1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

LoneStarChick

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by LoneStarChick, Jul 25, 2008.

1. LoneStarChick

LoneStarChick Well-Known Member

(I couldn't think of a clever thread title like the rest of y'all!)

Over the last three months I have gained 20 lbs. Beer. Sweet beer...and all the food I ate when I was buzzed and laughing and not paying attention to (and not caring about) what I was eating. Hey, I was having fun! The way my pants would fit me the next day never crossed my mind. So, in three months I have managed to out-grow all of my clothes. Ugh. Lately, I look in the mirror and see a fat, disgusting person, and I feel like that's all I'll ever be. After THREE MONTHS!! I can't believe it took so short a time for me to write myself off! My avatar is me about 10 lbs into my weight gain. I'm waaaay too embarrassed to post any pics of me as I am now. Right now, all I want is to be back in my clothes. I can't believe I let this happen.

Well, this chick needs some accountability. It's easy enough to go day to day without anyone knowing I binged again because I was depressed about being overweight (because that makes all the sense in the world, right? :rolleyes:), but it's time that ends. So, now I'm going to write down everything that passes these lips if it kills me! I'll also write down what I do at the gym.

I feel so inept in this area, though. I am intimidated. I know where to start because of this forum, but I have so much to learn. Plus, I am embarrassed to go work out. I feel like I should lose the weight before I go to the gym because everyone there looks so fit. I feel like I stand out...the fat girl.

Well, not for long, baby!

2. Rise

Rise Active Member

Everyone starts somewhere, I think that may be the point of this website after all (look at John). If he can go from where he was to where he is now, you can do the same.

You have another thing that most people at the gym don't know about, you have somewhere to go if you have questions. I hope it goes well for you, just make sure you stay committed. :gl:

3. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

4. LoneStarChick

Haha!! I love it. That's true. The members of this forum are so encouraging and helpful! It's an invaluable resource.

Thank you! That is an awesome way to look at it. It's all in your perspective, isn't it? I just need to quit worrying about what other people think.

Well, Day One didn't go as planned. I had a planned meal for work, but I didn't eat it. Then I came home late, about 10:15 pm, and I was so hungry! My family had made teriyaki chicken, and I ate a whole bowl of it. Ugh. I had left my lighter meal at work. So, I ate very late, and it included a lot of rice, albeit brown rice. My calories were much higher than I wanted. ALL ON MY FIRST STINKIN' DAY!!

I have to say, though, that I realized just how much I have been eating. There were so many times throughout the day when I didn't eat something only because I didn't want to have to tell y'all about it. :o I can only imagine how many more calories it normally adds to my diet every day.

My biggest struggle is late at night. I usually get home from work after 11:00 pm, and this is the time I see my husband. He works days, and I work nights and weekends. So, he leaves before I am up for the day, and I see him when I get home after 11 pm. That is when we would stay up even later talking or watching movies and drinking beer and eating. We've been doing it for about three months, and I'm starting to realize that that's long enough to form some pretty serious habits! Before that, I wouldn't have thought of eating that late, let alone the kinds and amounts of foods I began consuming.

Anyway, here are my results for yesterday:

MEAL 1:
    Kashi Go Lean Bar: Chewy; Peanut Butter and Chocolate

MEAL 2:
    4 Large Egg Whites
    1/3 c Shredded Cheese
    2 oz Mushrooms
    1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil

MEAL 3:
    1 c Low-Fat Cottage Cheese

MEAL 4:
    Kashi Go Lean Bar: Chewy; Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

MEAL 5:
    Package Peanuts

MEAL 6:
    1 C Brown Rice, cooked
    Teriyaki Chicken & Veggies w/ Soy Sauce:
    1/3 c Carrots, chopped
    1/4 c Mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 oz Chicken Thigh
    3 T Lawry's Teriyaki Sauce
    2 T Soy Sauce

CALORIES: 1762
    FATS: 68
    SAT. FATS: 22
    CARBS: 193
    FIBER: 22
    SUGARS: 94
    PROTEIN: 103

EXERCISE: 25 mins Treadmill, 20 mins Elliptical, Fasted, AM

#4 LoneStarChick, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Good luck LoneStarChik! Go kick some....did you say beer?:drool: Oh, sorry I got a little distracted:drool:....butt in the gym you can do it!:D

6. LoneStarChick

Ah...a man after my own heart. :lol: I have to say, I didn't have any alcohol yesterday!! Not that that is a big deal by itself, but my husband was drinking. AND I STILL DIDN'T!! (I was annoyed and irritable like hell, but I still didn't drink...one small victory!)

So, I just weighed in, and I lost a pound. How in the world???

7. jchantelau

:claplow: That's a great victory! Keep it going!

8. LoneStarChick

Why, thank you, thank you very much!!

Well, I just had another victory. I exercised this morning. I didn't want to SO BADLY that I was angry the whole time. I actually stopped the treadmill once, got off, and got right back on. Then ten minutes later I started lowering the incline so I could get off, and I raised it right back up and kept going. I WAS SO MAD, THOUGH!! :mad: I wanted off! I didn't want to be in the gym working out! I kept thinking, "This will be my day off this week. It's Sunday! Isn't this supposed to be a day of rest?!?" Plus, the treadmill is right in front of the pool, and there were people just lounging around sunbathing. AHHHH!!!! But I did it. 45 minutes at 3.5 mph w/ a 4 degree incline. Ugh. I'm just glad it's over. I don't even really feel a sense of accomplishment. I'm sure I will at some point, but for now I'm on to my next struggle: going to work and watching everyone eat fast food while I eat veggies, cottage cheese, etc. I know this will get easier, but for now I'm just moody.

Gosh, I just griped and complained, didn't I? Yeesh. Sorry.:o

9. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Hang in there! It will get easier! So far....you're doing great!!!:tucool:

10. jchantelau

:lol: Not laughing at you...just laughing because I've had those days and in fact yesterday I was in a similar mood. Keep working hard and it will pay off for you. You're right...it will get better.:D

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I love the name of your thread. That is what made me want to read it.

I made that mistake also. I worked out at a gym, but I only did cardio, I was intimidated by weights. I didn't really understand the process of gaining muscle. I thought once I lose weight, then I will start lifting. Had I started lifting instead of waiting, I could have made progress alot sooner.

Good luck, just keep at it.

12. LoneStarChick

Thanks. Nice to know I'm not the only one out there! :lol:

Thanks for the words, Shamie. I hope to start lifting soon. I had been lifting for a couple of weeks when I hurt my back. It still hurts but not nearly as badly. I'm going to give it until Aug 1. Then I'm going back to lifting even if it's still sore. I'll just have to start out more slowly this time. By the way, AWESOME pictures!! :tucool: You made quite the transformation, man!

Well, I only posted calories for the first day. So, here is the second day:

MEAL 1:
    Kashi Go Lean Bar: Chewy; Chocolate Almond Toffee

MEAL 2:
    5 Large Egg Whites
    1 Turkey Frank, Jennie-O
    28 g Shredded Cheese
    4 T Pace Salsa

MEAL 3:
    1/2 c Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
    6 oz Carrots, raw

MEAL 4:
    Michelina's Lean Gourmet Chicken Alfredo Florentine
    Can French Style Green Beans

