1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Lone Wolf's Beastly Training Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Lone Wolf, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

I think this journal is a good idea. I have logged onto JSF almost every day this fall, which matches my absolute obsession with weight lifting/body building/nutrition/fitness. However, I have been a little relaxed about monitoring my progress and I really need a journal to keep track of what works and what doesn't work for me.

What I'm doing now:

I've been officially bulking for 2 months now. I haven't been keeping track of calories or macros, but I avoid junk food and try to get as much protein as possible. I estimate that I eat between 3000-4000 calories a day.

This excess eating shows! I now weigh about 180-182. This is up from 165 in the summer. I still have some ab definition too! I have a nice before picture, but I need to take an after picture.

I work out 4 times a week. Right now, I do chest/back/shoulders, legs/abs, bi's/tri's/forearms and the last day is whatever I missed through the week. I have only missed two or three workouts the past 9 weeks. I take a lot of rest on my exercises and usually do 3 sets of 8-12. Basically, if I can do 12 reps, I put more weight on and if I can't do at least 8 I take some off. I also do virtually no cardio.

Things I plan on doing:

I want to cut to 6% BF and then bulk again. The cut will take place in the 4-5 weeks this winter break (I'm in college). I'm going to eat 2200-2400 calories per day (45 carb, 35 protein, 20 fat), 4-6 meals per day.

I am going to buy a weight scale, body fat calipers and cloth ruler to measure body parts. I'm pretty much copying John, if you were suspicious at all.

I finish my bulk this week. Next week I am going to max out on some of my favorite lifts, bench and squat... and just workout for fun. Then I'm going to start a cutting program, which I have no idea where to begin. But that's okay, because my cutting program starts Sunday, December 21st and I have plenty of time. Right now I am in the planning phase for my cut, so if anyone has any advice after reading what I've said, please let me know.

Some pictures:

First picture is me in August 17th at 166 pounds.
    Second picture is me November 10th at around 178.

Different amount of flexing/posing, but you get the idea. I have added a little bit of fat and muscle since the second pic, but nothing too noticable.

Attached Files:

2. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

You look awesome. You have killer abs. How tall are you, 5'11, 60?

Great job:tu:

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Thanks! I'm 5'10". Looks like you are doing good too!

12-11-08 workout, Bi's and Tri's.

I started with some pull-ups. Attempted 3x10 with perfect form but only did 10, 9, and then 5 or 6.

Overhead single arm tricep extensions, 30 lbs, 3x10.

Forearm exercise - pipe roll. Attached 12.5 pounds to chain and rolled it up and down 3 times while keeping arms straight forward.

21's - bicep exercise. Load some weights onto a barbell. First 7 bring them up halfway, second 7 bring them up from halfway to top, and last 7 do the full bicep curl. I did 25 lbs per side, then on the second one of 25 lbs per side I failed after 2 full ones. I went down to 20 per side and completed all 21 with the help of my spotter.

Weighted Dips - 20 no weight, 10 with 35 lbs, 9 with 45 lbs.

Standing Bicep Curls - started with 35 x 12 each arm. Went up to 40 and did 40 x 8 each arm. On the last set of 40 I could only do about 5 or 6 with each arm.

Double rope tricep pushdown. Did 110 by 12, 120 x 10, and 120 to failure. I don't remember how many I did for the last one.

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

12-12-08

Did an ab routine that took about about 8 exercises.

Then I did shoulder shrugs with 70-80 pounds...3x15,15,10 I then did upright rows with 35 lbs on each side 3x10.. last one I did to about 8.

Then db bench press. I did 3 sets of 12x70, 10 x 80, 6 x 80.

5. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

May I ask, which exercises you do for your abs?

6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Sure, NY!

Usually, I do weighted stuff. There's an ab machine in our gym, I usually put 100 pounds or so and do 3x10. I do weighted situps and bench leg raises (no weight). I also do cable crunched and some medicine ball partner techniques.

Yesterday, I did all my stuff with 30 reps.

Bicycles, V sits,table tops (where you hold your body straight with elbow and foot touching floor), 6 inches (back on ground, feet 6 inches off for 30 seconds, then I did one where every 10 seconds I'll raise my feet another 6 inches for a total of 40 secs of tension), side crunches, and probably some other things.

Just think of any ab exercise video you've ever seen and do those until it hurts! I usually do weighted stuff because I think it makes my abs bigger and pop, but the quick tempo stuff really helps in terms of speed and agility. That's my theory anyways, totally unproven so don't tell any of your friends.

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Today I signed up for an account at FitDay and now I'm calculating all my food intake with that. My official cut begins on Sunday the 21st, but I figure I'd set up the FitDay and get serious about tracking a week early to get used to it.

8. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

Thank you. I admit that I can be rather lazy when it comes to working abs, because my stomach always tended to be a pretty flat, but now I want to etch some muscle :)

Fitday is my favorite site, other than this one. You'll be able to track everything and add custom foods to your database. It's a great tool.

9. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Yeah, I love it so far!

No wonder my gains on my bulk came to a screeching halt... I have been unknowingly eating at maintenance for the past month and a half. I thought I just had a fast metabolism but today's fitday experiment opened my eyes. It is 7 o' clock and I have one more meal and I'm at 2150 calories. I even went to wal-mart and bought a kitchen scale to weigh my lunch meat, mayo and everything.

If I'm going to do this, I might as well do it right. But for the next month, I'm cutting!

I'm going to make some rules for my cut now.

I will eat 2200 calories per day. If I go running, I will add 80 calories per mile. I'm waiting to figure out my ideal macros.

I will lift 3 or 4 times a week.

Things I need to buy: New weight scale (my current one has a 2 pound swing, very inaccurate), body fat calipers, measuring tape for body parts.

Things I have bought: kitchen scale.

I probably won't get all this stuff until after my cut, so I'm kind of flying blind in right now. I'm poor from buying christmas gifts and being in college.

10. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

I should also mention that I am in some kind of weird transition period between bulking and cutting. Workouts start next week. I tried to max out on bench on Monday (epic fail, got 275 about 8 inches off my chest and then was done) and my hip flexor was hurting for squat. Darn. I did a 15 minute ab workout today (Ab Ripper X from p90x).

After 3 days of fitday, this is what I have averaged:

Calories: 2608

Carbs 41, Protein 32, Fat 27. I have a very active lifestyle so the carbs don't hurt me too much. It's interesting to see how many calories actually keep me satisfied and I feel like a crazy person for weighing my food. I should plan each meal and make it in the morning instead of logging onto fitday about 6 times a day.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

I find myself in that inbetween stage as well but it is a bit of a rest stage as well, a forced one due to being a bit off colour. After xmass I should be right. :bb:
    People look at me wierd too when I tell them i know how many cals and macros I take in each day.
    I am amazed though at the amount I am eating and my body is staying pretty lean, keeping to good foods mainly though.

Great progress though they are a nice set of 'killer abs' you got there.:tucool:

12. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

I'm so glad I'm back at college! It looks like my cutting starts a week later due to being home for the holidays. This also means that I will cut for only 3 weeks. But honestly, at around 8-10 percent body fat, that is all I need.

I still don't have an accurate weight scale or body fat calipers. I probably gained a percentage or two of body fat with all the xmas treats but I did get a pull up bar for christmas. WHOO, I love that thing.

I'm going to aim for 2500 calories per day and a 45/35/20 or 40/40/20 macro split.

My workout regimine starts next week as well. This is what it looks like:

Sunday - Cardio - 30 mins
    Monday - Upper body weights
    Tuesday - Lower body weights
    Wednesday - Cardio - 30 mins
    Thursday - Upper body weights
    Friday - Sprint workout
    Saturday - Cardio - 30 mins

I will do 8-10 exercises, 3-4 sets in the 8-12 rep range. I may segment body parts for upper body days but haven't quite decided yet.

On cardio days I may add a few calories. I will not cave into the temptation of bad food. :nono: Did too much of that the past week. I will also limit my drinking to 2-3 drinks on New Year's Eve. That won't be hard because I am naturally a light drinker.

Thanks for reading and commenting on my journal, NY and Phoenix. You are both awesome and making great progress yourselves.

edit: Here is about what my diet looks like. A lot of this stuff is minimal prep, which is why i do it. PB sandwich, turkey sandwich, cottage cheese. Only thing I need to cook really is the chicken. I will also take a multi. This is mainly what my diet looks like last fall and I made great progress.

I also take a centrum everyday. I realize the huge downfall in my diet is lack of fruits and veggies... thus, the multivitamin is essential.

Attached Files:

• diet.jpg
      diet.jpg
      File size:
      59.1 KB
      Views:
    #12 Lone Wolf, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  13. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Today:
    workout: 4.5 mile run. Didn't time it.
    Diet: spot on

14. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Did a chest/tricep workout.

