1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Today's run was 4 miles in 38 minutes. I ran on the better road today. Since it is a holiday the traffic was light. Even so, I didn't wear headphones. I want to hear the cars coming for the short sections that I run with traffic. Normally I run facing traffic so I can make eye contact with the person trying to run me over. :curses:

Have a Great 4th of July.

Remember to keep an eye on your pets. More pets run away today than any other day due to being afraid of the fireworks. According to my vet she sees at least one dog a year who jumped through a sliding door or window trying to escape as well.

#3141 macdiver, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice run and thanks for the PSA. Enjoy the holiday!

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

The only reason I mentioned the pets was I spent 45 minutes last night looking for a neighbors dog that ran away when a different neighbor was setting off fireworks.

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning workout was something PT for the neck, some core work, and some calf stretching and strengthening.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was 5k in 28 minutes. I ran on the "bad" road. I figured I need to get used to it again. The Rehoboth marathon is on a gravel bike path for about 2/3 of the distance so bad pavement will be good training for the feet.

Tonight is another PT appointment. The new exercise seems to be working.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but we have been having the house renovated for the last 5 months or so. The renovations included new faux hard floors on the first floor to replace the old ceramic tile in the kitchen & foyer, and to replace the carpets. A new granite countertop to go with the cabinets we had refaced last year. A new pantry cabinet to replace the closet type pantry in the kitchen. All of downstairs got painted as well. The painters finished today. Just in time for my annual wine dinner in sunday. When we signed the contract in February I didn't think it would come down to the wire.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was 4 mile 38 minute run. This was followed by moving furniture back into place. Afterwords I went to yoga.

Now I'm off for shopping then I need to clean the house for tomorrow.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Did you like the way the work came out? You must be happy it is done.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Lots of house renovations; as Shamie wrote I hope you're happy with the results.

Nice run and consider the furniture moving functional exercise. :-)

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks. Overall we are happy though there were quite a few issues. We had used this contractor before and thought by paying his markup he would be on our side especially given the long term relationship. We would have been better off hiring each sub directly. Every issue was a fight to get it corrected. He told my wife she was being too picky. She sent him pictures and asked if he would like to see them posted as examples of his work. She would not let me talk with him. I do construction for a living. Residential contractors don't like dealing with me so I normally stay out of it. The one time I did ask him to meet me here to discuss the punch list before paying. When he heard punch list he decided he better deal with my wife.

We did cancel the painting with him and find our own painters. We still have the backsplash in the kitchen to do but will probably wait (see below).

My office finished two big jobs including the one I was on. We had landed a few other big jobs that were just getting started when the current president took office. The jobs were for European firms in the United States. By April, the jobs were cancelled. As of this week we are going to 4 days with the resultant 20% pay cut until we get busy again.

Saturday we went over to a friend's house and cooked him dinner while his wife was in NYC with her sisters. He paid us by serving some really good wines. We got home late, 11:30 ish.

I was up at 5 to get the brisket on the grill for last night's wine dinner. I think everyone enjoyed last night. We did 4 wine courses with 3 dishes. The first was 2 Chardonnays with a shrimp roll. The next course was a cheese plate served with a first pairing of a Pinot noir and a red Zin and a second pairing of two petite sirahs. The final course was the brisket with a grilled corn and tomato salad, and potato salad. The corn and tomatoes were from the farm across the street. This was paired with a Cab. All of the wines (except for one of the chards) was from the Frank Family Vineyards which was the theme of the wine dinner.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sorry to hear of your office problems. This company that I work went through a similar issue during the financial crisis and after. People were forced to take off every other Friday, and got a 10% reduction in pay. Hope business improves soon.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks. We have done this in the past as well. When business is good we get good bonuses when it is bad we share that too.

This morning was a 3 mile, 30 min run.

I saw the surgeon yesterday. Removing the lump is a 30 minutes office procedure. No anesthesia so I can drive myself. It is scheduled for this Friday.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Bummer about the contractor issues; we're in the process of hiring one to do a number of small-ish jobs and I'm not looking forward to it.

I hope the work situation turns around shortly and it was nice to read that your lump removal will be minimally invasive.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Hope your experience goes smoother than mine.

Today was squats, bench press, lunges, DB ohp, lat pulldowns, calf raises, and rows

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Man it is hot and humid out there. This morning was a 3 mile 28 minute run. It was 78 degrees at 7 am when I left the house for my run.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice job on getting the run done. Nasty weather for such an activity for sure!

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

Yes. The problem with fall marathons is you have to train in the heat. I'm sure the heat and humidity are not helping your breathing and running.

This morning I did 8 reps of the prep drill for my warm up followed by 3 x8 of squats, bench, DB lunges, lat pulldowns, calf raises, ohp, and close grip cable row.

I started this post in the waiting room to have my lumpectomy. They called me back before I finished the post. I lost part of it but it doesn't matter as now it is done. It went well but the lipoma was attached to the muscle pretty good so he had to keep giving me more local anesthesia as he cut it out. No running, gym or yoga for 24 to 48 hours. After that the restriction on lifting is does it hurt the shoulder. Should be back to normal soon.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How did the procedure go? Did they say anything if it will leave a scar, and was it painful. I ask, because I have the same thing right below my neck on my back. But I haven't done anything about it. It hasn't grown, so it hasn't bothered me.

I hope you have a good recovery.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Fall marathon in our part of the world means training in the heat and a spring one means training in the cold with possibly snow and ice. Pick your poison, right?

Sounds as if your surgery was a little more complicated than anticipated, but went well. Speedy and full recovery! Also, big kudos for getting a workout done before seeing the doctor. :tucool:

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'll pick training in the heat anytime. I hate the cold.

Yes surgery went fine. As noted, due to it being more attached to the muscle, it was a little more complicated. It wasn't really painful when he was doing the surgery. When he would hit a part that was not numb it felt like getting cut (which it was) and he would stop and add more local anesthesia. It is a little sore now but I am managing with just Ibuprofen. Shamie, I would see about getting it removed. The longer it is there the more attached it becomes.

Thanks for the well wishes.