1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Lose the FAT !

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by a4kenny, Dec 10, 2007.

1. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

I've posted a few times on JSF, and I thought it was about time I created my own Media Gallery and Journal.

My story.

I've always been a "husky" guy. Never really big, but definitely never skinny or lean. I was always kinda thick if you know what I mean. I always envied those who were lean and muscled. I've never had a desire to be too big and muscle bound, just leaner, stronger with some more muscle.

I always told myself that I'd start "soon" and I wouldn't have to worry about my physique. It would come naturally one day. Well one day, I was getting ready to go to work and I had to suck in my gut to get my pants done up. Alarm bells started going off in my head. It was time for action. Luckily I had a long period of vacation time coming up and I knew that I could devote some serious time and energy to learning about diet and training. I read Tom Venuto's BFFM and a light went off in my head.

My dietary habits were atrocious and I slowly started to adopt Tom's advice. But being a newbie it was a lot of info to take in at once. So I started eating more frequently, and eating only the "right" foods. I still hadn't figured out how many cals I needed or my macronutrient ratios but it was a step in the right direction. Then after a couple of weeks I got really serious and worked out a calorie and macronutrient plan also. My daily cals are 2200 and I drink at least a gallon of water a day. My macros are 25%fat, 35% carbs and 45% protein. The carbs are low because I want to kickstart the fat burning and I suspect I am somewhat carb-sensitive. I am also using calorie and carb tapering and this week started calorie zig-zag, still averaging 2200 cals a day.

From day 1 I started hitting the gym. Cardio was/is 6 days a week LISS 35-45 minutes. Now I've added some HIIT to the mix. Treadmills are hard on my knees, and something about the full rotation of the pedals on the bike make this thing click in my left knee ( and makes me a cripple for the next day ), so I stick with the elliptical machine.

Weight program is straight out of BFFM. I've always kinda putzed around in the gym the few times I went, so the full body routine 3 days a week is still challenging but I know I will have to change this up soon as it's getting stale fast. A real concerted effort at developping a real plan is really needed here as I feel this is the weakest part of my program.

When I first weighed mysef I was 197 lbs, 5'9". I'm 36 and not getting any younger. At my last weigh in I was 188.5 lbs. Online BF% estimators say I'm 21-23% BF but I suspect it is higher than that.

My goal is to get to 170 lbs for March 1st and have a BF% in the 12-14% range.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics when i first started. I finally got around to it tonight. I know i have a long way to go to hit my goal but I'm very motivated. Maybe even a little obsessed. Does that go away ?

I'll post more pics along the way...

Any comments, advice,... are GREATLY appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. goonie

goonie Active Member

BFFM is a great approach. Waist goes down, strength goes up.

It's all about recomposing your body for the better, without starving yourself, and without becoming obsessed over "weight loss". Less fat, more strength, better performance, and maybe a little extra muscle during your initial transformation.

I don't see any reason from your pictures or stats to think your online BF% estimates are too low.

Go get em' Kenny. :tu:

3. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

so work called me out of town unexpectedly for the past 2 days. yesterday was a rest day. still hit my nutrition targets yesterday. luckily i found a supermarket near the hotel and bought some veggies and meat, and cooked at a colleague's house.

today was to be a resistance training day and no gym to be found. so i did a body weight routine i got from another site.

although it sounds easy, it kicked my ass.

3 rounds of 3 supersets with 1 minute rest between each superset.

S1 20 pushups
    S1 20 body weight squats

S2 20 rows using my laptop bag loaded with everything i could fit in it
    S2 20 stationary lunges

S3 20 burpees
    S3 45 seconds plank

the last superset really did me in. and the plank was a real killer.

back home tomorrow, so I'll hit the gym and do my weigh in. gonna do 25 hiit treadmill or elliptical.

all done in less than 30 mins, but at pretty high intensity

when you're on the road you gotta make do with what's available...

4. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

so back home today and hit the gym.

26 mins of hiit elliptical. got my heart rate up real good for the intervals. 185 during the high intervals and 165 during the moderate intervals.

hit the steam room and shower and did my weekly weigh in.

good news. dropped 2.1 lbs this week.

weight down to 186.4

tomorrow back to the weights...

5. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

heading to the gym tonight for my resistance training then back home to bed early as I gotta go out of town early tomorrow morning for 2 days. but i've planned well and cooked most of the meals i'll need til i return.

my new favourite recipe

4 oz chicken breast
    3/4 cup brown rice
    4 oz green beans

and chopped up and stir fried together with olive oil cooking spray in the pan ( short burst ) and some soy sauce, and pepper. chicken green bean fried rice.

fits perfectly in my little containers.

410 cals
    40 gr protein
    46 gr carbs
    6 gr fat plus some extra from the olive oil.

perfect for the road, with lean protein, good starchy carbs, fibrous carbs and essential fats.

the hotel where i'm staying has a great gym so i'll be able to bang out my cardio there no problem tomorrow.

6. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

so went for my weekly weigh in today and it came in EXACTLY the same as last week, 186.4.

I don't know how I should feel. I know it's my fault as I missed 2 days of training due to work constraints and poor planning. Also I had 2 cheat meals on 2 consecutive days. And some of my snacking probably didn't help.

gotta recommit to stay totally clean on my diet and stick to my training regimen.

looking for better results next week...

7. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Kenny, don't sweat the intermediate results. You could be retaining water from excess sodium in your cheat meals.
    If you look at my signature below, you will see that over a months time I only lost 3lbs... However, the bodyfat measurements demonstrated that I lost 8 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of lean mass. A lot of the lean mass can be attributed to newbie gains and added water due to creatine...

You are off to a good start. Keep eating clean and exercising... you will start seeing the difference in the mirror.

-

8. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

thanks for the words of encouragement...

i'm gonna keep strong and stick to my plan and not worry about the scale...

although my weight didn't change, the pants are still looser than last week... :D

9. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

Yeah don't sweat the scale, trust your mirror (but don't sweat that either :lol:)

You're off to a great start man. BFFM is an excellent way to go. :tu:

10. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

If you ask me, that beats weight loss. That means you are essentially "culking" ;)

11. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

so went to the gym for my hiit cardio toaday, and re-weighed myself...

184.4. so down 2 pounds from last week. so my 186.6 yesterday must've been water weight as hypothesized by some...

I know I shouldn't be considered with scale weight too much but it still put a smile in my face. I was considering making some changes thinking maybe I had plateaued but I think I'll just stick with what I'm doing.

12. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

after some consideration and good results so far, I've decided to take the plunge and take advantage of swole's promotion and start sgx...

the testimonials and results of others here have really inspired me...

13. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

weight down to 178.2 today !:D

14. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

Way to go a4kenny!! :tu:

The doubletakes in the mirror are really strange eh? You're like "wha... that's me?" :confused::eek:

Be like the energizer bunny about it, just keep going and going and going...

15. a4kenny

a4kenny Active Member

pic from today

Attached Files:

16. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:claphigh: great work!!!