1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

M@ as hell...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by M@, Mar 20, 2006.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 252.6 lbs
    Bodyfat: 25.9%

I had a late night with the baby last night, but still got my weight training in this morning somehow. I don't think I fully woke up 'til a few minutes ago. :sleep:

We toured the local hospital. Meh. Pretty much the same as the last place. It's up to Sara whether or not she wants to change doctors.

Sara's birthday is today and I've left a card from me, a card from Alex, and an iWatch Series 2 Nike+ on the kitchen counter for her to wake up to. There's no way she's expecting it. I don't know if she'll like it or not, but she's been extremely curious about it since the Series 2 came out and everyone I've talked to that has one is slavishly dependent upon it.

Dinner tonight will be epic. :eat:

Last week, when I was getting a backup pair of glasses, they had "Blank Space" by Taylor Swift playing in the store. I thought the lyrics were pretty clever and that it was a fun pop song. I listened to it again on YouTube later that day. Since then, it has been on a constant repeating loop in my head and I cannot, no matter what I try, get rid of it. I want Taylor Swift dead. I want this song to have never existed. It is an epic ear worm and is driving me absolutely bat shit insane. :bang: :curses: :bang:

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Happy Birthday to Sara. She should like the Nike from what I have heard.

Laughing my ass off at Taylor Swift

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Happy birthday to Sarah and enjoy your dinner tonight.

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It finally seems to have been replaced by a random alternation of Deep Purple's "Highway Star" and Crosby Stills & Nash's "Southern Cross." I have no objection to either. I'm guessing the latter is 'cause I'm listening to "Collapse" by Jared Diamond and he's constantly referring to the Marquesas, but no idea where the former came from. :confused:

Thank you both for the birthday wishes. Dinner was awesome, although my entree was somewhat disappointing: I got beef cheek, which I'd never had before and turned out to be distressingly close to stewing beef but with much more sticky, jello-like fat ribbons riddling so much of it that I couldn't take a bite of meat without getting a mouthful of that weird, boogery fat. :no:

The oysters, champagne, beer, and chocolate pecan tart were outstanding, though. :nod:

Weight: 251.1 lbs
    Bodyfat: 26.4%

The scale settled on 249.8 for almost a full second this morning before snapping back up. :curses:

I have about 2,000 words to write for my Modern Software Methodologies class and I'll be halfway done with the semester. We're going over to our friends' house in Alexandria tomorrow night and to Sara's parents' house on Sunday for a family birthday celebration...although I think her folks and mine are primarily concerned with seeing their grandson.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Read somewhere that when you have a song stuck in your head, you should start doing some math. Apparently the "stuck" song is cause the synapses are firing on a loop, and it is the same brain area that solves math, so you are giving them something else to do, and it makes the song go away.

Jaer
    isn't sure it works on Taylor Swift, though. Math might not be able to counter her dark magic.

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It worked! :spaz:

I was free of the song 'til I got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. I started doing basic addition in my head and it quieted everything down. Awesome trick, particularly since later in the week we watched "Sing" which has another Taylor Swift earworm in it. :nod:

Weight: 252.1 lbs
    Bodyfat: 26.7%

It was not a good weekend. I did a hard reset on Monday, even took the day off of work just to get my focus back, and think I'm back on track. Had a telework day yesterday 'cause of the storm and got an additional 3500 steps worth of exercise shoveling the driveway. I was the only one out shoveling the sloppy, heavy snow 'cause I knew we were going to get a hard freeze last night. This morning, my neighbors were trying to chip channels in the concrete-consistency snow to get out of their garages while my driveway was clear and dry.

Smug. :burr:

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 250.2 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.0%

We're going to our local hangout tonight 'cause they always have an amazing St. Patrick's Day menu...aaaand I just realized it's the first day of the NCAA tournament, so I had better book a reservation. Done. I was going to say that there was no way I'd be going anywhere near a bar tomorrow, but the tournament packs every seat in the house at this place anyway. At least there won't be a cover charge.

