1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

M@ as hell...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by M@, Mar 20, 2006.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Close: I'm in the final three weeks of my MBA program. The capstone course has been the most difficult, labor-intensive effort of my entire educational career. My teammates are a massive liability (I have no idea how they got through a first Masters program nor how they survived the previous MBA courses because they are absolutely clueless) and 49% of the work is team-based so I'm carrying them and doing the work of 5 people.

I weighed 305 lbs last week (back to 298 this morning). My diet is shit. I'm drinking 10-15 beers per day for stress relief. My blood pressure is around 145/100 every morning (stage 2 hypertension). My body is swollen, literally edema in hands and feet (can't wear wedding ring). Just bought 46" waist jeans and shorts because my 44"s were painfully tight. Just bought wide shoes because I couldn't fit my feet into the previous ones. I have to use my CPAP machine every night and sleep with a mouthguard to prevent the teeth-grinding that has broken 3 molars over the course of my postgraduate education. Carpal tunnel is making my hands go numb and every joint in my fingers cracks in the morning.

The plus side is that I haven't missed a workout since the second week of January and I'm fucking strong. A bunch of that 305 lbs is muscle. Way more of it is fat, but I've made this into an accidental bulk and am amazed at the plateaus I've busted through.

I complete the program in three weeks (April 28th) and will be dedicating the next year to restoring my ruined health.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Congratulations on the MBA. Also, not missing a workout since mid January. Good luck on restoring your health once you are done with school.

Now that is a lot of beer. :)

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Impressive string of no missed workouts, especially considering how busy you are.

4. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can relate, this is basically what I did last year :nod: The other upside is that when you lean out again, you'll look even better :dreamy:

5. George

George Senior Member

Hi M@! You can do it, buddy! Let me know if you need any help. That post makes grad school sound super appealing :zen:

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    It is. :nod:

It dropped to zero the week after I turned in our final project. Not because I was trying to stop, but I didn't need the stress relief anymore. Thanks for the gratz. :tu:

I've had crossout calendars in my basement that I've tracked workout compliance on for the past three years. They've all had these 3-4 weeks of blank space coinciding with the end of semesters/finals. This is the first semester I've managed to stay compliant all the way through. Practice makes perfect, I guess. :nod:

When you lost weight, did your lifts increase? I'm just wondering whether shedding all of these pounds will mean I'm still hella strong or if I'll lose a corresponding amount of strength (e.g. If I go from 300 to 250, will my squat increase by 50?).

George!!! :heart: :dreamy: :heart:

:spaz:

Thanks buddy! In retrospect, graduate school was awesome. I only wish I'd done it when I was listless and single in my late 20's early 30's. It would have given me structure and would probably have had more of an impact on my career. The MS was a challenging and fun. The MBA was tougher because the material was largely unfamiliar to me and there was so much focus on team projects - plenty of my classmates were content to get passing grades while I wanted A's.

What made everything so stressful was a demanding full-time job and two infant children on top of it all. :bang:

Weight: 290.2 lbs
    Bodyfat: 32.0%

I'm coming out of the fog of three and a half years of too goddamn much responsibility. Classes ended two weeks ago and grades are recorded (4.0 GPA over 56 credits in two degrees, bitches!) but I have yet to receive my graduation notice so it's still kind of in limbo. The Tom Venuto Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle summer challenge opens tomorrow and goes through next week. I had such success with it last summer that I'm planning to join it again with next Saturday as my start date.

I'm still getting my head around being out of school and placing a priority on fitness. I've been having dreams about running and skiing - two activities that I simply cannot do at my current weight (and also it's spring, so skiing's out anyway). I wake up sad that I can't do those things and want to change things.

I've been sad a lot. Like, tearing up at television commercials for no reason sad. Turns out my estrogen levels are very high. Testosterone replacement therapy, combined with alcohol and fat, is making my estrogen surge. That was the reason for the edema. My GP gave me an estrogen suppressant and a diuretic. I've pissed away 15 lbs and my hands and ankles are no longer so swollen (still a little bit, though). I'm very glad it wasn't heart failure. Still waiting for the blood pressure to get to normal levels, but it is slowly dropping.

Overall, life is very good. My kids (Alex - 3.5y, and Lily 18mo) are wonderful and lots of fun. My job is challenging and interesting without being stressful and I've been directed to telework three days per week. My parents are healthy and I've been taking my dad out to the local Par 3 on alternate Wednesdays for 18 holes of golf. His Alzheimers is progressing distressingly quickly but he loves the time outside with me and it gives my mom a night off every once in a while.

Once I've lost a little weight and have caught up on some long-overdue household chores, I have a feeling that I'm going to feel the vacuum of not having to write 25-page research papers every week. When it comes, I'm betting I'll put some of this acquired knowledge to use in personal projects. I've got ideas. The future looks bright.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on your degree and I'm digging the positive attitude. :tu:

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Congratulations on finishing your degree.

You should see some weight loss just by not drinking that many beers. That was a lot of extra calories.

Will you have to go radio silence for this challenge this year?

9. George

George Senior Member

I am also glad that it wasn't heart failure. I was kinda worried it was from your last post. :lol:

Sorry to hear about your dad. I work with a lot of Alzheimer's victims and it can be very hard to watch the progression.

10. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've lost around 22 lbs this year and my lifts have continued to go up, albeit at not such a fast rate. My squat may have stalled, but it hasn't regressed. From my own experience and from reading those of other people, you won't see strength loss in a cut unless a) you're really lean already; b) you have too big a caloric deficit or; c) you're already super strong (for your body weight we're probably talking 600-700 lb squat/deadlift and 350lb bench press kinda range). There are other things that can affect strength development of course, mainly recovery, but if that is on point then you should be fine.

11. George

George Senior Member

I agree with Gaz. Your ability to recover should go up now that you've removed a major stressor and aren't taking in so much alcohol ( plus diet is probably better).
    What might hurt you is worse leverages for squatting and benching, although deadlift leverages tend to improve with weight loss.

12. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This is overstated IMO. If you are already elite-level strong then yes, this does apply. For everyone else, unless you lose weight too fast, I don't think this applies. You would have to drop a lot of weight to have your leverages significantly affected, but they would change slowly and you would adapt naturally during normal training.

13. George

George Senior Member

You know, I generally agree with you. I wasn't sure what M@'s goals where in terms of weight loss so didn't want to give him the wrong impression if he was looking to lose 45kg or something.

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! :tu:

That's a really good question. I don't think I would officially participate (i.e. I wouldn't be competing for the prizes). Last years experience was a huge surge of enthusiasm and community support for six weeks; two weeks of people struggling and feeling bad about their lack of compliance; a steady die-off for the next three weeks where the forums became almost silent; and then the finish where a bunch of people who had barely posted anything dropped these amazing transformation photos. I'm not super confident in the overall integrity of the challenge. I'd like to be able to post here, too. :confused:

Me too. :lol:

The initial shock with my dad was hard. He'd worked a long time and was finally ready to enjoy retirement. Now it's kind of the new normal for all parties. I'm glad I can spend some quality time with him and it's good practice for being empathetic and patient.

That's encouraging! I'm not pushing anywhere near as much iron as you are, but it's still a personal high-water mark. I'd love to see the load totals go up as I lose weight.

:shifteyes:

I probably do have 100 lbs to lose. Going to proceed to 210 and see what things look like from there. :nod:

Weight: 295.2 lbs
    Bodyfat: 32.1%

Sara's taking the kids to her parent's house and will be back around 9:00 pm, so I've booked a 4:04 tee time at Reston National and am going to get in 18 holes after work. My plan is to walk the course with my push cart for the exercise rather than use a buggy. I haven't walked a full 18 at this weight and am a little nervous about how my knees and ankles will hold up. I've made it through 18 at the local Par 3 a couple of times, but I've definitely felt it afterwards and that's about half the distance of a full 18.

It blows my mind that I'm looking at walking around outside for four hours as so much of a challenge. Getting older sucks, as does being horribly irresponsible with my health and fitness. The worst thing I could do, however, would be to avoid pushing myself. I need to be more active, not to baby stressed-out joints. It'll all get easier as I lose weight.

15. George

George Senior Member

I think you can do it. :nod:

I got an ad for "Find a Denny's Near You" at the bottom of this post :lol:

16. George

George Senior Member

17. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol:

I remember Denny's grilled chicken quesadillas from college. We used to go there way too late at night, like when all the school bus drivers are there (maybe that's early instead of late :confused). I loved those quesadillas. So good. I wonder if they'd hold up. :confused:

:lol: This should have been her valedictory speech. :nod:

Weight: 289.0 lbs
    Bodyfat: 32.7%

I've finally straightened out my nutrition and sleep. Regulating sleep seems to have had the most impact. Instead of having different wakeup/sleep times on workdays, telework-days, and weekends, I now just crash by 10:00 pm and get up at 5:30 am. Setting a lights out alarm for 10:00 pm has done wonders in curtailing useless internet browsing at bedtime.

Sara took the kids to her folk's house yesterday so I got into work early, got out early, and played 18 holes at Algonkian. The course was in the best shape I've ever seen it and it's lucky that I got out when I did because they were backed up six buggies deep on the first tee when I putt out on the ninth at about 5:15 pm.

I was scrambling out of the rough all day. Only five fairways hit (and only three greens in regulation) so the hole in my game remains the full-swing clubs. One of the fairways I hit was on the par four fourth. As I was waiting by my ball for the guys ahead of me to clear the green, a ball came sailing through the trees from the tee box on the third and landed about 20 yards in front of me. I had 185 yards to the green and swung my 22 degree hybrid four iron. When I made contact, the head of the club detached from the shaft and went flying. Club head and ball struck the ground right at the point where the other guy had hit his ball. My ball bounced 90 degrees right and landed in the middle of the fairway. His ball bounced 90 degrees left and disappeared into the woods. My club head bounced 45 degrees left into the woods.

I spent about five minutes looking for the club head (found it) and lost the buffer I'd gained on the group behind me by playing fast. Ping should replace the club (or re-shaft and re-grip) at no charge. I emailed the pro that I bought it from and he told me to bring it in so he could take care of the return. I used my five iron in situations where i would've normally used the hybrid and had predictably poor results. Shot a 98 overall, which is my best score to date on that course.

Blah blah blah golf blah blah golf golf...