1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Lose 3lbs a week until August

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by mustbesix, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

For right now this is a challenge to get to 190 by August between Mahke and myself, but anyone who has a similar goal is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Both of us are about 260lbs and want to get to 190 by our birthdays in August. If we start on March 1st that means there are 23 weeks to lose 70lbs by August 1. That's about 3lbs per week. It won't be easy but challenges aren't supposed to be.

My idea is to do a check-in the first Saturday of every month. Whoever makes the most progress that month gets to choose the avatar of any losers for the next month. Something that will embarrass and motivate the losers to work harder. I also think the losers should have to use a signature touting the awesomeness of the person who had the best month. This is going to be very difficult so hopefully a monthly check-in will help keep motivation high.

2. Mahke

Mahke Active Member

:lol: I didn't know about the avatar and signature requirements before agreeing to this, but I'm in :) 3lbs a week is a hefty amount, but we are hefty folk (for now!). Even if we only make it halfway, it'd still be awesome!

3. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

:D. It just came to me when I was typing up the challenge. I know people are supposedly motivate by either a carrot or a stick, but I figure both are even better. Carrot=weight loss and health, Stick=being shamed for a month. The shame should just be more motivation. I say we post our official weigh in on March 1 so others can join if they like, but I'm going to do everything I can to get started now. I've already decided what I'm going to do for March and it's going to be brutal.

4. Mahke

Mahke Active Member

Care to share?? ;)

5. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Velocity Diet. It's probably going to suck, but I get more motivation out of instant gratification and the negatives don't seem too severe if you do it properly.

It's a month on that then a few weeks of gradually adjusting back to something more sustainable to keep from piling the weight back on. I've had very good success in the past on low carb so I'll be transitioning from Velocity to the Anabolic Diet. I plan to be in a transition phase between Velocity & Anabolic for most of April then fully into Anabolic by the first part of May. As of right now I plan to be on the Anabolic Diet through our challenge. Once I get about 190 or whatever I can achieve by September 1st I plan to re-evaluate and hopefully maintain bodyweight through the end of the year with a focus on building strength.

That's the plan. I think it should work well, but it all comes down to execution.

6. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I'm just checking in to make sure you're still with me Mahke. I just realized we have two weeks until the official start date. I thought this was the last week of February for some reason.

7. Mahke

Mahke Active Member

I'm here and waiting :)

8. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Cool... I've decided to start Velocity a week early because I'm bored and this weekend seems like as good a time as any. It will probably benefit you though since I will lose any water weight I'm carrying before we officially start on March 1st. I will post my weight this Saturday and every weekend until August.

9. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

:dance::dance:

Officially starts in two days. :gl:

10. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Today is day 1.

Starting Weight: 266 lbs

11. Big_Simon

Big_Simon Active Member

I'm in starting weight is 274.3.

Anyone want to race?? LOL

Bring on the good weather!:cool:

12. Mahke

Mahke Active Member

Woohoo!

My diet has been crap the last two days. This morning I weighed in at 19 stone, which is 266lbs.

Let the party begin :D

13. Bambam07

Bambam07 Well-Known Member

Perfect

I was going to the challenge forum to do something similar- something for the they guy who has (well put by the way) been bulking for way too long. I am in. August 2nd I go back to CT to visit my family who have not seen me in what will be a year so what better way to show up then in shape for once in my life.

Starting weight - 230bs
    Ending Weight - 160bs - Then I can do a real Bulk :tucool:

14. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I'm excited that two more people are in. That should just make it that much more exciting and add even more motivation.

For the new guys. I don't know if you saw this or not from my earlier post, but I thought I would point it out again and see what everyone thinks. It's not a necessary part of the challenge if you would rather not, but it might be a little more a kick in the butt. I'm down for it, but tell me what you think.

:evil: :evil:

15. Mahke

Mahke Active Member

Bambam, welcome dude! Your deadline is the day before mine (my birthday) - let's do it :cool:

16. Bambam07

Bambam07 Well-Known Member

Thanks man- good to be in a challenge with similar goal people- I mean I love John Stone and all but its been a long time since he and a lot of the regulars here had to really drop the weight so I say lets do this together and in August we can be those guys who need (oh the agony) to eat 3000 calories.

I did see the repercussions for the losers and I am down with it!! So April 5th will be our first month weigh in?? That means there is 5 weeks before then so its 15 lbs (or more) to get bragging rights and avoid a month of avatar hell.

17. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Yup April 5th is the first Saturday of April so it looks like we're having a 5 week month.

:gl:

18. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

BTW, you've been making really good progress Simon. Hopefully by August we can get the name change to Not_So_Big_Simon.

19. Big_Simon

Big_Simon Active Member

LOL Thanks I'm hoping that by the time I'm done I'll be able to say that the big part is the quantity of muscle on my frame rather than the fat.

5 weeks eh... well I'm shooting for 30lbs since that's my scheduled end date to my cutting diet.

20. Echo

Echo Active Member

Hmm i've been looking for a challenge to join for a few months now.... I think people are motivated enough in this one to at least stay with it through the summer! Aug 3 is my Birthday so that will be my target! I've gained 20 pounds since Dec.... So I'm at 235 this morning..... Biggest I've been in 2 years! I'm going to be doing a lower carb diet, around 60-80 grams a day. I've done diets with much lower carb ammounts, but they were too difficult to stick with for more than a few weeks. Just recieved my home gym so hopefully that will motivate me! My target weight BTW: 190. Thats 45 lbs... And the Avatar idea is GREAT! Maybe i'll take some really bad pictures of myself (within reason) to offer as a losing avatar! ugh!