1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

M@ as hell...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by M@, Mar 20, 2006.

1. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Speak for yourself :confused: :lol:

Good to see you back M@! :) Health and fitness is just one big journey isn't it, there's often no clear start or end, and sometimes we find ourselves at the bottom of a steep-ass hill when we'd rather be at the top looking at the beautiful valley below.

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol:

Philosophy. :rolleyes:

3. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Yeah I'm rolling my eyes at that post now :lol:

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol:

5. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Actually got a call from the doctor's office this morning. The verdict is obstructive sleep apnea and my GP has put in an order for a CPAP machine. I just contacted my insurance to figure out a ballpark idea of what I'll be paying for the device and have some idea, but it all depends on what the company charges and whether they're in-network. Healthcare in this country is fucked up. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to actually getting 7.5 hours of sleep for 7.5 hours spent in bed! :spaz:

Merk likes this.
  6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Did you have this issue when you were thinner? If not, once you lose the weight, maybe it will disappear. I sometimes read these transformation articles, and the people sometimes say that the sleep apnea disappeared when they lost weight. But of course I am not a doctor. Good luck.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Agree about healthcare. Moving on from that topic, I'm glad you heard back from the doctor's office and the process is moving along. Hopefully, they're won't be too many out of pocket expenditures.

8. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Dream well with the CPAP machine!

Merk likes this.
  9. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Oh hello there. :jumping: I decided to see what this place is up to. It's great to see so many of the old gang still here.

dejavued likes this.
  10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not sure. I've always been able to fall asleep at the drop of a hat and that's supposed to be a sign that you're not sleeping well at night. My snoring, however, used to be infrequent and has flared up with the increase in weight. I'm very curious to see if it does go away when I get lean again.

Most of it was covered by insurance so the residual costs were easily handled by my FSA money. The place that actually sold the machine was fired up about getting me on an auto-renewal plan for the mask and filters. I declined all of that. Will shop around for the best deal online.

Two days and it's been great so far. :tucool:
    :wave:

dejavued and Merk like this.
  11. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Whenever I've been larger, I snore like a tank, but it stops when I get below a certain weight.

12. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Glad the CPAP is working for you and Merk.

M@ and Merk like this.
  13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hey, Matt - where are you?

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Lurking. :shifteyes:

Seltzer likes this.
  15. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I've entered into a routine with the CPAP machine where I fall asleep with it, then wake up around 2:00 am because the mask isn't fitting right, rip the mask off, shut the machine off, and go back to sleep. Strangely, it does not seem to have affected my quality of sleep at all. I'm still getting lots of quality and deep sleep after removal according to my app. I don't think that I've lost enough weight to alleviate the issue, but maybe I have? Maybe it's just that I need to get over that first 2-3 hour hump to control the apnea?

The odd thing is that I got an automated call from HomeLink, the company that oversaw the acquisition of the machine, asking if I was done with it and would like to schedule a return. Am I leasing this thing? :confused:

I don't understand and the robocall took place after their customer service hours were over so I will have to talk to a human at some point in the future. I do not envy that human because this company seems as sleazy as those places that hawk knee braces for medicare on TV and I'm not happy with them.

My custom-fit clubs arrived in early July and golf has changed completely. The transformation of my swing is incredible. I'm so much more comfortable hitting the ball that practice has become almost as enjoyable as playing the game. I've been keeping track of my swings and have put over 1000 balls down range or on course since I got the clubs. I doubt I've ever hit that many in a year. I've also started taking private lessons with my local pro and am working out some issues.

On-course performance has not matched the experience at the range (surprise!). I went out with my dad a couple of weeks ago and stopped keeping score after the 10th lost ball. I lost 14 overall. It was a very punitive course (i.e. fairway or dead) but the real problem was in my head. When the round was over, we went to use our complimentary range buckets and I sailed 45 balls straight, true, and long downrange.

During that round, I rolled my left ankle on a steep slope. It didn't feel great, and must have looked bad because Eric (the single we got matched up with by the starter) looked horrified and gasped, "Are you OK?" I walked it off, but would give out when I hit it at just the right angle. It has eliminated running for a while, so I've been going to the practice range on cardio days for the time being.

It's safe to say that golf has become an obsession. I'm watching the British Open at work (yay YouTube TV!) and watch golf videos on YouTube whenever I have the time. I'm learning so much more about the game. It's hard to work the mania into what little free time I have, but I'm managing to do so without wrecking my home life (generous Federal leave policies help here). It's another reason to be lean and fit, too.

Still rolling with the golf obsession, I decided to buy some new tech fabric golf polos as all my cotton polos just get instantly saturated and uncomfortable in the Summer heat. UnderArmour makes tall sizes, so I went with that brand and have had the following sequence of issues:
    • I ordered three XLT polos from UnderArmour.com
    • I got no order confirmation and didn't see any movement in my order online for three days.
    • I checked Amazon.com and found the same three polos for $15 less per shirt.
    • I called to cancel my UA.com order, but the rep said it was already on the truck and that I should just return the shirts.
    • I ordered the shirts from Amazon to lock in the prices.
    • On Prime Day, the shirts went down another $10 per shirt.
    • I called Amazon to see if they'd give me the Prime Day discount price on the shirts in-transit (and save themselves return shipping costs) but could not get through to anyone.
    • I ordered the shirts from Amazon again.
    So now I have nine new XLT UA Playoff Polos in various bags in my bedroom. Six of them are going back to two different retailers. I got a feedback survey from UA and detailed the chaos for them. They responded yesterday with a 25% off coupon on my next UA order so, overall, good going UA!

Okay, long post. Lots of talk in me today. I look forward to the fitness challenge on the other site ending so that I can post about fitness stuff over here again. In the meantime, I'll probably post about golf stuff and other randomness along the lines of this post.

dejavued likes this.
  16. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

sucks that golf is such a seasonal sport in your area.....but good for your wallet i guess! lol!! i have definitely not been golfing near enough lately. sounds like you're making leaps and bounds in your game this summer.

M@ likes this.
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hope your ankle heals quickly.

M@ likes this.
  18. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

When is the contest done on the other site? I'm curious how you are doing.

My FIL made clubs for me 20 years ago. While it probably helped, when you are averaging 10 shots per hole.....

I need to try this game again. I'm calmer now and losing my religion (REM) early in the game didn't help. Now I would put the bad shot behind me and move on.

M@ and Seltzer like this.
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mac, nice REM reference. :-)

20. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I've just purchased a set of Ping G400 irons, a bag, private lessons at $125/hr, and 35 buckets of range balls at $165 total. My wallet is in shock. :scared:

...it's the best money I've ever spent on a sport, though.

I think it's back to 100%, but I may keep going to the range in lieu of running. :shifteyes:

It was a rolling start, so my last day will be 8/25/2018. I've made outstanding progress so far. Just cracked PRs on bench, deadlift, and b/o rows, too, so I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life. Squat PR incoming.

:blank: