1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Losing Fat

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Abbershay, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Abbershay

Abbershay Well-Known Member

I am wanting to lose fat as fast as possible. In my case it is easier to go without food than to just eat a little. I am going to give you a list of what i eat normally and please give me advice as to how much of it i can eat and lose fat fairly fast.

1. cabbage red and green

2. white rice with a little butter.

3.chicken breast.

4. brocolli

5. pasta with tomato

6. Eggs. Hard boiled and fried in coconut oil.

7. talapia fish steamed.

Drinks water some coffee and green tea nothing added.

These are the things i eat on a normal basis. I have been eating about 5 lbs of rice per week.

Thanks and dont laugh to hard at me ...

2. Nate Buesching

Nate Buesching Active Member

Hi there!
    You've come to the right place to learn about losing fat. In order to lose fat you have to create a caloric deficit for your body (A lb of fat is 3500 calories). This means you need to burn more calories than you put in it and you need to know how much your body burns just existing day to day. This will take a lot of self experimentation as we are all different, however there are some caloric need calculators out there that will get you close to the right number (I've used this one in the past http://www.naturalphysiques.com/64/zig-zag-calculator-for-fat-loss-andor-muscle-gain).

There are also a couple different ways to create deficits: Exercise & Diet. A combination of diet and exercise tends to be the best with the focus being on diet. There are a lot of stickies in this forum and in the beginner forums that should point you in the right direction if you need help with further details.

In regards to the foods you posted most of those look just fine to me, it's more important the quantity (Calories) that will dictate whether you lose weight.

"In my case it is easier to go without food than to just eat a little."

Have you tried looking into intermittent fasting? There are some different methods of going about it out there that might help you. I've found I'm able to control my hunger easier when I have larger meals and then abstain from food for a short time (16-24 hours) rather than eating small meals every 2-3 hours.

Best of luck in your journey!
    ~Nate

For more info about IF (intermittent fasting) you can head over and check out Martin Berkhan's leangains:
    http://www.leangains.com/

Also Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat
    http://bradpilon.com/

3. arold10

arold10 Member

From a biblical perspective fasting means praying for extended period of time without eating. What does that really mean from a diet perspective?

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

From a scientific perspective, fasting means going an extended period without eating. Everyone fasts everyday when they sleep. That is why the morning meal is called breakfast in english. It literally means to break your fast.

Intermittent fasting uses fasting to create a calorie deficit. Either going 16 to 20 hours every day without eating and eating for 4 to 8 hours a day or to skip eating one or two days a week and eating normally the other 5 or 6 days.

5. arold10

arold10 Member

I fully understand it now. Is intermittent fasting is a healthy thing to do while there are other alternatives that can be used?

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Several studies indicate that periodic fasting is very beneficial to overall health. It has something to do with the endocrine and hormone system.

From a weight loss or weight maintenance point of view, it is just a method some people prefer for limiting calories. Other people prefer 6 or more small meals.

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

It is just fine for health. In fact, some sources will say it is good for you, and that humans were did not evolve in world of constant food supplies, and thus fasting is, genetically, a part of our natural consumption cycle. By losing that, and living in a world of constant surplus (and having a genetic disposition for immediate gratification and consume-now-in-case-resources-are-scarce-later-), this lack of fasting is one of the primary causes of the obesity epidemic.

But that might be going a bit far.

However, if you want more info about intermittent fasting (IF), I recommend leangains.com and bradpilon.com. The authors of those sites are some of the most knowledgeable guys when it comes to biological aspects of fasting. They promote different diets, with Martin (from leangains.com) recommending a 16-hour daily fast, 8-hour feeding window, and Brad promoting taking one or two days a week and only eating one meal (either dinner or breakfast).

Both sites are full of the science behind fasting.

A great place to start, though, is Martin's post debunking many of the myths about fasting which lead people to think it bad or unhealthy.

Jaer
    fasts for SCIENCE!