MEAL 5:
    2.5 oz Peanuts

CALORIES: 1510
    FATS: 65
    SAT. FATS: 21
    CARBS: 123
    FIBER: 24.8
    SUGARS: 61.7
    PROTEIN: 91.6

EXERCISE: 45 mins Treadmill, AM, Fasated

Okay, so now for yesterday, the day I did my cardio even though I ABSOLUTELY DIDN'T WANT TO AT ALL!!! You'd think that would have made my day, and I wouldn't want to mess it up after working so hard and winning that little battle. But, right at the end of my shift at work, I had two jalapeno poppers with ranch. And a donut. Then I ate 2 oz more peanuts than I was scheduled to eat. Then we had beer and pizza for dinner. Here's the kicker: I actually ate much less than I normally would. MUCH less. I only had 2 1/2 pizza slices and 2 1/2 beers. That's right. I cut myself off midway through a beer. (Somber moment of silence, please.) But then I topped the night off with some of my kids' Jelly Bellies. So, I ate like a complete pig. And it was still much better than it would have been two weeks ago! It really makes me realize just how much I used to eat! No wonder I gained almost 2 lbs a week!! Well, I said I would be honest about what I eat, so here goes nuthin'!

MEAL 1:
    1/2 oz Peanuts

MEAL 2:
    Michelina's Lean Gourmet Five Cheese Lasagna
    Peas

MEAL 3:
    Kashi Go Lean Bar: Chewy; Peanut Butter and Chocolate
    1 c Low Fat Cottage Cheese

MEAL 4:
    3 oz Peanuts
    2 Jalapeno Poppers from Jack in the Box w/ Ranch
    Jelly-Filled Donut

MEAL 5:
    2 1/2 Slices Ham Pizza from Papa John's
    Side of Cheese Dip from Papa John's
    1/2 Side of Garlic Butter from Papa John's
    2 1/2 Bud Selects
    Jelly Bellies (lots)

CALORIES: 3885
    FATS: 135
    SAT. FATS: 37
    CARBS: 491
    FIBER: 43
    SUGARS: 218
    PROTEIN: 145.4

EXERCISE: 45 mins Treadmill, AM, Fasated

Whew! I'm so ashamed. :o I'm not even weighing in today. Don't think I could take it. :cry:

#12 LoneStarChick, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  13. Rise

Rise Active Member

Tomorrow is a new day to get back on track and get the healthy ball rolling. All you gotta do is keep that ball rolling in the right direction...

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    LoneStarChick, nice going on making a commitment to get healthier. Have you read the stickies?. They're full of valuable information.

Just to second what others have said, do yourself a favor and start lifting and don't put a second's worth of thought into what anyone else is thinking or doing at the gym. Most likely they're not watching or thinking about you, but even if someone is that shouldn't be a deterrent for you. As someone else previously wrote, impress them with your effort. You're at the gym for a reason and you shouldn't let some stranger keep you from what you're trying to achieve.

And yes, this whole thing does become easier. As for yesterday, that was yesterday. Put it behind you and endeavor to make good decisions today.

Lastly, please tell me that you didn't pour out the second half of that beer. You did find someone (hubby?) to do the right thing and drink it, right? :)

Good luck.

15. jchantelau

:lol:

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Jason, I can get around the jalapeno poppers, pizza, and jelly beans, but to waste a perfectly good half a beer is a different story. :)

17. jchantelau

I agree except, however, the pizza does go well with the beer!:lol:

18. LoneStarChick

Thank you, Rise. BTW, you're looking great in your pics! Maybe I'll post some when I start to look better. Keep up the good work!

Yes, I have. They are an AMAZING resource! I've read a couple of them two and three times. I have been cutting calories and exercising for a couple of weeks, but I haven't been eating clean. Tonight I am going to the grocery store to shop for the good stuff. I can't wait! I've been making a grocery list based on what I've read here.

Please. Don't insult me. :lol: I don't think I would poor beer out for ANYTHING, even to put out a grass fire. Plus, my husband would have...well...:spank:. Oh, no, I donated it to a good cause: my husband! :lol:

And, yes, pizza goes GREAT with beer!! One of my faves. But here is what happened last time I drank the beer I should have donated to somebody else:

View attachment 27226

(don't ask...but it was FUUUN!!!:nod:)

#18 LoneStarChick, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  19. LoneStarChick

Good LORD, that picture's big!!

20. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

HOT!!! :lol:

gotta love those nights!