1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

macdiver stops being a couch potato

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by macdiver, Mar 25, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Well,

I'm not known for my witty humor so don't expect much more than straight facts.

I'm going to post frequently enough to track my progress. I'm going to try to post weekly.

Personal goals are:

Bench 1.5 body weight
    Squat 1.5 body weight
    Run for 30 minutes
    Loose the belly fat that I put on after I quit smoking 4/09. (gained 20 pounds in 10 months and I look 4 months pregnant).

Weights and fat % based on homedics scale model SC-540.

starting weight on 3/2/10 137.8, fat 19.7%

weight on 3/25 : 130.6 fat 17.6%

Tue.: 3/23: Weight lifting

Barbell complexes - squat, press, dead lift / power clean 55 lbs
    db bench press 55 lb. (27.5 each)

Thu. 3/25: weigh lifting

BB complexes 60 lbs
    db bp 60 lbs (30 each)

Cardio:

Started this evening 3/25/10. Was planning on starting tomorrow but wx forecast is rain. Walked the dog 1 mile as warm up ( he stops and sniffs a lot). Walked 1 mile but did not time it.

#1 macdiver, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. macdiver

Bronze Member

journal

Sat: 3/27

BB complexes 60 lbs
    DB benches 60 lbs

I will increase by 5 lbs on Monday.
    Changing my routine slightly. M,W,F will be weights, T,THu,S will be cardio. We will be at our shore condo on the weekends for the next couple of months (unless someone rents it) so it will be easier to do cardio on Saturdays. I don't have access to weights at the shore.

Since my last (and firsts) cardio session was thu evening, I am heading out now for my walk (plan on 2 miles).

3. macdiver

Bronze Member

Mon 3/29 65 lb bb squats, press, deadlift
    65 lb db benchpress
    Tue: Cardio cancelled due to monsoon and local flooding
    Wed: 65 lb bb squats, press, powercleans
    Thu: Cardio 2 mile walk, jogged a little afterwards
    Fri: Strength training cancelled due to being down the shore for easter weekend (drove down thursday night after work). Fourteen mile bike ride RB to Lewes and back plus sightseeing.
    Sat: Two mile walk with dog and wife (easy pace)
    Sun: Easter sunday Ate way too much good food and drank too little good wine (had to drive home)

Mon: 4/5 70 lb bb squat, press, deadlift. May have to break out presses (just making 5 reps on presses)
    70 lb db benchpress. need to watch form it was starting to break down on last set
    Weight on 4/5/10: 131.0 lbs , 17/1% bf.

#3 macdiver, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  4. macdiver

Bronze Member

I started a fitday account to track calories eaten and burned. I'm not sure how accurate it is. It seems odd that some items such as regular soda is not listed. Only choices were sugar free. I guess people tracking calories do not drink sodas lol.

I'll probably post my weekly average if I keep up with it.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

Well the fitday did not work. Most of the foods I eat were not listed or I could not find. May be they are in the paid portion of the site.

Tue. 4/6 cardio day, walked 2 miles ran some
    Wed: 4/7 70 lb bb complexes still struggling with the overhead presses.
    70 lb db bench presses
    Thu: 4/8 1 mile walk. Woke up late and only had time for 1 mile.
    Fri; 4/9 75 lb bb squats and deadlifts 70 lb overhead presses
    75 lb db benches focused on activating pecs while pressing. Read an article by Lyle Mcdonald that discussed how to use the pecs to press.
    Sat: 4/10 Walked 3 miles
    Sun 4/11 walked 2 miles plus and additional 2 mile stroll on the beach. What a beautiful day in Rehoboth.

Mon 4/12: 75 lb bb complexes including overhead presses :claphigh:
    75 lb db benches.

Mon 4/12 Weight 132.4, BF 18.2%

6. macdiver

Bronze Member

Still at it.

Tueday 4/13: walked 1 1/2 mile ran 1/2 mile. I made most of the 1/2 mile running. I had to walk for 15 - 30 seconds to catch my breath. Legs felt and barefeet felt good.

Wed: 75 lb bb squats, presses, deadlifts; 75 lb bb benchpresses
    Thur: I decided to try my run mid way through the walk rather than the end. I walked 1/2 mile than ran 1/2 mile. I had to walk a little in the middle again to catch my breath. After running, my legs felt too weak to walk another mile.
    Fri 4/16: During my warm up lifts I could tell my legs were weak so I decided to back down on the weight so I would not get hurt. Therefore, I squated, pressed, and powercleaned 65 lb. I db benched 70 lb. I think the running is taking some of my strength and slowing my recovery between lifting days.

Sat: I walked 1 1/2 mile and ran 1/2 mile. This time I made it without stopping. Plan is to stay at 1/2 mile for at least two weeks to give my legs, lungs, and barefeet time to adjust before moving up in distance.

stats on Sunday 4/18: Weight 132.4, BF 20.2% Seems odd that my BF went up almost 2% and my weight stayed the same. I guess these scales really are not that precise.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Did a walking tour of NYC on sunday. We walked from Penn station to wall street via the village, china town, bb bridge and past the tower site. Then we hopped on the subway and went to williamsburg in brooklyn. From there we took the subway to union square, walked back through the village and then back to Penn station. I do not know the distance we walked. Problem is I did something to my right knee which has been very sore. I barely was able to walk from the village back to penn. I have not been able to work out. Hopefully tomorrow it will feel good enough to lift. If not I will do my presses but not my squats or dead lifts.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Well, the knee is not better. It was worse last night. While cooking dinner I kept getting a sharp pain when walking. I put my knee brace on to help give it some support.

