1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

M@ as hell...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by M@, Mar 20, 2006.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bodyweight: 248.6 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.7%

RHR is down to 69 bpm.

I've finished my schoolwork for the semester and have stabilized the work situation for the moment. I have the next five weekends off before I start up the last semester of my MSIT degree program (though I will still have 2 semesters after that to get my MBA.) I'm already feeling much more energized by the break. This semester wasn't particularly onerous: Both classes used weekly projects throughout the term rather than having midterms and finals. So, while there was a significant volume of work to do on a weekly basis, I didn't get the huge stress-crush of those couple of busy weeks. Despite that, it feels (like it has after every semester) like there's a huge weight off of my shoulders.

My bodyweight is, sadly, more the result of a stomach virus I contracted from my son on Monday than from any discipline in the kitchen. The idea of eating food still isn't very appealing.

I have to do my staff's 2nd quarter reviews today and Monday. I don't have a single performance issue among my six federal direct reports (a seventh is on a leave of absence until September) and I'm racking my brain to figure out ways to improve performance in Q3. Good problem to have.

Sara and I are going downtown tonight to celebrate a friends' birthday at one of those room-escape places. The place is right by the Verizon Center and there's a Capitals playoff game vs. the Maple Leafs tonight, so that whole area (congested at the best of times) is going to be a madhouse. We're planning to park at Sara's parents' house and Uber in. Her folks are watching the boy at our house. I can't believe how lucky we've gotten with the grandparent situation. :D

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bodyweight: 249.3 lbs
    Bodyfat: 28.0%

Decent week. I'm bloated up due to some salty food yesterday. Should be back in progressville this weekend. Sara's in St. Mary's County, MD for the weekend so I'm taking care of Alex all by myself. :scared:

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bodyweight: 250.5 lbs
    Bodyfat: 28.1%

I thought taking care of the baby all weekend was going to be a stressful mess. Instead, it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. We bonded. We got haircuts together. We ate as much Mexican food as we could stuff in our faces. When his mom got home, he ignored her and followed me around while I did chores like folding laundry and picking up in the study. :heart: :dreamy: :heart:

I'm feeling good. Ready to get back to some serious fitness progress. Ready to commit to making fitness a core value. Still haven't missed a workout in 2017, but it's time to get serious about nutrition.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Sounds like a wonderful weekend !

5. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It was. :heart: :dreamy: :heart: I'm looking forward to my next opportunity to spend that kind of quality time with him. We actually have NO plans this weekend and both sets of parents are out of town, so it may be a family-bonding extravaganza.

Weight: 248.5 lbs
    Bodyfat: 28.3%

The weather outside is basically perfect. I walked 9 miles yesterday, according to FitBit, because I just wanted to be out in the sun with the cool breeze. We've got about 90 days worth of still-light-at-8:00pm, so I want to go for a walk around the neighborhood with the family in the evenings after we've had dinner.

Gotta try to get an organization chart drawn before 9:00 am, so sigining off.

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 247.3 lbs
    Bodyfat: 28.3%

I was down to 245.6 lbs on Saturday, which breaks the Obese-Overweight BMI threshold. I'm back to obese today, but it's only a matter of time 'til I'm just overweight. I know that the BMI isn't a reliable measure or anything, the threshold just gives me another milestone to shoot for.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm in agreement with you about BMI; for anyone with muscle tone it's useless. I'm on the verge of being "Overweight" and while I would like to shed a few pounds I could lose almost 50 and at 6' 137 pounds be considered normal. Sorry, if I weighed 137 pounds something would be greatly amiss.

M@, do you know if there are any age adjusted calculators?

As for you, the trend is going in the right direction!

8. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That puts me squarely in the yellow at 6'4" 247 lbs (42 yo white male.) :blank:

Bodyweight: 247.6 lbs
    Bodyfat: 28.0%

Despite bodyweight being up, the bodyfat% is finally starting to drop after a steady upward trend for the past month. More exciting to me, however, is that my RHR is down to 63 bpm, from a high of 79 bpm a month ago. It's still nowhere near where I'd like to be (i.e. in the low 50's when I can start running again,) but is definitely on the right track. Waist size is under 42" and the suits I bought when I was at my peak weight are starting to look ill-fitting.

Two more free weekends before school starts up for the summer. :scared:

11. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Enjoy the free weekends with your son.

12. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :nod: I will. I'd really like to take him out for a hike, but it's been raining every weekend day where I've had the space to do that so far. :kickrock:

Bodyweight: 245.6 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.9%

Seeing 245 on the scale was exciting. I'm closing in on the 20 lb mark and it feels like genuine progress. :spaz:

This weekend is supposed to be a rainy Saturday in the DC area and a nice Mother's Day on Sunday. Mother's Day has metastasized into a massive event now that my folks and in-laws live nearby and my wife is now a mom. I've invited everyone to our house to celebrate and will spend Sunday looking after the boy so Sara can sleep in, then doing all the prep work and cooking for shrimp & crab etouffee.

I'm going to try to get my garage reconfigured and get the motorcycle de-winterized and ready for the Summer. I'm disappointed that I never rode it to work last year and don't want to make that two in a row...plus the thing really needs to be ridden. It's an 11 year old bike with like 6500 miles on it. :rolleyes:

13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bodyweight: 245.6 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.8%

I thought I had something to write here, but I can't think of anything.

14. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I am in the process of getting my bike back on the road. I road it to work on Thursday but now need to fix the leak in the rear brake. That part should be here next week. My bike is a 2005 with around 20k. It had less than 5k when I bought it in Nov 08. I thought I would be around 50k by now

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

After reading your Mother's Day dinner idea I'm now in the mood for seafood. :-)

16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm excited about it. I'm debating whether to make a double or triple batch. A single batch easily feeds 4, but we're going to have 8 people and I'm inclined to cheat towards too much/leftovers. Tomorrow's going to be mostly a kitchen day. The prep work is going to take 2-3 hours. :eek:

I told a guy at work that my bike was pretty much just for predatory exclusion at this point: As long as it's in the garage, I can't justify going out and buying a Harley. :nod:

Still haven't done anything to get it set up for the year. Alex is teething really hard and is absolutely f'ing miserable...so Sara and I are miserable too. :bang:

Weight: 243.9 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.9%

I've broken the 20 lb barrier! Very exciting. :spaz:

17. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 245.5 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.5%

So the family is feeling better and Summer-like weather has arrived. I've been running the bike every day and think I'm going to be OK with an idle adjustment (easy) versus a carb clean out (PITA.)

This is my last free weekend before the Summer semester starts. I'm going to try to get through 2 tanks of gas on the bike and, hopefully, go for a hike out in the woods somewhere with Sara and Alex.

18. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 247.5 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.7%

I hadn't realized it'd been so long since I posted. :shifteyes:

Golf with Philly was as enjoyable as always and was highly restorative. I've been on an even keel since and had a phenomenal holiday weekend. It was super-productive: I got off to a good start on both of my classes, trimmed the hedges, put down insect/grub killer on the lawn (since I saw some chinch bugs in the yard,) tore apart the carburetor from my motorcycle, cleaned all the components, and polished all the chrome on the motorcycle that could be removed (right now the bike's sitting there with no gas tank and no carburetor so I didn't want to wash the permanent chrome parts and risk getting water where it shouldn't be.)

I'm hoping to do the final breakdown work on the carburetor tonight (I have an aftermarket Air/Fuel Mixture screw arriving in the mail tonight) and get that ready for re-assembly this weekend.

On top of it all, I had good mornings with my little boy and took him out with me on Sunday for visits to various friends' parties while Sara hung out at home (she wasn't feeling well.) So I got lots of quality time with my best buddy and she got a day off to rest and read.

The only drawback was that I had a gout flare-up Sunday evening. This is common when I stop drinking beer, strangely enough. I took some drugs for it and was able to walk well enough to do most of the chores listed above. My left big toe joint is still swollen and sore, but it's getting less so every minute. Still got all my workouts in (although I didn't do squats or deadlifts because of the gout.)

I recently finished listening to "The Obstacle is the Way" by Ryan Holiday and found it incredibly motivating. It has begun to alter my worldview on difficult situations. For example, I was despondent about rebuilding the carburetor on my bike because I know what a time and labor-intensive process that is. Since I don't have much free time anymore, I was lamenting ever getting it done and was looking at another year of paying registration and insurance on a motorcycle that I don't ride. The book persuaded me to look at the problem as an opportunity to learn more about my bike, to patiently go through the process in stages, to work on it when I had time and not commit an entire weekend or something, and to maximize what little free time I have.

The end result is a somewhat surprising realization: I'm much happier when I spend my free time doing interesting and important things than I am when I sit around watching TV.

19. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 246.7 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.8%

I've come down with a serious case of don't-give-a-shit-itis at work this week. I've never been this disengaged at the job. :shifteyes:

The carburetor for my motorcycle is clean and pristine. I need to reassemble it and get it back on the bike. We're supposed to have a beautiful Saturday and Sara is planning to take the kid to her parents' so that I can do schoolwork without interruption. I'm going to try to get everything I can done ahead of time so that I can try to get this motorcycle thing squared away.