1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Your story about your speed and your wife's reminded me of a winner of the NYC marathon once said - I don't know how the runners are able to run the marathon for 4-5 hours, he said he could never run for that long. :)

Congratulations on Non Smoking anniversary.

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congratulations! :spaz:

I had to look back through my journal to find my quit date since whomever made the iPhone app I used to track it stopped updating it years ago. It was 3/18/2009. Some days it seems odd to think that I ever smoked. Some days I walk past a smoker and want to yank the thing out of their hand and suck it down in one drag. :lol:

My wife asked me, in complete seriousness, "Do you know what it feels like to be in withdrawal?" the other night. :lol: :bang: :lol:

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thanks

Congrats on 8 years as well.

Nope, not at all. (sarcasm smiley)

The last few weeks have been a little stressful at work. For me this means I have no motivation to work out. It looks like my trips to California may be over. I was suppose to go out there this week but on Friday evening my client told me to cancel the trip. There are budget issues and they see this as one way to reduce cost. I also had to give a presentation at a Symposium last week. I was the first one to speak, I was solo, and I was told to plan on 45 minutes with an option to shorten it if they started late. Most of the other talks were two people and scheduled for 30 minutes. I got mostly positive feedback from the audience (mostly potential clients) between sessions.

I did make it to the Wed am Yoga class. There were 5 of us (plus the instructor). The one lady who works there who has been at every early morning class I have taken even when it is just the two of us. I wasn't sure if she was an instructor or not, two ladies I know are instructors and one lady I had not met previously. After one sequence of moves, the instructor says "wow, you are all pretty. That was beautiful to watch." Then adds "that includes you Mark". To which I laughed out loud then asked "Am I the only non instructor here?". The lady who works there responded that she isn't an instructor. She starts her instructor training in the next session. The lady I didn't know teaches at one of the other locations.

Sunday was International Barefoot Running Day, so I went to the Boardwalk and ran 3 miles at an easy pace.

#3083 macdiver, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Pretty boy Mark, how are your shoulders feeling lately?

There must be an international or national day for everything at this point. Tomorrow is:

Windmill Day
    Third Shift Workers' Day
    World Lupus Day
    Donate a Day's Wages to Charity Day
    Receptionists Day
    Mother Ocean Day
    Stay Up All Night Night

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

The pretty boy mark made me laugh. The neck has good days and bad days. The Chiropractor just thinks it is a case of tendonitis that I keep aggregating. I've decided to not let it stop me. Thanks for asking.

Ain't that the truth about a day for everything. IBRD is just a creation of the Barefoot running society and not officially recognized by civilization. :D

I decided on a routine for the next few months. It will be

Sunday active rest day
    Monday W1 Short Run / W2 evening Yoga
    Tuesday - Workout #1
    Wednesday - W1 Morning Yoga / W2 Speed Run
    Thursday - Run
    Friday - Workout 2
    Saturday Long run.

The week 1 and 2 variations are to allow me to take different yoga classes.

The workout is based on the following routine:

A Two Day A Week Introductory Program for Strength Training - Part 1 - All The Heavy Lifting

Tonight was

Squats 3 x 8 of 35 kg
    OHP 3 x 8 20 kg
    Pileups 3,2,3

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Sunday was International Barefoot Running Day, so I went to the Boardwalk and ran 3 miles at an easy pace.

June 7th is Global Running Day.

Is the California job almost complete?

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'll have to run on June 7th. The California job is getting close. They are working on the finishes now (floor, paint). The problem is that the equipment should have been delivered end of April though end of may. The equipment will now start arriving in September and should all be there by October.

I woke up and went to the morning yoga class. However, the substitute instructor did not. The irony is last week there were 3 instructors in the class of 5, this week no instructors in the class or leading it. So the class was cancelled. I went home and did a youtube yoga video.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

No run yesterday. In the morning I had no energy so I soaked in the hot tub instead of running. In the evening I was catching up on chores around the house now that I am home every week.

I am going to list my warm up sets and working sets so that it is easier for me to set up the next time. For most exercises it is 3 warm up sets and 3 working sets. Pullups and deadlift do not have warm up sets per this routine.

Squats: 20 kg x 5, 30 x 5, 35 x 5; 37.5 x 5,5,5
    Bench: 20 kg x 5, 25 x 5,5; 30 x 5,5,5
    Deadlift: 50 kg x 5,5,5

That's all folks.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

It is raining fairly hard here so no running today. I will make it up tomorrow morning and do a bike ride with my wife in the afternoon.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

After all the rain yesterday, it is beautiful here today. I went for a run on the boardwalk. I did two passes so 4 miles in 36 minutes. It is funny how starting off at a slower pace for the first half mile means having to run at a 8:30 pace for the last mile to average a 9 min pace.

Update:

It is such a beautiful day here that we decided to skip the bike ride to take the opportunity to go spend some time sitting in the sand (on chairs) on the beach.

#3090 macdiver, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
  11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Monday evening I went to Yoga. This is the hard class. I was sweating at the end. The focus last night was hamstrings so a lot of slit type things. Of course I can't do a full split but I was amazed that about half of the women there could. The male instructor could not do a full split either.

This morning was Workout A:

Squats: 20 x 5, 30 x 5, 35 x 5; 3 x5 of 40 kg
    OHP 20 x 5, 20 x 5, 20 x 5; 3 x 5 22.5 kg
    Pullups 3,3,3

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning was a 3 mile run. I ran on the busy road since my feet are not ready for the bad road which has less traffic.

. :D. Sorry I couldn't resist. I have been wearing my 920 to track steps and sleep. Monday night I broke the strap while sleeping. Not sure how that happened. In some ways it was nice to just run at a pace based on how it felt.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

I decided to test the feet on the bad road. It served two purpose, one to help toughen my feet and two to see how bad the road faired over winter. It is in really bad shape. Another year or two it will be a gravel road. When we moved here in May of 99 this road must have just been paved because it was so smooth I would rollerblade on it at my top speed. Now, one of my neighbors said that the local bike club has listed it as a "do not ride" because the cracks are large enough to catch a tire.

Anyways, I kept the run slow and short since toughening the feet is a combination of distance and speed. I did two miles in 20 minutes or so.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

This mornings workout:

Squats: 20 kg x 5, 30 x 5, 35 x 5; 40 x 5,5,5
    Bench: 20 kg x 5, 25 x 5,5; 32.5 x 5,5,5
    Deadlift: 55 kg x 5
    I had written a paragraph about a new app for my Garmin that this POS surface RT overwrite. I don't have time to rewrite it. Maybe at lunch

Update:

I found an app for my Garmin 920xt that allows me to use it for weight lifting. You create the workout on the website and download it to the watch. It tracks multiple exercises and sets. You set the weight and reps on the website. It then leads you through the workout using the lap button to end a set and start a rest period. My only complaint so far is that on Garmin Connect it just shows that I did Workout A for 30 minutes but doesn't give the exercises, sets, reps and weight. This is a Garmin issue though per the app developer. It also has a calendar feature that would allow me to schedule my workouts. I haven't tried this yet. It was $8 for one year and I have 30 days to request a full refund if I don't like it.

#3094 macdiver, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  15. macdiver

Bronze Member

This morning I did a 5 mile run in 46:49 for an average pace of 9:21. My one mile splits we're 9:58, 9:00, 9:06, 9:20, 9:22. Except for the first mile I was trying to maintain a 9:00 min pace. The difference is stopping for lights or crossing the highway and dodging shoppers at the annual sidewalk sale downtown. I didn't remember that the sidewalk sale was today. I ended up running in the street which had it's own challenge of watching for cars backing out of parking spaces or pulling into a space.

My watch band came yesterday. It included the tools to replace the band. I didn't realize it was a screw type fitting not the standard spring type fitting.

I can't access the settings menu from the watch to turn on step tracking or other settings. I had to connect the watch to my computer to change settings. It had done a software update last week so I don't know if this was due to the update or the weight lifting app I installed. I should check garmin website to see if others are having the same issue.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Very nice run!

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Any plans for a fall 1/2 marathon or marathon?

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks

I was thinking of doing a marathon this fall but we decided to go to Spain for two weeks in October which would be peak training time. There is a half / full here in Rehoboth the first weekend in December that I might consider doing the half.

Today was an active rest day. We took the dogs for a nice walk downtown. That walk, the normal dog walking, and doing some errands and chores has me at 17950 steps for the day. I think that qualifies as an active rest day.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

This week I have a few modifications to my workout schedule. Due to the yoga class that was cancelled a few weeks back, I have two classes to use by Friday. So I am doing both the Monday evening and Wednesday am class this week. On Friday I will be in Rehoboth so my Friday workout will use the straps. Next Monday I will be in Rehoboth as well so I will run on Monday and fo the Wed am class. We will be driving home on Tuesday am so my Tuesday workout will be in the evening.

Tonight I went to the Monday class. Tonight was more poses using balance so I was fine unlike the hamstring class last week.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yeah, almosts 18,000 steps is an active rest day. Nicely done!

Where in Spain are you planning to go?