I will be changing my routine until it is better. I will go with an upper body routine using dumbbells. It will consist of a curl and press, dumbbell rows, and bench press. Hopefully in a week or so, I can be back to squatting.

Once ready I'll go back to just walking for cardio for a week before starting to run again.

9. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

i think you can find your food numbers on other sites or just check the product info on the package and than enter it into your fitday account, there's 'create a custom food' option.

10. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

I use the 'createcustomfood' option quite often too, try it out macdiver. :nod:

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestions on customizing foods. I did enter some info. Problem is for a lot of the food I cook, I do not have good info.

Do any of these websites allow you to enter recipes from which it would calculate the nutrition value?

I think I might try the new bodyshop site on this board.

12. Buttersweet

I'm not sure, I never tried it, but I did manage to calculate the stats for some types of bread I made at home, without any programs I guess, it's tedious, but it's worth it.
    So what is it that you eat? New recipes are always needed for clean food, so please share some:)

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Ah, clean foods, that is the problem :lol:

I eat a lot of food with sauces, chicken franchaise, chicken marsala, etc. So the sauces are not listed. Also on fitday, I could not find sweet potatoes, non diet coke, and some other things.

I played around with JSF bodyshop and there is a way to enter a recipe and have it calculate the calories. Pretty cool. I need to set aside some time to start tracking my calories and logging my exercises on bodyshop.

14. macdiver

Bronze Member

For this past week, I did not work out at all. I caught a bad head cold at the end of last week. By Saturday I was so congested I could barely sleep (even nyquil did not work). I was exhausted all week so I took it off. I did manage to walk the dog both thursday and friday evening for 1 mile each time. On Friday I did an extra mile afterwords. My Knee is much better.

Current stats on 5/1/10

Wt: 128.8 lbs BF 17.7%

I was so congested I did not have an appetite. This really helped with loosing the belly fat. I think now I will start to bulk.

15. Buttersweet

:confused: ok, sauces, that is tough to calculate.:D

EDIT: what is chicken marsala?

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Marsala is a fortified wine from Italy. It is good to cook with. To make chicken Marsala you start with chicken breast that are sliced and pounded thin about 1/4 inch thick.

Take a cup of flour add, oregano, salt, and pepper to taste. Coat the chicken breast in the flour. Heat a vegetable oil in a skillet. Cook the chicken 2 - 4 minutes per side until nicely browned. Remove from the skillet.

Add sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook 1 - 2 minutes. Add 1 cup marsala wine and 1 cup chicken stock. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Return the chicken to the sauce and cook until heated through (2 - 3 min.). Serve over a thin pasta like angel hair or spagetti.

You can also use Mediera wine. Follow the same recipe above but add 2 shallots minced to the mushrooms and use Medeira wine instead of the Marsala. Now you have Chicken Mediera.

I like these meals because they are fast normally less than 1/2 hour to make the entree and salad.

17. Buttersweet

:drool::drool::drool:
    Thanks for the recipe.

EDIT: here's a simple and healthy suggestion:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/05/oatmeal-pancakes/

#17 Buttersweet, May 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Let's see. Last week I lifted weights on M, W, F. I added dumbbell rows to my routine. I'm not doing true complexes anymore but am moving from one exercise to the next without rest.

I'm getting to the point where I need more weights. I am looking for a used set of oly weights now. I'll also will need a squat rack or power rack soon. It is getting difficult to get the weight onto my back for my squats. Currently I clean, press, then lower onto my back and reverse off. I see this as progress.

My knee started bothering me again. I think it is tendonitis in the tendon below the knee cap. That is where it hurts. Therefore, I have given up walking and running for now. I'm going to wait a few weeks then start my cardio back up.

I started logging my foods on bodyshop. I have to set aside time each day to update it. I did prety good last week but was out of town on the weekend. I know what I ate so I will enter the weekend and today tonight.

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

This is my journal so I guess I can post anything I want. First I would like to state that I am not looking for sympathy or condolences or whatever. I just need to get something off of my chest.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of my wife's and I got sick and had to cancel plans with us. She ended up in the hospital but at first they did not know what was wrong. They kept her to run a few tests. Words that make my skin crawl. Last night we found out she has pancreatic cancer and has less than a year to live. It is at an advanced stage and there is no treatment. She has quit her job and she and her husband plan on traveling while she can to places she wanted to go. For those who are curious she is around 52 yo (not exactly sure of her age).

Life is to f'ing short.

Sorry to be a downer. This hit me hard enough that I took a sick day from work today. I'll be better tomorrow.

20. macdiver

Bronze Member

On a lighter note, I uploaded to bodyshop some pictures I have took over the last couple of months. Interesting to see the "transformation" where the site animates the transition. Too bad I did not take pictures closer together.

Current stats:

128.2 lbs
    16.5%