DB bench - 40 x 12, 60 x 12, 70 x 12, 80 x 8, 70 x failure
    DB Flies - 30 x 12, 30 x 10, 30 x 10
    Overhead tricep extension - 25 lbs 3 sets of 8
    Front raise and pullover 45 for one set then 55 lb for other two sets
    machine push down - 100 x 8, 90 x 12, 90 x failure
    Incline DB press 35 x 12, 40 x failure, 40 x failure

Pretty rocked afterwards. Diet is spot on once again.

Workout took roughly 45-50 minutes.

15. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Legs/Forearms:

First time in the gym for a leg workout in some time. I really need to tape my squat form.

Squat: Did 135 x 10, 185 x 12, 235 x 10, 235 x 8, 235 x 8

Calves - standing calf machine. 180 x 20, 270 x 12, 270 x 10, 270 x 10

Deadlift: 135 x 12, 225 x 12, 225 x 12. Haven't done this exercise in weeks... took it easy.

Forearms - forearm curl - 25 x 12, 30 x 12, 33 x 10, 33 x 10

Did pipe curl 2 times, used 12.5 pounds. 3rd try failed.

Side forearm curls - 35 x 15, 40 x 12

I also did a small ab workout beforehand.

16. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Today is my cheat day. Up until 7PM, I will eat a total of 1080 cals in 53% protein, 25% carbs and 22% fat. At 7 I'm eating at a Mexican place then planning on having about 5 drinks for the remainder of the night. My calories should be somewhere around 2200-2500 because I'm going to drink water at the restaurant, ignore the side dishes and drink light beer afterwards so I know exactly when I hit my limit. I will also still make a healthy choice at the restaurant. My friends are going to be disappointed when I tell them I don't want their new year's shots. But I've done it before. I'll make up some excuse like I always get sick off shots. :madpimp:

Peace out I'm gonna have a good new year!

17. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

I had 5 alcoholic beverages last night. This isn't due to any sort of holding back, I just didn't feel like drinking that much. I'm not a heavy drinker. I had about 1000 calories in me when I went to dinner and probably ate about 1000 more and drank about 500. That would put me at 2500 for that day, which is probably maintenance for me because I have a fast metabolism.

As far as my physical state, the alcohol/sickness/soreness from lifting caught up to me. When I finally went to walk home, my calves locked up really bad. On top of this, I couldn't stop shuddering. I was so cold and I don't know why. When I got home I was freezing even though I had my heat jacked up and the covers over my entire body. I woke up every couple hours to go to the bathroom and drink some water. I felt like I had about 20 drinks in me and was about to die. I even laid on the bathroom floor for a while because I felt so sick. The last time I drink heavily was October 21st, and between then and now I have had a total of three beers. I don't know if my body was rejecting the alcohol or what, but I'm not planning on drinking again any time soon.

18. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

I averaged about 1800-2000 calories the past few days. Some of this was forced because I am sick. I didn't go to the gym to do my regular bicep/back workout because of being sick, but I cranked out about 60 pullups earlier today to make up for it. I haven't been keeping track of macros but I just try to eat a lot of protein.

Being sick sucks btw.

19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Did a chest/tricep workout.

DB bench - 60 x 12, 70 x 12, 80 x 8, 80 x failure
    DB Flies - 35 x 10, 30 x 9, 30 x 9
    Overhead tricep extension (sword pulls) - 30 lbs 3 sets of 10, 8, 7
    Machine flies - 3 sets of shitty ~85 lbs
    machine rope push down 3 sets of 8-10
    Incline + flat DB bench again - 40's then 35's. Did 10 and 10 of each.

Pretty rocked. After seeing myself lose 8 pounds on this cut I am getting antsy and wanting to stop it... especially after lifting w/ my lifting partner for the first time in a month. I don't think I can stay on this cutting diet for long... but I am still at or under 10% and my abs are still ripped. Will probably start my bulk early.

EDIT: Looking at my journal, I now realize that I did around 60 pullups on Saturday... and then another 60-70 yesterday. I AM ADDICTED TO PULLUPS >_<

#19 Lone Wolf, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  20. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Active Member

Did a leg workout:

squat: 135 x 12, 185 x 12, 245 x 5, 245 x 4
    lunge walks: 3x10 w 50 lb dbs
    calves - 20 (4 plates); 12, 9, forgot how many but at least 9 (6 plates)

kneeling pulldown for abs -- 150 lbs. didn't get over 10 reps any time i did them... 3 sets.
    A couple more ab things

3000 calorie per day diet has begun.

#20 Lone Wolf, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009