1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

looking for a heavy compound routine

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by matt of kent, Jun 6, 2008.

1. matt of kent

matt of kent Active Member

i just finished another year at uni so now i am back at home which means i have to go and join a new gym. Im looking for a more compound focused routine then i did for my bulk where my exercises were a bit limited. So instead of fishing around looking for a routine i'll let you guys do the work :)

some stats... 19, 6ft, 180lbs, just finished a 7 week bulk, diet is in order, and now doing a 6-7 week slow cut until my holiday, where after i plan to do another bulk.

ta.

2. Rise

Rise Active Member

I can't think of any routines without a lot of focus on compounds :confused:

You could just make up a 4 day split
    You could do ABBH
    You could do TBT
    You could head over to crossfit

I really can't think of any legitimate exercise programs that don't focus on compounds.

3. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, 8x8, Madcow... EXrx has a great push, pull, leg split that I used for awhile.

4. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

BB Squat - one set of 8-12 reps
    BB Deadlift - One set of 8-12 reps
    BB Shoulder Press - one set of 8-12 reps
    BB Bent over row - 0ne set of 8-12 reps
    BB Bench Press - one set of 8-12 reps

Do as many reps as possible until failure. If you can not complete 8 reps, decrease weight by 5% next workout. If you can complete 12 reps or more, increase weight 5% next workout. Rest 60 sec between sets. All reps should be done in a slow and controlled manner with a 3 sec up and 3 sec down cadence.

You should complete workout in about 10-11 minutes. If done as instructed, it should be all you need. But If for some reason you want to do cardio, always perform it after weight training. The clock is running. Three days a week, you could increase strength about 20% in 6 weeks and you could gain 5 lbs of muscle. Always remember do as many reps as possible in good form, each exercise.

At home 5 days a week do one set of crunches using a 10 sec up and 5 sec down cadence. Your abs should be under tension for 15 sec each rep. Go to failure. If you exceed 12 reps next workout add 10 lbs weight, held at chest.

Diet for bulk, 2800 calories, increase them 100 calories each week so you are 3500 during 6th week.

#4 RTE, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  5. matt of kent

@rtestes

that workout looks very appealing as i am starting a very active job come monday and i really like the idea of only spending 12minutes in the gym!

it looks pretty intense though! im gnna try it monday for 6 weeks and post my results.

what is the idea behind this workout though, i mean can you give me any background info on it?

cheers :tucool:

6. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

It is a high intensity workout or HIT. The rep format and cadence causes a triple progression. You are increasing (1) Time under tension, (2) Reps, (3) increasing weight. The cadence increases your time under tension, but it also help you maintain a safe non-ballistic movement, helping to prevent muscle tears.

Going to failure assures you have gotten the most out of your muscle, you aren't saving anything back for more sets. You have gotten max contraction from your muscle.

Your short rest period will bring about a cardio effect on your body. The normal rest periods and fast rep speeds, a person can spend more time resting then they do exercising.

Of course, cutting workout times while getting a fully effective workout leaves you time for a real life. I enjoy working out but I like other facets of life even more where I can enjoy the body exercise provides.

A compound exercise is simply one that involves multiple joints. You bring more muscles into play. I provided you a totally compound exercise routine because that is what you ask for. Isolation exercises have their place in any exercise program, so do this one for 6 weeks then move to a balance in your exercises.:tucool:

#6 RTE, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  7. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

Wouldn't you want to do shoulders last as they are the smallest muscle of the group here?

8. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I moved it where I put it because I didn't want two pressing movements in a row. I also consider shoulders and traps as one body part making them larger than chest. the abbreviated routine didn't give me moving room without isolation moves. Normally I would put workouts in a legs and hips, back, shoulders and traps, chest, arms and abs order.

Both the press and the bench press put a lot of effort on the triceps.

9. matt of kent

thanks rtestes for the info and workout plan

really looking forward to this!

10. matt of kent

I tried this workout today with my bro and have never sweated so much lifting ever, the sweat was just dripping off of me. I wouldn't say the workout went too great though as i've just started and getting a feel for the 3sec up and 3sec down reps, need time adjusting for that and need to get the weights right, and i don't like having to lower the weights right down :D but i know i have too!

The gym i joined was not great, the free weight section was very clustered, unorganised and the equipment seemed pretty old, i will have to make do though.

i couldn't do the abs crunch's like you asked rtestes, it was more like 5secs up 3secs down, though i feel i worked them hard enough, i was shaking alot, breathing heavily and my abs really did burn afterwards.

11. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

You just have to get used to it. Just think you are probably keeping your muscles under tension 3 times as long as you used to. When it becomes second nature, the strength you will obtain from one set done as instructed will see you quickly progress. Then when you sling them around fast as you demonstrate strength by 1maxreps you will see why I said I guess 20-30% increase in 6 weeks.

By the way what did you not reach 8 reps on? And what did you exceed 12 reps on? Were you using your old 3 set weight for one HIT set?

I bet you probably didn't feel like that after 30 reps of normal crounchs? Keep it up, those abs will pop out in 6 weeks.

The sweat sounds good, keep it up. Did you get finished in 12 minutes or so? :bb:

#11 RTE, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  12. matt of kent

i was a bit over 12mins more like 15 - 17mins, but that was more due to me not knowing my way around the new gym i have joined, im sure next time it will be closer to 12mins :)

YES!! the crunch's definately hurt me, i could really feel my abs working the whole time, im doing this workout with my bro and after he finished his crunch's he just said "fuck me" lol, he was sooo red in the face, he is use to doing regular situps and loads of reps!!

the squats i exceded 12 reps, i loaded the bar quite low because i have never really done squats without a smith machine, so i wanted to cautious with the barbell and see how it went.

The deadlift was 8 reps, though my form needs work i think, its the first time i have done deads so im gnna lower the weight a bit next time and try to perfect my form.

The BB shoulder press was 5 reps gnna have to lower this next time, i lowered the weight only a little bit to what i would normally lift because it was more convenient to only put 2 plates on to the bar rather than 4 or 6, bit of a mistake!

The bent over rows, was 10 reps, first time i did this exercise and feel i did it quite well actually.

And lastly the bench was only 6 reps, im pretty sure my gym has heavier bars than i have used before!! and i did lower the weight to what i would normally lift for this routine.

I don't think i complied consistantly with the 3sec up and down rep speed, i tried my best but i definately went 2sec up and down sometimes, still got to adjust to this style of lifting, ill get there by next week im sure!

13. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

If your cutting i'd suggest some HIIT type work after your sessions. Afterall, there only 15-20min. :)

If we could get in good shape with only a hour a week i really believe the fitness industry would of caught on and followed the natural course.

14. matt of kent

I could do but i think ill stick to non workout days to do my cardio, my legs don't feel like running after the squats and deads :)

15. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Yeah that's for sure. HIIT type work is even harder after strength training. However, if you can do it you will have more rest days or be able to do more sessions of HIIT.

A personal decision IMO, i do it after training sometimes and/or on off days.

It all comes down to work. IMO.

16. BartGA

BartGA Active Member

If you're doing a real HIT workout - miximum intensity to failure - there would be no way to perform HIIT cardio afterwards. The workout serves as your cardio often times. Moving between exercises with little to no rest...

17. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

What about a new lifter?

Most will hardly lift 12 for 150lbs? I doubt he couldn't do some metabolic type work after that....

18. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

He is 6' and 180 lbs on a slow cut. I think when he starts building muscle and increasing strength. He will actually maintain his weight and replace what little fat he might have with more compact muscle. He doesn't need to do a non-muscle building activity like HIIT. He will increase metabolism with more active muscle. Remember our body burns 60-85% of our calories while at rest in the BMR.

So I would like to see him finish the 6 weeks weighting 175-180lbs and picking up about 5lbs of muscle. He hasn't talked diet yet.:bb:

19. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Lets see.

So what do you suggest a regular and fit person to do the other 167 hours in 7 days? Recover?

20. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

No, enjoy life. At 19, I am sure he has many things to do beside doing cardio. I sure as hell did, didn't you. He hasn't mentioned any pressing reason to get down to 4% body fat or doing a 600lb deadlift or a marathon.

I am sure he was breathing heavy and his heart was pumping when he finished his 17 min workout. That sounds like a cardio effect. As he progresses with more weight, he should see more results.:tucool: