1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

My wife and I are heading to another Yoga class. Today is "Calm and Strong" where you tend told hold the poses longer. Yesterday was a "flow" class where you move more from pose to pose. I prefer flow.

This is class number 4 this month for me so I won't be able to do yoga until it renews on the 25th.

Yoga was great today. It is 70 and sunny so the yogi moved the practice outdoors which was awesome.

#2961 macdiver, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd love to try vinyasa yoga outdoors sometime. Seems like it'd be great. :nod:

My wife still hasn't redeemed the 10-day pass I gave her for the local studio. :blank:

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

The only other time I did yoga outside was last year at the summer solstice that was also a full moon. My wife and I did a yoga class on the beach in Dewey Beach as the moon rose out of the ocean.

Today was my colonoscopy that I had put off due to traveling. The prep wasn't as bad as I feared. He did find a small polyp that he removed. He wasn't worried about it but wants to see me in 5 years not 10.

He also said that I need to eat more fiber. I knew this but was surprised that he could tell from the procedure.

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :dreamy:

Well that escalated quickly. :eek: :no:

He's been places and seen things that a man cannot un-see. :scared:

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Congratulations on getting that test over with. Like you said, it is not as bad as you expect it to be. All of a sudden are unconscious, and the next thing you know, it is over.

He's been places and seen things that a man cannot un-see.

I sometimes think, that is an odd specialty for a doctor to voluntarily choose. I wonder does it pay a lot more than other types of specialties, or do the people who can't succeed at other types of areas of medicine end up there.:confused: But regardless of why they chose it, they save lives, and that is the important thing.

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Sorry, I should have posted a warning or mentioned the prep on monday.

My guess is most of the gastroenterologist either have gastro issues or have family that have / had gastro issues and they choose this to make a difference.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I was thinking of running the coastal Delaware half marathon again this year. However, around Christmas my wife mentioned wanting to try a bike ride this spring. There is a ride in April in Bethany that is either 100, 50, or 36 miles. The 36 mile ride has a 27 mile bailout option. I registered us both for this ride last night. I think this is the weekend before the run so I may still do the run or I might not. For me this will be an easy pace ride as I will be expected to stay with my wife. My wife will probably chose to do the bailout option.

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    One time I had a very pleasant ride on a 10-speed from Henelopen Acres down Rte. 1 to the Indian River Inlet. At which point I realized that all the sea grass was bending due south and that I'd had a hell of a tailwind the whole way down.

The ride back was a bitch. :cry:

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Went for a 4 mile run along a bike path in the Abbott Marshlands between Bordentown and Trenton. My wife rode her bike and did 8 Mike's.

The weather was perfect in the mid to upper 60's.

My pace was not perfect. I had to take several walk breaks. Oh well, I got out and ran.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yep, you got out there. Good! I assume the "Mike's" in your post was spell corrected for what should have been miles. Unless she drank 8 bottles of Mike's Hard Lemonade. :D

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

I have had that experience both running and biking on that same road. Somehow heading south I never realize there is a tailwind. :bang:

Yes, miles not Mikes. You came up with a much more benign definition of "Doing 8 Mikes" than I might have. :)

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

As usual, I've been floundering lately. One thing that worked for me in the past was having a paper calendar and marking off the days I do something. The electronic version didn't work for me. I will start this tomorrow, March 1st. My rule will be that I get to cross off in green for working out, running, or yoga. On recovery days, I get a green mark for any activity such as walking the dog, walking to dinner, leisurely bike ride, etc.

Tomorrow am is yoga. Thursday I will be restarting the TRX program I was doing before. First hurdle will be vacation next week.

13. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    You can do this. Make it so. :zen:

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Huge fan of this. I've got a year's worth of cross-out calendars taped on the wall near my power rack. January and February solid X's so far. TimeAndDate.com for the win.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

If it works it works! I love the inclusion of walking to dinner. ** :D

Where are you going on vacation. Something tells me it will not be SF.

** I sort of did the same thing when I walked to meet a friend for breakfast this morning.

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

I will be going to St. Lucia. We leave on Saturday and return on 3/13.

I included the "walk to dinner" to try and encourage myself to do it. In Rehoboth, it would be a mile to 1 1/2" mile walk each way which would be respectable while not cancelling out the calories.

Mar 1st, day 1. Yoga class. Done.

I looked back and saw that I was on week 5 of the TRX program I was using. I was thinking of dropping back a week or two but then I saw that week 5 was the first week of multiple sets. The first four weeks were really to learn the exercises. So I am going to start on week 5. I will be taking my straps on vacation next week.

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

March 2, Day 2:. 2 sets of basic training. 30 second rest between sets

Squat Series 30 secs
    Sprinters Start Series 30 secs
    Hamstring Series 30 secs
    Row Series 30 secs
    Chest Press Series 30 secs
    Deltoid Fly Series 30 secs
    Roll-Out Series 30 secs
    Plank Series 30 secs

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Have a great vacation.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Enjoy your vacation!

20. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Have a great time... remind me to tell you my St. Lucia story sometime. :madpimp: