1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Low end squat rack differences

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Eagle Tree, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

I purchased my Power Tec on a special that was mentioned here a few months ago. It's well built, has an excellent finish and the 449 I paid seemed very reasonable. A friend wanted to buy one and the price somehow jumped to over 700 at BB.com. Found only one place dropping as low as 500 on the net. I started looking at the other racks out there and noted there are some brands that are much cheaper. Power Line was one of them, couldn't find brand names on the others but some ran as low as $325. It doesn't look much different but they don't quote the thickness of the steel. Should I advise her to go with some of these cheaper brands or are they significantly worse than the Powertec (which I had thought WAS a lower end unit until I started searching around)? Anyone have experience with the Power Line or these other cheap units?

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

When I was in Canada I had a York 204 [Something like that model number] Not much over $200. I can't imagine most home users exceeding it's weight limits. It wasn't perfect. Shorter people I think would have problems with the bottom support not being low enough. It's not the easiest to adjust when loaded. No big deal I'd do squats and bench presses on different days. The design takes up a fair bit of room.

But safe and cheap. At least if are carefull when adjusting.

3. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

Thanks for the reply. The end result was that bb.com came up with the power rack at just above their original deal yet still below 500. The first call said they no longer carried it yet the second call said they did. She ended up getting the lat attachment too at a good price. I'm jealous. You confirm what I thought though, I doubt any of the lower end racks are using that heavy a steel and it still probably suffices till you get to serious weight. There are some exceptionally cheap prices out there.