1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

M@ as hell...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by M@, Mar 20, 2006.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Yesterday is yesterday you can only focus on today and tomorrow.

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good, 'cause I fucked up yesterday, too. :no:

Weight: 253.8 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.7%

Didn't even make it 24 hours. :blank: The salmon that Sara had planned to make smelled off and she suggested the local sports bar so that we could sit outside on the patio. I had three beers with dinner. The food there used to be outstanding, but seems to have gone considerably downhill and the menu has gotten smaller. Such a lame way to undermine progress. :kickrock:

I skipped weights this morning and just did 45 minutes on the treadmill instead. My lower back is feeling normal again. I'm still going to de-load starting Monday.

It's a gorgeous day and there aren't many people in the office. I'm going to try to wrap things up at lunchtime and get out of here when my last meeting ends at 3:30 pm.

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 254.2 lbs
    Bodyfat: 27.1%

Big fail weekend. Need to put it behind me. Today is going good. I decided I needed one more day off of the weights, so I just hit the treadmill this morning.

GetShredded2017_0227.png

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 254.8 lbs

Still bloated, despite clean foods yesterday. I think I've given my body the recovery time it needed: I'm itching to lift weights again.

I knew I was never going to make it through this cut without failing. I know I'll fail again sometime, perhaps several times, between now and my target weight/bodyfat. The difference this time is that I intend to minimize these failures and get back on track as soon as possible.

Back on track now.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Good mentality. You'll make it as long as you don't stop trying for it.

Jaer
    thinks that the key is realizing you are going to hit road blocks and that making it to the final destination is to keep moving forward despite the blocks. You got this!

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

M@, righto! You don't have to be perfect to achieve your goals and as long as one cheat doesn't turn into two which turns into three, etc. you'll make progress. Family with a newborn, work, school, condo (? on the last one): I think your problem is you have too much free time. :D

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Exactly. :nod:

I've read about 8-10 accounts of the rise and fall of the Roman Empire* (except Gibbon, still haven't made it through that one) and they all say something along the lines of, "The Romans succeeded because they would absorb losses that would've made any other [similarly sized] society surrender or sue for peace. Then they would rebuild, re-equip, and attack again."

* Western

Stressful work, graduate school, 16-month old, house (and all the maintenance hassle that comes with it,) and - until recently - sick parents. It's a lot to juggle, but I'm starting to think that the root of this derailment (and many past ones) was overtraining.

Weight: 252.6 lbs

So I lifted today. It's the first day of an intentional de-load coming down 15-20% off of the weights I've been using, but staying in the same (5-8) rep range. I start off with squats, doing the first warm-up set with the empty bar. When I got in the rack, I could feel my whole body cringing at the weight of the empty bar. I worked up to my de-loaded weight and banged out the requisite reps for all of the working sets. When I was finished, I felt more awake, energized, and enthusiastic about the rest of the workout.

The rest of the workout followed the same kind of progression. When I was finished, I was more pumped and energized than tired.

At the end of last week, I was calling local psychiatrists 'cause I was acutely aware that I was spiraling into a real depression and needed to head it off with medication. Today I'm rapidly becoming convinced that the downturn was brought on because I was training too heavy. The last couple weeks of workouts have been categorized by that cringing fear of the bar and I've spent the rest of the day exhausted.

Today, on the other hand, was awesome. I feel great right now. I'm eager to see how Friday's workout goes and how I feel over the weekend.

It's ego-bruising to have to reduce the weights, particularly since I was so close to some PRs, but I have to keep reminding myself that the point of this is to preserve muscle, not to get stronger. I can chase PRs when I'm consuming 3300+ calories a day to support that kind of effort.

macdiver was talking about crossing days off of a calendar to mark progress. I'm a big fan of this approach, and I've found it very valuable and inspiring to have the whole year on the wall at once. It pumped me up last year (until I went off the rails in October :blank:)

crossOutCalendar.jpg

#4827 M@, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 251.1 lbs

Sooooooo close to breaking the 250 barrier. 248 flashed on the scale yesterday and I got an adrenaline surge at the thought of it. That will be a very satisfying milestone.

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Getting close!

Jaer
    does like those breaking points.

10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 251.4 lbs
    Bodyfat: 26.8%

I was hoping the weight number would drop again since I was under target calories (without FitBit bonus) and all from homemade foods yesterday, but the bodyfat% drop is significant.

I got $300 worth of Mens Wearhouse gift certificates (in $50 increments) from the suit purchases I made in December so I went back there yesterday for some more dress shirts and ties. One of the shirts I'd gotten in December was an 18-36/37 "Slim Fit" that I was initially horrified by when I got it home (I hadn't looked at any of the tags or tried on the shirts, just trusted the guy.) I thought it would be awful and worried that I wouldn't be able to button it. Instead, it fits better than any other shirt I have. I love how it doesn't bunch up under a suit jacket or puff out around the waist.