I may have a Guinness with dinner. :shifteyes:

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 251.0 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.2%

There have been some signs that our hangout is going downhill. The food quality has been gradually deteriorating. It's tough to notice the difference month-to-month, but I bet if I could order one of the staples from when they opened and its same version now, I'd be horrified by the degradation. This impression was cemented when we walked in yesterday: There were plenty of parking spaces, seats available at all bars, and we were one of three families in the dining room. The place used to be like a Green Line car on the T at rush hour when the NCAA Tournament kicked off. Such a shame. :kickrock:

It's probably good news for my nutrition, though. :nod:

Sara is making breakfast for dinner tonight. :eat:

In non-food-related news, I accidentally logged on to Facebook for the first time in a month and had a message from an old flame asking if I still had a painting I'd done of her and could she have it. I don't think I have a problem with it. Being happily married with an awesome kid, I don't think it's particularly appropriate to keep old, half-finished paintings of ex-girlfriends around. At the same time, it's my artwork. Again, at the same time, it's sitting, still on its stretcher, in the basement behind a bunch of stuff with its face against the concrete wall. :confused:

Anyway, getting a personal message from this person for the first time in fifteen years has caused a cascade of emotions that I'm trying to make sense of. It's weird. It's also caused me to be more concerned with my personal appearance for some reason. I knew this girl when I was at the peak of my physical fitness. Comparing that me to the current me seems much like the deterioration in the food quality described above. Then again, who doesn't want to be fifteen years younger again?

9. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Is she naked in the painting?

10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nope

11. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 250.8 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.4%

I'm officially annoyed. :blank:

Not only have I not cracked the 250 barrier, my bodyfat percentage is slowly climbing for some reason. A couple of weeks ago I was on track to be sub-245 by April 1st. That's looking impossible now. I ate perfectly clean and on-program this weekend, got my workouts in, didn't drink, and got tons of sleep. :kickrock:

Nothing to do but go through, I guess. Hopefully I'll have some kind of epic 3-5 lb drop in the next week or two to get me back on track.

Had a great weekend. Spent Friday night together with my son while my wife went to see a play with her mother in DC. Saturday, she took the kid to her parents' all day so that I could focus on schoolwork. I wound up finishing both assignments by 10pm and the time flew by because the work was so interesting. Yesterday I had enough free time that I actually watched my first Spurs game of the EPL season (2-1 over Southampton - COYS!) I cooked steaks and baked potatoes for dinner. For dessert, we had these pre-packaged Belgian butter waffles with "Notti" cookie butter spread - it says it's carmelized cookies. Friggin' ludicrously good. The Notti is Dutch. First stroopwafel and now this? They're so far ahead of us in cookie technology it's scary.

And before anybody makes a connection between the last paragraph and the first, I weighed out the Notti that I used and recorded all calories accurately. :blank:

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

:lol:

13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 248.8 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.5%

Well I finally broke through the 250 lb barrier. That's the only good news I've got right now.

Work, which I thought was going well, erupted in a half-hour session with my Director and Deputy Director yesterday where they proceeded to lay out all of my failures as a department manager. This blindsided me, as I thought that I had things running extremely well and both me and my department had been responsible for several recent high-profile successes. Those were not recognized, however. I also have a new colleague who, perhaps smelling weakness or perhaps somehow responsible for this negative feedback, is aggressively undermining me professionally and socially.

If there wasn't a hiring freeze, I'm sure I would've been able to find another job elsewhere by now. Given the current climate and how downright unpleasant and awful it is to work here right now, I'm going to broaden my search to the private sector. It'd suck to leave the Federal Government. I've enjoyed the security here and I'm assuming that, once I return to the private sector, I'll never be willing to take the requisite pay-cut to go back to being a Fed.

I'm sick to my stomach. My hands are cold. This office is the last place on earth that I want to be in. Security is nice, but it's not worth this.

On the plus side, I still got up and lifted on schedule this morning. I've stuck to my nutrition program and didn't try to blunt my stress with alcohol last night. These are good things, as are my wife and son.

14. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I hope things get better at work. It doesn't seem as though you have good bosses. While the private sector may pay more in salary, the benefits are far less than a Government job especially a pension. The private sector did away with those years ago. Just my 2 cents.

15. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Man, that sucks that you were blindsided like that. Sucks more that you are considering a job change as a result. Wishing you well through this.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Sorry to read about what you're going through and sending good thoughts that your situation improves to your satisfaction in the near future.

17. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    All true, but if the current administration delivers on some of their goals those benefits are going to take a serious hit anyway. With no corresponding pay increase, so it could very well be a net reduction in salary as well as reduced benefits. :kickrock:

Thanks! I'm hoping that things start moving in the DOD pretty soon. It looks like defense will be a growth industry in the near future.

Thanks, I hope so as well. :nod:

Weight: 249.1 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.0%

What a couple of days. :crazy:

Turns out that not only was my coworker aggressively undermining me, she wasn't interested in being discrete about it. I was basically told to beat her at her own game. She gave me the opportunity yesterday and I shut her down, hard, in front of our management. She was furious for the rest of the day, but cordial this morning. I don't know if this means she's backing off or plotting something. We'll see.

I'm actually much more engaged now that I've gotten the green light to fight back. I've ready a bunch of management books and know that there's a personality type out there that basically only likes management because it gives them the ability to do this kind of Machiavellian competition with their peers. There has definitely been some damage done, however, by me letting things go for as long as I did.

In short: This place is still more toxic than Chernobyl, but I'm not loathing the prospect of coming in to work in the mornings.

Best news: I've stayed on-program and haven't had a drink this whole time. I'm hoping to never see 250+ on the scale again. :nod:

I've got a day's worth of homework this weekend and can probably knock everything out tomorrow if I can get enough baby-free time to concentrate. It'd be really nice to have Sunday off.

18. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 248.7 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.2%

Salty food on Sunday had me back up over 250 lbs again. We ate at Burton's Grill and Bar and loved the meal. Best calamari I've ever had. What really blew me away was the kid's menu. They brought a perfectly cooked adult-sized portion of cod (pan seared,) amazing rosemary mashed potatoes, and broccoli so fresh that even I considered eating it. I'd say we'd be back again soon, but it cost a fortune for what was, essentially, bar food. I love farm to table, but don't know that I can afford it. I hope they stay in business.

Old flame update: She changed her mind about wanting the painting back and we exchanged pleasantries before she signed off. Maybe we'll have a full conversation in another fifteen years. :rolleyes:

Work update: I've come to the conclusion that my overboss, while incredibly charismatic and intelligent, is completely devoid of integrity. I'm done trying to manage up to his expectations and am just going to focus on protecting my people from him (while trying to get them to make the organization successful.) I've been listening to a management audiobook on my commutes and it got to a point that described my work environment perfectly. I listened eagerly for the advice, and the authors said, "If you find yourself in this situation, we recommend finding a new place to work as soon as possible." :lol:

School update: I've gotten 95-100% on all assignments for both classes so far this semester. Four more weeks to go. There are no finals or major projects for either course, so the rest of the semester should be easily manageable.

I haven't missed a workout in 2017. Last year, I also had a perfect record going into April, but then it got derailed by schoolwork. That's not going to happen this year.

19. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bodyweight: 248.6 lbs
    Bodyfat: 26.8%

I've been in training all week, so my free time has been spent dealing with the work that piled up in my absence. This means I didn't get to post yesterday when my bodyweight was 246.9 lbs. I'm so close to the 20 lbs fat loss threshold!

Maybe this weekend. :spaz:

20. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bodyweight: 254.2 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.5%

I don't know the last time I've been this stressed out. It certainly wasn't last summer while my parents were sick. That doesn't even compare. I lost all discipline for about the last 10 days. Didn't miss a workout, but ate and drank like a lunatic.

My resting heartrate is 79. :blank: