1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

LLirik's lunch hour abuse

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Llirik, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

At one point in my life, probably after a terrible flight, where I sat next to a crying baby, I swore that if I ever had children, I would sooner sail around the continent than subject another human being to hours in confinement with a whiny child.

So, my wife doesn't really like boats. And we have a child. And he can be whiny. And we need to get from Chicago to New Jersey. Can you guess where this is going?

Tomorrow afternoon, at 12:35 PM, about 100 unsuspecting travelers will board a plane, hoping for a pleasant and peaceful flight. Enter the Kirk family, brandishing a very vocal 15-month old boy, eager to show off his newly learned vocabulary and freshly improved whining skills.

Do airports have 24x7 alcohol service?

2. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Man I don't think its legal anywhere to get a 15 month old drunk.... :lol:

3. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

But man, will he sleep like a baby! :cool:

4. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Yes, they do, but it's for the other passengers, not you, Pop. Take comfort in this: one day, in the all-too-soon future, your son will have a child, and he too will whine, and you will have your sweet revenge! Trust me, I've been enjoying it for a few years now!:nod:

P.S. Just kidding, hope you have a nice trip, and enjoy showing off your handsome son!

5. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

I haven't worked out yet, but I hate sitting on Page 2.
    So here's a dilbert cartoon

[​IMG]

6. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

I have to admit that the flights there and back went incredibly smooth. The airline threw in a free seat for him on the way to Jersey, since it wasn't a full flight, and he chilled in his car seat without making a peep.
    On the way back it was a full plane, so, he had to sit on our laps. He got kinda whiny and impatient toward the end of the flight. But between Mr Potato-head, tons of snacks, learning to turn on the seat lights and socializing with other passengers, we managed to keep him pretty well occupied.

I can't say that I am anxious to do this again, but I certainly didn't expect things to go as well as they did.

7. sevenatenine

Good to hear, I can't really imagine anything more stressful then being trapped in an aluminum tube 30,000' in the air with 200 other people staring at me and my screaming child.:lol:

8. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

I found this workout, and I decided to stick to it for 6 weeks, and see where I end up.

It's called 20-rep-squats workout, and here's the link that a friend of mine sent me. He said i would like it. I did!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer5.htm

I am going to add some diversity to this workout, but keep the basics the same. Dips and pullups are definitely going into this to mix up with rows and bench. Incline bench and dumbell bench / press are gonna get thrown in as well.

Squat: 1x20
    95lbs ( I can probably do this at 105). Wednesday!

Pullovers: 1x20
    55lbs

Stiff-legged deadlift: 1x15
    115lbs - I'll shoot for 120 rest of the week. Will see about next week.

Pullovers: 1x20
    55lbs

Bench press: 3 x 10
    135lbs

Bent row: 3x15
    115lbs

Military press: 12(seated) 6(standing) 6(Standing)
    95lbs
    I SUCKED ASS on that last one. Military press after 3 sets of bench was hard!

9. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Yesterday was cardio and core:
    I was stiff all over the place from Monday's workout, so it was a nice change

20 min elliptical just > 2 miles

Set 1:

Standing barbell twist x 15 each direction
    Hanging leg raises x 15;
    Plank- hold for 60 seconds

Break.
    Repeat x 3

Set 2:
    Turkish getups. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/turkish_get_up_training.htm

This is a really, really cool exercise, and it's something very new to me. It looks great on the internet videos, but I'm sure my form was probably that of a string puppet trying to walk without its handler for the first time.

Turkish getups 15 lb weight - 6 per arm.
    Barbell rollouts x 15

Repeat x 3

10. Rise

Rise Active Member

I just did turkish getups last Saturday for the first time... fun stuff. I felt like I was going to die after doing them, I find the hard part isn't standing up, but laying back down. It's all about good, controlled form with them. My problem is keeping my arm locked out properly and if you can't do that forget aobut breathing.

Apparently the super advanced people can do them with a barbell instead of a dumbell and there's even a video of some guy doing them with a girl curled into a ball on his hand.

11. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

I find the hard part to be everything except laying down :)
    Actually, the hardest for me was to keep my hand pointing straight up, while trying to rise from the squat.

My goal is to kick ass with these. I think it will provide a nice balance to my 6-week 20rep squat schedule, (mentioned above) where most of the exercises keep a lot of the joints locked. I think I'll modify that 6-week program to add exercises with more mobility, while keeping the major muscle groups same.

Yeah, saw that. Wicked!

12. Rise

Rise Active Member

just remember that your arm will rotate while staying locked out from laying to standing and if your arm starts feeling tired, its because it isn't straight up. I need to stretch my shoulder out a lot before attempting them for that reason, my shoulder is pretty tight normally which makes it hard to keep it straight.

13. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Thanks Rise,
    I'll try to keep this in mind next time I'm writhing like a worm under the minuscule weight I'm trying to push with these.

Today's workout:

Squat x20 || 105
    pullups x15 ||
    Stiff leg deadlift x15 || 115
    pullups x12 ||
    Incline dumbell bench 3 x12 || 35 50 50 60
    Seated cable row 3 x12 || 96 108 120 132
    Smith Press 3 x8 || 115 115 115
    Plate swings 2 x12 || 35 35
    Pullups x12 ||

If anyone is actually paying attention to these weights, and has a hard time reading this format, I'll change it.

#113 Llirik, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  14. sevenatenine

One of you guys needs to post a link to the video of the guy doing turkish getups with a chick on his arm, I'm having a hard time picturing this.
    Took a second, but I got it :D

15. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Turkish get-ups are on the Extreme Kettlebell workout that I sometimes use. I like doing them as a change from straight weightlifting as they really help with flexibility.
    Something else I've been working at lately is squats with the bar extended overhead. Using just a light bar at this point with no weight added. The exercise requires a wide leg stance with the toes pointed outward. I find I have to really stretch my back in order to keep the bar from pulling forward and for some reason it feels pretty good.

16. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Ooops... second page again.

Spent Thursday - Sunday in Denver for my friend's wedding. My wonderful wife was very generous and stayed home with the kid.

Felt very jealous of people who live there, an hour drive from beautiful mountains, lakes and just unbelievable scenery. We drove around mountain roads, walking out of the car from time to time to take a short hike and take a some pictures.

The hotel had a small gym, and I actually managed to squeeze in 2 whole workouts in between the drinking and going out at night. Working out hung over and 1 mile above sea level is a whole new experience I probably shouldn't repeat.

Flew in Sunday feeling totally beat up, and took yesterday off.

Going back in today, even though I have a slight cough, and still feel kinda out of it. Maybe some endorphins is what I need to get back into the rhythm of things.

17. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQUlshxO_8

18. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Wow - It's been a while
    I should start posting here again.
    My main forms of working out in the past months have been biking to work (about 12 mile round trip) and an occasional run to the gym - maybe 4-5 times a month.

Let's see if I can get some momentum back.

19. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Welcome back! I remember following your journal back when it was new! :tucool:

20. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

Cheers man.
    Thanks for posting - adds to my motivation!
    I have an 8K Race scheduled for July 11, so I'm getting ready for it.
    have not made it to the gym in a while, but I have been running. 5.1 miles Yesterday morning. Going to aim for 6 Before the week is out.

maybe since I'm not making it to the gym i'll just post my runs here =)