1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Lower back pain

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by bluemonday, Jan 25, 2004.

1. bluemonday

bluemonday Well-Known Member

For the past month or so I have been half-heartedly been working out. I say half-heartedly because I do not have the time or the motivation right now to commit to a full schedule. This is relevant because I have not been working out as much as I should or could be to see maximum progress. I am also concentrating more on watching my diet.

Now, the problem is that after a workout, I get lower back pain, for a few days afterwards. This isn't ideal. Do I need to stretch more, or perform more back-friendly exercises (there are muscle groups I could work if I wanted to)?

I am (a) 17 and (b) not overweight and (c) I don't have any medical problems. It's worrying that I get back pain from what is only a medium-intensity workout. Is this something that will go away with time, or am I doing something wrong, missing something out, etc?

Thanks.

2. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

We'll need more info to help you. What has your workout looked like?

3. bluemonday

bluemonday Well-Known Member

Uh, just around 5 machines with fairly moderate weights, perhaps 2-3 sets of 10-12 reps. Nothing intense at all. A seated chest press, a leg extension, some bicep and tricep exercises and what I can only describe as a "pull-down" machine, similiar perhaps to a lat pull down. Some very intense rowing on the ergometer and 15 mins on a seated exercise bike too, for cardio.

Edit: around 4 times a week.

4. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

Work on developing your lower back. Take it easy and concentrate on form. You should probably cut the "intense rowing" and check your form on the pull-down machine to see if these exercises may be causing the problem.

If your lower back still hurts, and your form is OK and you're not using macho weights, then you may want to consult a doctor.

5. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

Are you just starting with the ergometer? If so, you may want to check your form. Alot of new rowers experience low back pain due to their form. Also, go to http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Lower+Back and add the Superman exercise to your routine. This exercise works wonders for my lower back. Good luck and Train Smart!

6. Glamdring

Glamdring Well-Known Member

I used to have lower back problems as well until I started working on my lower back. After doing only two weeks of Back Extensions the problem went away, and now I can even do deadlifts with no problem.

I don't have a link to the workout video site that I got from bodybuilding.com(it's on my work computer), but maybe one of the others can link that for you.

7. Mahdimael

Mahdimael Well-Known Member

The lower back is very important- don't neglect it. I tore a muscle in my lower back a few years ago playing football my my friends, and even today it can be sore in the morning. Definitely do the superman exercise. Also, try the "Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift" as described on bodybuilding.com. When I tore the muscle, I couldn't bend over without pain for about a month. And afterwards, I had to be very careful when I was lifting weights, until it was healed.

So do some preventative maintenance- strengthen up that back!

8. isjoeythere

isjoeythere Well-Known Member

I hurt my back several months ago. If I do deadlifts or anything now, the pain starts again. I herniated one of my disks, but with anti-anflamitory, muscle relaxers, and cortozone steroids perscribed by my doctor, I got the pain to subside to a dull roar, and finally stop. For a while though, whenever a took a step with my left leg, a terrible shooting pain went through my back. See your doctor, man.