1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Ludvig78 vs Abguy

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Ludvig78, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Ludvig78

Ludvig78 Well-Known Member

We need to get this party going. Want to set a startdate?

regards
    Ludvig.

2. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Are you guys starting a bulking challenge? Should be interesting. :eat: :db: :eat: :bb:

3. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

Bulking Challenge

There's no better time than the present.

My body's been screamin' for calories for the past month.

How 'bout "before" pics ?......

One front shot flexed and unflexed, one back flexed and unflexed.

Maybe a quick mybodycomp.com breakdown.

Let the challenge begin !!!

PS - I'm chowing on a whole oven roasted chicken as we speak !

Prepare to be humbled, Ludvig. :p

4. bigdog9801

bigdog9801 Well-Known Member

Oh man, bulk challenge, I've started mine already, but I would love to join you if you didnt object

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Oh man, this is a show down. I'm almost tempted to ask if I can get in on this. I'm definitely going to be watching this thread.

6. Ludvig78

Challange.

Hi!

I don't see this as a challenge. It's more like a teamwork thing. I will concentrate my time and efforts on Abguy but you other guys would be able to do a challenge yourselfs because you are two people aswell. Also thought we would do a bulk to go against this forum. Everyone in her is cutting all the time. I am looking for adding some mass and more definition for next summer. I was in decent shape this year but the mail goal is next year.

This bulk will probably be going on for atleast 4-5 months. We will start now and hit it hard until the end of januari. Then we will start cutting and see how much of the hard earned muscles we can keep. The I guess I will have to go to Miami again and compare with Abguy up front. ;)

It's fun to see that people wanna follow our journey. Looking forward to many replies. :)

I took some pictures last night. Was abit tired and didn't have the energy to crawl on the floor to connect the cam. Will do it tonight...

7. Ludvig78

First changes in workouts and diet.

Hi All.

I have already made some changes in my intake and workout:

1. I have basically cut all cardio.
    2. Just doing the gym 3 times a week to have best possibility for growth and minimal risk for overtraning.
    3. Started to load with creatine for better strength and better recovery.
    4. Upped the protein intake to around 250-300g a day.

8. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This forum is definitely always cutting. Only recently have people started reaching their goal weights and thus started bulking or at least maintaining. I'm always bulking, which is fun; when I need to cut out some fat or get in aerobic shape, I put in serious cardio, otherwise I stop or drastically reduce it.

You might consider a modified 3 day split:

1. Workout 1
    2. Workout 2
    3. Workout 3
    4. Rest
    5. Workout 1

6. Rest
    7. Rest

1. Workout 2
    2. Workout 3
    3. Rest
    4. Workout 1
    5. Workout 2

6. Rest
    7. Rest

1. Workout 3
    2. Rest
    3. Workout 1
    4. Workout 2
    5. Workout 3

6. Rest
    7. Rest

1. Rest
    2. Workout 1
    3. Workout 2
    4. Workout 3
    5. Rest

6. Rest
    7. Rest

x repeat

You always have 5 days rest between each workout except for once each cycle when you only have 3 days rest. I'm following this split at the moment and it's awesome. But you need the freedom to get to the gym five continuous days of every week, even though each week it will vary which one day of those you won't be at the gym.

9. Ludvig78

Hi!

Thanks for the tip but I like my three day split where I go to the gym every other day, Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Doesn't feel to serious for me and I always feel refreshed for every workout. Sometimes I go two days in a row but then I usually feel beaten up from the day before. I always go max and my body seems to need the time to recover. I see guys going to the gym 5 times a week but I am still alot bigger then them and had better results over the last year. Don't believe more is better. Kinda the other way actually. Think less is better specially during bulk.

10. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Can i ask why you plan to cut out all Cardio ? Just curious what your take is on it ?

11. Ludvig78

Active recovery. I will probably do some cardio but nothing planned. Need to put all energy on adding mass. You grow when you rest and you need some extra energy to burn muscles. If you cut and eat on the edge it's had to add any. Body has a hard time staying in an anabolic phase.

12. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

I've got to get my sh** together.!! :spaz:

I've always lifting weights while cutting, so I've never really seen what my body can do with a sufficient number of calories.

I'm nursing what I think is a pinched nerve in my back for the past 2 weeks, but I'm going to the gym today to do some eliptical work to try to loosen it up.

I think I favor the chicanerous' 5 day split. Like I said, I've never lifted without dieting, so I want to see how 5 days/wk will work for me. The gym is right next door at work, so getting there everyday isn't a problem.

It'll be interesting. It was fun to cut to 9%, but I really don't have the muscle to be at 9% w/o looking anorexic. If I could get back to 165 lbs in 5-6 months, and keep the fat under 14%, that would be sweet.

Not sure about the creatine use yet. I've got alot of figuring out to do.
    If anyone has any input or suggestions, fire away.

I just plan to eat clean and plenty, with continued lfiting, and less frequent cardio (2x / wk ??)

Will post my pics and mybodycomp stats tonight, after work.

It's exciting to see that there will be some followers of this thread. It adds a little pressure to make sure we follow through.

BTW, I met Ludvig in Miami last week while he was on vacation. His pics don't do justice to those biceps !! I've got my work cut out for me.

I can't believe it's only 6 months to the day that I started my weight loss diet, and now I'm starting a bulk. Crazy.

#12 ABguy, Aug 17, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  13. Reno_1ted

That sound like a winning plan of action. :)

14. Ludvig78

I think I will be ok. I add on mass pretty easy. Why overdo it when it don't make no difference?

15. Reno_1ted

I was reffering more to the simple way of putting it. I like abguys summerised plan. Covers all bases in a simple manner :)

I think u will be ok to. :nod:

16. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

Gonna throw this out to anyone who wants to reply....kinda thinking outloud.

Been thinking about how Lee Priest does this nasty, dirty bulk in the off season, and comes out looking great before his comps.

Was wondering.... does the presence of just additional fat add to your ability to lift ?

Let's say you gained 30 lbs, and it was all fat. Is your lifting ability enhanced at all ?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out whether adding 30lbs quickly is the game, or slowly bulking up is the game.

If your body can only build about 1/2 pound of muscle a week, (1750 cals), then wouldn't bulking be limited to no more than 250 calories over maintenance per day...(1750 / 7)

If you bulk rapidly and gain 30 lbs in a month, what good is it ?

It's no good, in my opinion, unless that added fat helps you lift more, and therefore accelerates your mass building.

Hmmmm.....

17. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I see what you're saying, but you can definitely build more than .5 per week. It depends on the body and how efficient it is. I put on between 1 and 1.25#s per week in my first four weeks of Max-OT. This has tapered off though, and I'm putting on about .5 to .75 a week now. (I calculated properly by weight and BF% to get LBM change.)

That's cool. I go to max also but I recover quickly. I've been bulking for a couple months and I found this split useful so I thought I'd share it.

18. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I heard that back in the day Dorian Yates would blow up to 325 during the off season. But who can tell what the effect of steroids is on these guys' ability to cut hard without losing much muscle.

I think added fat does help to keep the joints lubricated and allow you to lift more. But adding too much makes the cutting that much harder and it seems like you worked pretty hard when you were cutting down.

19. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

Yup. I agree. You get up in pounds, just to cut it all away again ?

I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I tried this about 6 weeks ago, and it didn't work very well for me, but I think I bulked too quickly. At my age, my muscle building ability is somewhat limited as compared to someone like Chicanerous, so I think my excess calories also need to be limited. I'm going to start at 2830 per day, and go down from there if I need to.

20. Ludvig78

Bulk Challenge - Ludvig78's Journal

Hi!

First leg day after I started bulking. Probably lost some strength the last couple of weeks, but I think I will be ok. Really need to prio legs this year. Need to balance them out against the rest of the body. Had a pt friend setting up a hardcore leg workout. Will take it slow first couple of times but I am looking forwards to see the resluts in a couple of months. :)