver

Hmm, I thought I posted my run this morning. It was 4 miles, 43 minutes. I ran on the busy road today. Amazing how many cars drive on the shoulder and are surprised to see a runner. I had to move into the grass a few times so I wouldn't get hit.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Dangerous stuff. Was it during rush hour? Broadly, I find that drivers, even on local roads, are more aggressive during their respective morning commutes.

9. macdiver

Yes it was the morning commute to the local military base. It wasn't aggression just people not paying attention. The shoulder is very narrow so if the tires cross the white line they are essentially taking the entire shoulder. I could tell the people would drift over and if they saw me would jerk the wheel hard to the left. If they were too busy with checking twitter, they wouldn't swerve back. :scared:

this morning was squats benches and rows.

10. macdiver

Today was 6.6 miles in 1:04:30. Average Heart Rate was 151. A little higher than my target buy my pace was faster too. It felt good so I didn't slow down.

I went online and checked my previous A1C and fasted glucose levels for the last few years. It was 5.5 for A1c and in the 90s for fasted glucose. 5.6 is the upper end of normal and I was 5.7 this time. 99 is the upper end of normal for glucose and I was 108. I've decided not to do anything drastic so I won't be going extremely low carb and high fat. I will eliminate most of the junk from my diet. I do eat too much candy, chips, and crap like that. My doctor wants to retest in 6 months. If I am back into the normal range with this adjustment than it worked. If not, then I will reconsider my options.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Feeling good is a nice reason not to slow down. Sounds like a good plan for your potential pre-diabetes issue.

I

12. macdiver

Thanks

The wife decided not to do it Sunday bike ride so today exercise will be taking the dogs to the park for a walk soon.

This weekend is our entertaining weekend. We had friends over for dinner last night. The menu was salmon roulades, sausage grillers, and cantaloupe with prisciutto for appetizers; caprese salad; Beer can chicken with dirty bird rub, grilled zucchini and squash, and homemade potato salad for dinner; and a homemade ice box cake. The cake is chocolate mousse layered between Tate's chocolate chip cookies.

Tonight are different friends over for dinner. We will be having a shrimp salad served in cucumber and the salmon roulades for appetizers; caprese salad; cowboy steaks, smashed potatoes, and a corn tomato mint salad for dinner. Desert will be grilled peaches with homemade vanilla bean ice cream.

13. macdiver

Last night was fun but it was a listed night. Our friends didn't leave until midnight. I was the one who had to work today. I'm tired from two late nights in a row.

I will be going to Yoga after work tonight. I have a feeling it will be an early night

14. macdiver

I swore I had posted yesterday. Yesterday was 3 miles in 30 minutes.

Today was 5 miles in 50 minutes.

I will be changing my plan for the rest of the week. Originally the plan was 3 miles tomorrow, weights on Friday and 8 miles on Saturday. Sunday would be a rest day. However, the condo is not rented next week and we have no commitments this weekend so we are heading down Saturday morning to spend the weekend at the beach. My new plan will be weights tomorrow, 8 miles on Friday, rest Saturday and 5 miles on Sunday.

15. macdiver

This morning I did squats, bench, DB lunges, late pulldonw, calf raises, DB ohp, and cable row

I've been trying to find a marathon training plan to use. I'll probable just wing like I've down in the past though. I can't find one that has the flexibility that I like.

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Are you planning on running a marathon, and if so, which one?

17. macdiver

I'm planning on running the Rehoboth Beach Marathon on Dec 2. I have to register soon as the price goes up in August. The trick with this one is it can be cold by then.

This morning was 8 miles in 120 minutes. I got a late start so it was pretty warm by the end. This was the first time I carried water in a long time. I will need to start thinking about fuel as well. Fasted cardio is only good for an hour or so for me.

18. macdiver

Yesterday activity was mostly limited to walking the dogs. My wife and I did get out to walk on the boardwalk in between the rain.

I ran 3 miles on the boardwalk this morning at a nice easy pace. Total was 3.08 miles in 29:30 so just under a 10 minute pace. Now I can just sit on the beach and enjoy a nice day.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Lots of good running and, of course, cooking. :tucool:

20. macdiver

Thanks. I figured since you were on vacation someone should post their menu. It is a food website after all. :D

Yesterday was yoga. This morning instead of running I woke up at 3 am to drive to Newark airport to catch an early flight to California for a last minute sales presentation for a new project. So no running today or tomorrow.