1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Lose 20 LBS 1st Quarter 06 Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by TarSeal, Jan 3, 2006.

1. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

I plan on losing 20 pounds this quarter. Anyone else with me?

Post your starting weight and a pic (if you want.) We can try to keep each other on track.

Starting weight 210 on 1/4. Goal: 190 by 4/1.

Pic:

Attached Files:

#1 TarSeal, Jan 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  2. HeavyGuy

HeavyGuy Well-Known Member

Oh what the hell :). Only hours after I posted that I want to avoid dated goals, I'll join this challenge! It seems reasonable, and it will bring me to my big mid-term goals of 200 lbs. Sometimes dated goals and challenges are just to fun to pass up :).

This morning the new scale said 220 lbs so I'll use that as my starting weight. The goal is to reach 200 lbs by April. Here is my starting pic:

[​IMG]

Ignore the curvy spine. It's from a back injury that I'm getting over and will be gone by April :).

Cheers and good luck,
    Heavy

3. TarSeal

Awesome! Thanks for joining me HG. We have 13 weeks counting this one, so that's about 1.5 pounds per week. We can do it!:D

4. Dusho

Dusho Well-Known Member

5. Dusho

Dusho Well-Known Member

Given that we have a defined time limit, how about we make it a bit more interesting:

We all check-in once a week with stats/pictures, winner for the week (say, biggest decrease in bodyfat % or fat pounds) gets bragging rights for that week. The winner must defend his title and others try to take the title away the following week.

6. HeavyGuy

HeavyGuy Well-Known Member

Aside from weight, I'll not be taking any other measurements or pictures more often than the beginning of each month. The reason for this, is I find that weekly is too short of a time span to show any real progress. When I look at a picture of myself today compared to a picture of myself a week ago I find the lack of change psychologically demotivating, and get frustrated. Measurement changes are too small as well. The changes in waistline for example that occur over a week's time are small and can just as easily be attributed to inconsistant measurements. I think you'll also find the same problem with weekly body fat measurments. A month is a perfect time frame to be able to judge progress though in my experience. Several months is even better!

This may be different for others, but it is not a good idea for me for these reasons. I do weigh myself every morning though, so I could happily report weekly changes in that aspect if we decide to do so.

Cheers,
    Heavy

7. TarSeal

Welcome Dusho!

All right, so far we've got:

Travis at 210, going for 190.
    Dusho at 218, going for 198.
    HGuy at 220, going for 200.

Cool.

I'll post weekly weigh in #'s, but I'll probably wait until the end for a pic.:tu:

8. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

I'd love to join you guys but I still have 5 pounds to gain before I want to lose 20. I'm afraid my timing will be off for this challenge. Good luck to you all.:tu:

9. Dusho

Dusho Well-Known Member

Nice summary Travis. Ok so we'll make it just based on weight, a weekly measurement of what the scale says (given this challenge is "lose 20 lbs in 1st quarter.") What day/time of the week should we make our weigh-in? I'm open to any day.

And we've got three people in the challenge. Anyone else wanna partake in a friendly rivalry? Cmonnnn, chickens!! :bb:

10. senimoni

senimoni Well-Known Member

I'm in...my actual goal is 25 lbs....don't know about pictures though. LOL

11. TarSeal

Welcome senimoni! We're rooting for you pic or not.

As for the weigh ins, I think I'll probably usually go with my Sunday morning weight, but I think you can do it whenever is convenient. The main thing is to lose 1.5 lbs per week to reach 20 lbs by April 1st. Weighing in and posting the number will help us to keep on track, and give us something to cheer for each other about.

This is so unnatural for me to not procrastinate until the last minute about something... you simply cannot do that with weight loss.:lol:

12. Dusho

Dusho Well-Known Member

Awesome, welcome aboard senimoni. No pics required, just consistent weigh-ins, on Sundays? We can then keep track of everyone's progress.

And then there were 4. :claphigh:

13. TarSeal

I was 209 this morning... watch out!:D

14. Dusho

Dusho Well-Known Member

216.8 (-1.2) Travis, boo ya! :lol:

I know, I know, water weight. :lol:

15. rapp

rapp Well-Known Member

Count me in. I weighed in at 298 on Monday morning. I can't do any lifting until I get my arm fixed, so this will be mostly from diet and cardio.

16. TarSeal

Great! 298-278. You've got that.:tu:

17. rapp

rapp Well-Known Member

From the looks of it, I've got the easiest challenge so far. We need some more real big guys (6'5" here)

18. TarSeal

I like your attitude. It's gonna be easy for me too!:flex:

19. rapp

rapp Well-Known Member

The first 20 to drop are easy. It's the next 20 that are more difficult:jumping:

20. TarSeal

Not in my case because I got so much stronger during the loss of the first 20, I'm like a fat burning furnace right about now. I'm gonna lose these 20 in 13 weeks vs. 20 weeks for the 1st 20.