1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

This morning was Workout A:

Squats: 30 x 5, 37.5 x 5, 42.5 x 5; 47.5 x 5,5,5
    OHP 20 x 5, 22.5 x 5, 25 x 5; 30 x 5,5,5
    Pullups 3,4,3
    Ab wheel rollout x 15

Pullups went down this week. My neck has been sore the last few days which I think contributedto the decline.

I weighed in this morning and took a caliper reading.

Weight 132.8 pounds ( 60.4 kg for reference to my lifting weights above)
    3 pt BF 12%

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow for routine stuff but I will be talking to her about my neck. It should be better by now. The chiropractor isn't too concerned but I am.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Sorry to read about your co-worker. And yes, cancer does suck!

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

The IT guy at my office lost his battle with cancer over the weekend. He had been fighting this for 4 or 5 years but it really became aggressive about 3 months ago. He was in his early 50's, I think only a year or two older than me. He started with my company in summer of 92 a few months before me. So while we never really hung out together I have worked with him just short of 25 years. CANCER SUCKS.

Sorry to read about your coworker. When it happens to someone approximately your age, it makes you think.

4. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

Thanks and yes it does make you think.

Not sure what happened but I didn't work out after Tuesday.

I did go to the doctor on Wednesday and she sent me for xrays for the neck. I am also getting an ultrasound on the left shoulder. I have fatty lipoma on it that is being checked out. She doesn't think the neck issue us related to the lump even though it is on the same side.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Ultrasound on the lipoma was fine. It is up to me if I want to get it removed. I may wait. I'm in no rush to have surgery. Had I not asked about having it removed then the doctor would not have said anything about it.

I went to Yoga Monday evening and this morning. At this mornings class, the instructor announced she is stopping the morning class for the summer. She will resume after Labor day. I was thinking of changing my routine a little for the next few months anyways so this will be the impetus. I will keep the Monday yoga. I haven't figured the rest out yet but it will involve lifting and running.

#3125 macdiver, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  6. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member
    Platinum Member

i've tried yoga several times but i can't get comfortable doing it. glad your lump was fine. :tu:

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Ultrasound on the lipoma was fine. It is up to me if I want to get it removed. I may wait. I'm in no rush to have surgery. Had I not asked about having it removed then the doctor would not have said anything about it.

I have the same thing right at the base of my neck. It sort of looks like a very small pancake. But it hasn't grown, which is a good thing. My doctor never suggested an ultrasound, or having it removed. It doesn't really bother me, so I wouldn't have it removed anyway.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice to read that the ultrasound turned out fine.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

I like Yoga for the meditation as much as the poses. Thanks re the lump

I had asked the doctor if my neck and shoulder issues are due to the lump and if I should get it removed. I think that is why she ordered neck x-rays and the ultrasound.

Thanks.

Today was a 5 mile 45 minute run. It was pretty warm out so I'm surprised I was able to maintain that pace.

This was my last run in Rehoboth until September. We have renters starting next weekend and are pretty much booked for the summer. The missing weeks will fill in.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was one of those frustrating days. I was suppose to get up early and head to work from Rehoboth as is normal for a Monday. Instead, a cable box in one of the bedrooms was not working. We only got cable for the rental season two weeks ago so this was a "new" box. It worked when the cable guy installed it two weeks ago. I took the morning off to go to the Comcast store to exchange the box. The plan was be there at 9 return to the condo install the box and leave no later than 10 so I could be at work in the afternoon. I get there at 9 and exchange the box. Get back to the condo and install it and it doesn't work. Now I'm thinking there is a problem with the receptacle. Nope. Try another TV that works. Nothing. Return to the store. They get another "new" box, plug it in at the store to test it and it doesn't work. The next one he tries works so I go home, install it and find out I have to call to activate it. By the time I leave, traffic is really heavy so the 5 mile trip to Lewes (that I did twice already going to the Comcast store) now takes a half hour. Needless to say by the time I got home it was too late to go to work so I took the afternoon off as well.

Tonight will be Yoga. The normal Monday pm instructor is on vacation so the Wednesday am instructor is teaching tonight. Should be a good class.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Frustrating morning for sure! Enjoy your yoga tonight.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

What a strange week this has been. I posted my Monday.

On Tuesday I had a PT appointment for my neck which required that I leave work at 4. At 3:45ish the president calls me in to her office. She asks if I can fly to Switzerland this week. She tells me that a coworker was to fly there on Monday but his appendix burst on Sunday. (he will be fine). I said OK. What else could I say. I then leave for my PT appointment. When I get in on Wed am there is an email with the info on two flights to Geneva, one on Wed and one on Thursday and the note to not book the flight until the client calls me Wed am. When He calls he tells me that they decided not to have me go to Switzerland. He works from the New Hampshire location but asks me to meet him at their Maryland location today. He tells me that the plant is just outside of Frederick Md and gives me the address.

I know the Frederick area because the girl I dated in college in California (and who I moved to the Philly area with) grew up on a farm just outside of Frederick. I wake up bright and early and drive down there this morning for a 9 am meeting. As I approach the turn that google maps is telling me to take I realize the plant is on the same road as the farm just a mile further up the road. I drove right by the farm.

So instead of going to Visp Switzerland which is in the Alps near the Matterhorn, I am just up the street from an ex girlfriend. I can't make this shit up. We are friends on Facebook so I sent her a note.

#3132 macdiver, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Great story. Also, I'm glad your co-worker is going to be okay.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

Other than yoga on Monday and my neck PT there has been no exercise.

In continuing the bizarre week, I got a call yesterday from my doctor. When she was completing the paperwork or whatever, she realized that the ultrasound did not state that the lump on my back is definitely a lipoma. She called the radiologist who read the ultrasound and he told her he can not tell if it is a Lipoma or a cyst. The difference is that Lipomas are not cancerous but a cyst may be. Since the diagnosis of it being a lipoma was not confirmed, she wants me to have it removed. Fortunately, the ultrasound does not show anything of concern so it most likely is benign but I will have it removed.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

I was hoping that by not exercising for a while and by doing PT, the neck would be better. :nope: I have a follow up appointment with the PT on Monday to see what I need to do to get better.

I was supposed to have an appointment with the surgeon today but ended up having to go to Maryland for a few days. I rescheduled for later in the month.

I will be going to yoga tomorrow morning.

Stealing from Seltzer:

Dinner tonight was Porterhouse steaks done on the Kamado using the reverse sear method, served with a baked potato and green peas.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Sorry to read that your neck issues aren't resolved yet.

That's one tasty meal and like you I'm a fan of reverse searing.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

After taking a few weeks off, I need to get back into working out. My plan will be similar to before. Monday - Yoga (except this week due to PT monday night), Tuesday run - starting at 30 minutes and building to 1 hour. Wed strenth training. I havent decided on a routine but have it narrowed down. Thursday run - see tuesday. Friday strength training. Saturday long run. I will be builidng my milage for a December 2 marathon. I will need to be at 20 miles before I leave for Spain. Then when I get back I have November to get back in shape. Sunday active rest day.

The above may be a repeat. The possible stumbling blocks are my job and the surgery. I'm thinking the surgery will be outpatient and will be minimum recovery.

18. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Hiya Mac
    Having same surgery, diagnosed as non-cancerous as well. Going to have removed as outpatient.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Good to know. Hope you recover quickly.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

Physical therapy tonight. He changed my exercises. Hopefully it helps. He said " in seven years I have never had to give someone this exercise because the other one always works". I responded, lucky me. I'm still not convinced that it is the lump though only the chiropractor thought it was a possibility.

Tomorrow is a run day.