1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Longtime lurker, first time poster

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Denjario, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Denjario

Denjario Active Member

Howdy folks,

I've been lurking on the site forever and a day. I even went so far as to sign up three years ago (I know, that's a long-ass time to do nothing in). I hadn't done anything worth while with my health until last year, when I started welding. Since then, I've been bouncing back and forth from fit to unfit. I used to live a sedentary life before becoming a welder, but I was just laid off from my second job as a welder last month and noticed I was getting a bit soft in the middle just from the lack of work. Within the past month, I've been eating healthy and exercising (just started at the gym last week and can't get enough of it).

At my peak last year, I was 215 lbs at 5'10" still a bit chubby but I was in fairly good shape, down a pant size and was pretty toned in the arms, legs and back. I lost all that hard earned health after losing my first welding job and I managed to bounce back up to 245 just around christmas (had a bout of depression, kind of gave up on a lot of things, but I shook myself out of it and I'm feeling good mentally, just need to match that physically). I lost some of that and was at 238 when I started eating healthy and working out again. I've since managed to get back down to 231 as of today.

I'm primarily going to be using this site for advice on different aspects of fitness as I am a complete noob. I did some weight training in high-school, so I have the basics of how to do the exercises, now I just need to get the actual exercise plan down.

Currently, I am doing cardio on the recumbent and upright bike. Due to shin splints, I can't do the treadmill for long periods of time, so I focus on the bikes for now (I'm also kinda klutzy when it comes to the elliptical, I always want to fall off, lol). I do this daily, as I just enjoy it, but I have no real clue as to what my goals should be for that, so I'm probably going to focus on that.

For weight training, I'm doing basic circuit machines for now after having a back injury last week. I find that these are helping a lot already without aggravating my injury. I'm healing and getting stronger in the process.

My goal is to be able to meet Canadian Military JTF-2 fitness ( https://www.cfpsa.com/en/AboutUs/PSP/DFIT/Fitness/Documents/JTF%20Pre-Fitness%20Manual%20ENG.pdf ) as I feel that is a decent goal to set. I am more focused on strength and endurance training as they apply more to my job as a welder than anything else (lifting 50-75 lbs of steel constantly, moving around a lot, working in a very hot environment). Looking good would be excellent, but I don't necessarily need a "competition body" to be where I need to be. If it's a side-effect, then cool, but if I can maintain my ideal weight, endurance and strength, I'll be happy.

Man... what a ramble, sorry for the tl;dr chunk. But thanks for having such a great forum to get the advice I need without from experienced people without needing to shell out a ton of cash.

2. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

Hey there! Just saying hi to a fellow Canuck. Are you ex military? JTF-2 is reasonably obscure ;-)

If you can manage it with your back, I find nothing works the body and your aerobic capacity like a rower such as the concept c2. If they have those in your gym, give it a go.

3. jasarsenault

jasarsenault Active Member

Hello fellow Canucks!

Sounds like a good start Denjario!

4. Denjario

Denjario Active Member

Nope, just well apprised of military history in Canada. Have a few friends in the forces, but I never enlisted. I was looking up Canadian fitness standards to set as a goal and that just kind of popped up in my google searches, lol. I figured, go hard or go home, so that's my long term goal.

We have a rower at the Y I'm at, and it's pretty awesome. I had a chance to use it before I was bedridden with stomach flu. The rower was one of the best workouts I've done and I plan to go back to it once I'm able to. Right now, I'm just doing recumbent stationary for cardio and a bit of circuit training to keep my body going, I'm still feeling the after effects of the illness though, but it's not keeping me from going to the gym, I'm just taking it easy.

I've come up with a workout plan (thanks to a couple of iOS apps that have been keeping track of my progress) that includes that rower and I can't wait to give it a shot. Probably Monday.

Thanks! It's a good start and I hope that I don't lose momentum. This forum helps keep my mind in the game though, so it's pretty solid.