So I went back yesterday and got six shirts, six ties, two tie bars, and a pair of cufflinks. Dropped all the shirts off at the dry cleaners this morning and will now have a wardrobe that is mostly fat-proof since I'll still be able to wear all of these shirts when I'm at my target weight. I think. I don't know if "Slim Fit" is the new vanity size for men. Like, "Slim Fit" is the old "Classic Fit" and "Classic Fit" is for guys who are even greater in circumference than I am? :confused:

One of the shirts I pulled off the shelf was an "Ultra-Slim Fit" and when I brought it to the sales guy's attention he said, "No no no, you don't want that." :lol:

Still got a ways to go. :nod:

11. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Weight: 250.6 lbs
    Bodyfat: 26.7%

I've had pain in my right knee for a couple of days now. Looking around online, it seems like it's probably gastrocnemius tendinitis. It's definitely the interior rear of the right knee, has no discernable swelling, and hurts more when my calf is flexed. I've been walking at a decent pace (3.3 mph) on an incline (6) for my cardio recently and I think that's the cause. I'm going to take it easier and get rid of the incline to see if that improves things.

Homework all day today. :kickrock:

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

It may not happen tomorrow, but you'll soon be staring at 24X on the scale. :jumping:

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

26.70% body fat for someone 250 pounds is not too bad. You must have a decent amount of muscle. You seem to be making consistent progress. Slow and steady wins the race or so they say.

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I know! :spaz:

It didn't happen today. :blank:

It's not horrible, but still puts me in the obese BMI, and it feels like it. :nod:

I, sadly, do not have much muscle for my height. I'm getting gassed with lifts that most intermediate trainees would use for a warm-up. I'll tackle that problem later, though, after I've cut down to my target weight (for the first time since joining this forum 11 years ago.)

Weight: 250.3 lbs
    Bodyfat: 26.7%

I finished all of my homework last night, so I have that rarest of things during the semester: A full day off! :spaz:

There are a ton of chores and whatnot that I need to do, but I'm going to have some fun, too. I may bundle up Alex and take him and Sara over to one of the little nature trails and hike for a bit. It's cold out, but sunny and not a cloud in the sky.

This is one of those days where I'm just happy as I can be with my progress:

fat_week09.png

15. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Not to preach but I think changing your mindset would help. Don't think of having a few drinks, wings, burgers, etc as failure. Alan Aragon had an article a few years back talking about eating right 80% of the time. The other 20 % doesn't matter. It isn't a daily basis but an average over time. Keeping to that won't win a body building contest but will make you healthy and happy.

16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If I can continue to keep these slips from being multi-day or week long binges then yeah, I think my mindset will change. Past performance has shown, however, that I will get derailed if I let myself slip into a mentality where it's OK to go off program.

Bodyweight: 253.0 lbs
    Bodyfat: 26.5%

A Millers Ale House opened nearby, so we went over there for lunch to try it out yesterday. Food was decent, but I don't feel like we got value for the money. Won't be going back. I'd rather go to Applebees or Fridays if we're going for chain family restaurant fare.

Afterwards we went to the park. Pizza for dinner. I was over calories for the day, but fine for the week.

The pic directly below is Alex snuggling up to me while I set up his VA 529 college savings plan. The other two are from the park. :dreamy:

Alex529.JPG AlexPark1.JPG AlexPark2.JPG

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Very nice pictures of an obviously happy little boy. :)

18. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    His default mode seems to be happy. It has been a blessing. :nod:

Weight: 253.8 lbs
    Bodyfat: 25.9%

How did I do this before having a WiFi enabled bodyfat-reading scale? :confused:

I would've been pissed off at the weight number, but the bf% reading shows that I'm still dropping fat at the same (sweet) rate as I have been for the last nine weeks. When I can get rid of this water retention, I should crack the 250 lb barrier. :nod:

Getting rid of the water retention will likely be easier said than done. Tomorrow is Sara's birthday and I'm taking her out to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner. I don't intend to restrain myself for that meal, though I'm going to be on point for all meals between now and then.

Tonight we're going to tour the natal wing of our local hospital. We were not pleased with the level of care we received at the hospital where Alex was born and it's almost five times farther away from our house than this one. The only reason we went there was because all of Sara's doctors were there. So we'll check out the facility (it's supposed to be amazing) tonight and will get to work switching doctors if we like it.

This is all still aspirational. No pregnancy yet that we know of. :confused:

19. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

:dreamy:

20. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :heart: :dreamy: :heart: