1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Remind me to remind you to tell me about your St. Lucia story sometime.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Yesterday, I didn't come home at lunch. Since I was at the office and had brought my lunch, I went for a walk with the walkers. According to the one persons fitbit, or whichever device he uses, we did 10,000 steps.

I have some dishes to do when I'm done with my coffee. Then I will be heading out for a run. According to my watch it is below freezing outside so shoes will be worn.

Update: 3 miles in 28:17 minutes with an average pace of 9:25. I didn't wear my chest strap because I really don't want to know how out of shape I am. I could tell from my breathing that my heart rate was high.

#2982 macdiver, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :eek: Is freezing really the dividing line between you wearing shoes or not? :confused:

Do you run on the beach? :confused:

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Update: 3 miles in 28:17 minutes with an average pace of 9:25. I didn't wear my chest strap because I really don't want to know how out of shape I am. I could tell from my breathing that my heart rate was high.

Judging by your time, your out of shape is not so out of shape.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

True dat! All of you are so much faster than I am.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll have to remember to remind Seltzer to remind Prude to remind me to remind him to tell me his St. Lucia story. :D

40ish is my cutoff for shoes. If I have done several runs in the low 40's I can push it into the high 30's.

I do run on the beach some. The Delaware beaches are sloped too much so I don't run there often. I prefer flatter beaches.

Thanks Seltzer and Shamie about the run. I have run 24 min 5K's in the last few years and felt good doing it. Today I was panting hard the whole time.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I knew the last two days would be tough to get a real workout in. My exercise was essentially walking around with our luggage. I don't use a suitcase with wheels. We flew to the island in Saturday and stayed at a hotel only accessible by boat Saturday night. Yesterday we transferred to the resort we will be at for a week.

This morning I went to the gym and was surprised that they had a squat rack. So I did a 3 x8 routine of squats, bench press, BB row and overhead press.

For me to earn a green mark for the last two days, I will need to work out every day I am here.

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good time to be away, very cold yesterday and today. Kudo's on working out on your vacation. Enjoy.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Squats on vacation! :ohnoes: Enjoy your time away.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

My legs weren't too bad after the squats but they are now. More on that later.

Yesterday I took a hobie catamaran out by myself. My wife wouldn't go until she took a lesson. She was under the impression that the lesson would be more than 10 minutes of instruction. I had fun but ended up capsizing and they had to come out and flip the boat back upright. Good thing the wife was on shore. She took the lesson later in the day.

This hotel only has wifi in the lobby and the "evening" lounge where the nightly activities are. I was down playing on my phone when the band started. They were fun so I went and got the wife and we stayed out to 11 pm. I was up at 6:30 so almost 8 hours of sleep.

This morning I ran. 3 miles 31 minutes. Our resort is on a hillside. I looped around the upper side then dropped down to the beach. I would then have to run up a stairway to get back to where I started. Each lap was about 0.7 miles. I barely made it up the stairs the 3rd time so I changed directions on the final lap and went down the stairs. I added a little on the end to make a full 3 miles. The stairs fried my thighs.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

So I am going to start with a plug for my wireless plan, Project Fi. As I mentioned yesterday this hotel only has free wifi in the lobby and main entertainment area. With project fi there is no additional charge for data when out of the US. You pay the same $10 per GB as you do in the US. In the room I have been using the local 4g and have not noticed any difference in speed. The phones also work internationally without doing anything. Texts are free and calls are 20 cents per minute. Not bad really.

As a side note to JAER, I received the notice a few weeks back that once you hit 30 days on project fi we will both get the $20 credit. That will pay for any data I am using on this trip. Thank you.

Now to exercise. I woke up to very sore legs. Walking down to the beach to reserve our chairs, I could really feel it in my shins. Not shin splints but "wholly hell, I didn't know I had muscles there" kind of way.

That said, I went to the gym and did Deadlifts, BB bench, BB rows, and DB curl and press.

Another day in paradise.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Another day in paradise.[/QUOTE]

How is the food there? Beaches must be really nice.

What you wrote about the phone, I read that, that is why the phone is popular with frequent overseas travelers.

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

I was up late last night. Really late. However I woke up and ran this morning. 1.75 miles 19 minutes. It wasn't so much the late night as it was the sore legs that got me to keep the run short.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

I went to the gym this morning. The squat rack was in use so I used the dumbbells. I did lunges, bench press, single leg dead lifts, DB rows, and ohp

15. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

We have different definitions for weak, out of shape, and lazy here at STF. :lol:

Possible for over ate and junk food as well.

You are quite welcome!

So far, we're quite happy with it. Our phones work better in the house now that they use our wifi instead of cellular service for calls. We both really like the new phones, and out bill should be super cheap.

Jaer
    just isn't a big data user. He's often in places with wifi.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Today I ran 3.1 miles (5 k) in 30:30. Today I would run one loop clockwise up the steps then reverse direction to walk down the steps and around the complex counterclockwise. I ran a total of four laps. I added a little to the laps so that now each lap is just over 0.8 miles. I had to walk down the steps as it was raining and they were slippery. Somehow they didn't seem as slippery going up. I also had to walk another section of marble tile that was very slippery. Overall a good run even though it was raining for most of it.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Given your walking, that's a very nice run.

18. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like your vacation was a good one. Welcome back to a week of cruddy weather in the northeast!

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

We actually don't leave the island until tomorrow. We fly to Miami then from there We are scheduled to land in Philly at 11:30 pm just as the storm arrives. Is this the second year in a row I have to extend my vacation?

I went to the gym and did DB lunges, DB bench, single arm cable crossovers and DB shrugs

20. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    The news was saying last night that the airport was already making arrangements for cancelled/diverted flights etc.