1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

M@ as hell...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by M@, Mar 20, 2006.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    ...and I'm not gonna take it anymore.

For an almost unbroken streak of thirteen years I've smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. I've run sub-20:00 5k's and lit up within minutes of crossing the finish line. I've coughed up chunks of brown-black phlegm onto a first-date. I've had interviews where my potential boss is obviously eager to get the hell away from the smell. I've been glared at by mothers, given health advice by strangers, chastised by doctors, lectured by parents, and pleaded with by girlfriends.

The habit I picked up to be cool and at-ease has now made me a paraiah. More vile than that, I consider my dependence on the substance to be utterly inexcusable weakness.

So today, Monday, March 20, 2006 at 7:30pm I had the last cigarette of my life.

What makes me certain I'm through is the death of fear. Until now, I have always had terror in my gut at the prospect of living life without this crutch. This is not going to be easy, but it is going to be far from impossible. I can do it. This journal is here to keep me exposed and honest.

1. Smoking is weakness. It makes me weak.
    2. I am not weak.
    3. I will never smoke again.

M@

#1 M@, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  2. DRLski

DRLski Well-Known Member

cold turkey, best way to do it. congrats and good luck

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Many thanks! The support and encouragement on this board is another weapon in my arsenal. I really appreciate it.

M@

4. Dorvaan

Dorvaan Well-Known Member

Cold turkey CAN be done. My wife had smoked since she was 13, and just one day quit smoking all together. That lasted for about 4 months. Then she realized that she was REALLY craving them when we would go out on the weekend, and she'd be drinking. (Maybe twice/month). So, for about the last year, she has smoked maybe a grand total of 15-20 cigs a month. I think that's a pretty good trade off. Obviously, not smoking at all would be ideal. But in comparison to smoking nearly a pack a day, I think a pack a month is pretty good.

5. chang

chang Well-Known Member

This is awesome news to hear man, you can do it. You have to do it!

You will feel fucking great, you'll be in the best shape of your life! Big time respect to you for overcoming this! Good luck I'll be watching this thread! Make us, and yourself proud! :tu::gl:

6. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    You ran a sub 20:00 5K? :D

Good on ya man. A few of the other more "reputable" members here on JSF have quit this year... we're here to help. You can do this.

7. BigDog

BigDog Well-Known Member

I have a friend who quit smoking cold turkey a few years ago, and didn't gain an ounce in doing it.

His strategy was simple: Every day he did some sprints- not just a few, but until his lungs burned. By doing so, he increased the sensitivity of his lungs, making smoking seem painful. He did this for a few weeks, and had retrained himself not to start smoking again.

Good luck-

8. The Cappuccino Kid

The Cappuccino Kid Well-Known Member

Well done.

I reached the same conclusion as you on the 31st October 1998 and haven't smoked since.

It's a vile habit - learn to hate it.

Good luck - you won't regret it.

9. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Many times, if you count all the sessions with a former drill instructor in the midway at the track, chewing me out for a sissy 6:30 mile time. :rolleyes: He'd throw oranges at my car when he'd see me in there, lighting up after a workout. :lol:

Last time I quit I'd throw down a set of push ups, a set of pull ups, and a set of sit ups, each to failure, whenever I got a strong craving. It was a great positive reinforcement and, more importantly, gave me the ability to focus mentally and concentrate that I'd usually used nicotene for. I intend to do that again and am geeked that my office is right next to our building's mini-gym.

Sweet! I can't tell you how awesome it is to wake up to this positivity and encouragement. Thanks to all of you for your support. I can do this. I will.

I also want to mention that I'm not doing this without pharmacological help. I'll be using the 7mg NicodermCQ patch for the next four weeks. I'll also have some nicotene gum around for the next two weeks. I've gone scorched-earth on all paraphenalia around the house, at work, and in my car. I've trained myself to eliminate the tendency to look on smoking in any kind of a positive light and have informed everyone I interact with about my decision.

And that's it for the rah-rah for now. I get the impression that the hard part's about to begin. :lol:

M@

10. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Let's see,
    I kicked an opiate addiction. That was tough.
    I kicked an addiction to alcohol. Not too tough.
    I quit smoking on Jan. 1st. It's the hardest thing i've EVER done.

It CAN be done though. I REFUSE to smoke again.

11. gborn

gborn Well-Known Member

That's great M@. Besides the obvious health benefits how about this:

$4.25X365= $1,551.25

Treat yourself to something really nice, you'll deserve it!

12. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You and me both DD.

Oh I'm dialed into that too gborn! Since I'm in a tobacco state my cost per pack has been $3 or $30/carton. Since starting my workout program in January I've taken the $3/day I used to spend on cokes from the vending machine and every 10 days I buy a $30 6-month CD at ING Direct. Now I'll be going for $60 every 10 and it'll put me at over $2200 this time next year.

So maybe head down to FL for the JSF cheat meal and then on to tropical points south for a vacation? Couldn't be bad! There's also the idea of replacing my motorcycle. Decisions, decisions! :D :spaz:

M@

13. williamso

williamso Well-Known Member

This is great! I'm so happy for you. You're right. The hard part is coming up. But I'm sure you can do it. We're all behind you, in your corner -- just go the distance with this thing and you'll be feeling great!

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No doubt about that! Damn. It feels f'ing great! :D :D :D

M@

15. Fender

Fender Well-Known Member

Congratz and good luck! I smoked a pack a day from the time I was 15 until 21. I quit cold turkey 8 years ago. Its hard but you can do it! Just remember, if others can do it why cant you? You're not weaker than them are you?

16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hell no! Though this does bring up a curious point: This past summer I was diagnosed with ADD. I've been dealing with it since adolescence but it was missed at the onset and I developed coping strategies to mask it and get along normally.

My psychiatrist told me that I've probably had so much trouble quitting in the past because I was using Nicotene as a stimulant. I could handle the withdrawl and the cravings but not my mind shutting down when I needed to concentrate.

Now I've got fantastic medication that takes away any need I had for the clarity that came with smoking. Yet another reason I know I'm gonna do it.

M@

17. Rhez

Rhez Well-Known Member

Just to add my support to ya M@, i Stopped last September 2nd and have had a few wobbles over the first couple of months but it gets easier as time goes by, in a few days i will have stopped smoking for 6 months and will never smoke again.
    I had been smoking for 30 years(yikes) at the end i was at 40 a day, £4.80 per pack = £67 a week.
    I bought myself a years membership to a gym, and have never felt better.

Oh did i mention that the Ciggies nearly killed me and that was the decideing factor of me Stopping, So well done for Stopping now.

18. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the support, Rhez. Sorry you had to go through that to get off 'em but I'm not surprised. Never encountered anything more insidious. Great job quitting! Can't wait 'til I can post here that I've hit the six-month mark. :nod:

M@

19. Rhez

Rhez Well-Known Member

M@ do not be sorry my friend, i am now glad it happened to me, i wanted to quit many times but never found the courage so for me it was the beginning of a new me.
    The six month mark will come around quick enough believe me, you end up setting yourself targets to reach, birthdays, holidays etc.
    As you probably already know you do NOT give up smoking as that makes it sound like you had something to give up, it is best to go with the "Stopped smoking" frame of mind.

20. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

Way to go!!! I quit just before Thanksgiving and have not felt better!!!!

Good ideas with the CD's as well!!!! Making money, money, money!!!