1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Look at my protein source...

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by don_1987, Jan 14, 2005.

1. don_1987

don_1987 Well-Known Member

When you're trying to calculate the foods your consuming, it can be really damn hard and frustrating! Ok, so here's the deal, my favourite protein source are canned fish, and I can eat about 5 cans per day. Is it okay to consume that much, a can is about 5.5 oz (net weight labeled). I assume that a can has around 20-35 grams of protein. Am I correct?

Now comes the frustrating part, This favourite canned food of mine, "Mackerel/Salmon in natural oil"... it doesn't have the nutrition labeled. So I have to look at the site to find but damn, there are so many type of mackerel/salmon out there. How am I supposed to calculate the value if I don't know which type of fish I'm eating? Have any opinions, suggestions?

The ingredients, the ingredients listed are only fish(mackerel/salmon), salt and water so it's pretty healthy right? When they say "in natural oil" what does it means? (By the way, I drained the oil first).

2. don_1987

Oh, and one more thing, my predictions...

"Fish in natural oil", 5.5 oz has around 31 g of protein, and if it's a fatty fish, has around 8-9 g of fats, am I correct?

"Sardines in tomato sauce", a 6 oz has a label of 6g of carb 21g of protein and 6g of fats. (Around 160 kcal) Can I trust this?

Guys, I'm asking these stuffs because this are mostly the foods I consume 4-5 times daily, so basically, it can build or destroy my diet. So I really need to know whether it's good or bad for me.

I'm not saying that these are my only protein source, I do add eggs, chicken and etc.. but these source are the most convinience I can find. Just open a can, add some rice and that's it... Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

3. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

If you're trying to lose weight, get fish in spring water! Who knows what "natural oil" is. WD40? :lol:

4. jgmx

jgmx Well-Known Member

indeed^^

I would get in water instead of oil, also becareful with the cholesterol. You can also eat egg beaters, thats like 24gm of protein in 1 cup, or some chicken breast which is like 30-40gms. All the whey protein comes with 25gms.

good luck

5. ucbgsr

ucbgsr Well-Known Member

the only problem with eating too much fish is the amount of mercury can add up

6. don_1987

I'm supposing that ''natural oil'' means it the oil that occurs naturally from the fish itself... Am I wrong? And by the way, how do they cook canned fish? My mom told me they pressure cooked it, is this true?

7. Brian Golden

Brian Golden Well-Known Member

I eat tuna everyday. Look at how much fish John eats. How much is too much mercury? I personally doubt that the mercury found in fish is large enough to cause damage to a human, unless their diet consists of 100% fish.

8. daDUDE

daDUDE Well-Known Member

it is... but it takes years to add up but it will destroy ur brain if u have too much... these studies on the news arnt so make u parannoyed.. if they were not true they would never come out... they hurt the fish industry..which would i bet my life would be willing to stop stories on the news about tuna containing mercury... but even the governemnt...which basicly doesn't do anything (about food) said its bad...

9. don_1987

After I measured the fish out of the can, it only weighted 3 oz and not 5.5 oz like the labeled said. Anyway, I'm only consuming a maximum amount of 3 cans a day, that would be 9 oz or fish daily (at most). So I think that's not too much...